Thread: Is a ps3 reball worth it?

Thanks

Default Is a ps3 reball worth it?

I have an old 60gb ps3 which has ylod.

Im wondering if it is worth getting re-balled. I know they can be re-flowed but im looking for a permanent fix. I'd like to have this console going because of it's backwards compatibility.

Is there any good solution to get some longevity out of the system after a ylod? are there any good cooling mods that can help prolong it's life?

I also have a xbox360 that's just rod for the 2nd time after a "professional repair" but i think it was re-flowed not reballed as I was told it would be. It hasn't seen much use since the fix either. So im a bit skeptical about these types of fixes now.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Hey,

longevity after YLOD? Not really...It can certainly be repaired, but applying some kind of warranty or timeframe of being "fault free" cannot be guaranteed. I do this repair service and from other research i've done I've seen peoples consoles last 3 months to 1.5 years (depending on its use), so its a gamble you take - $100 for "short term" fix, buyi a second hand 60GB or $400+ for a new slim PS3..

As for the cooling mods, there are plenty out there, most of which are sold at retail and are external solutions. My 60GB has lasted years and still going strong - but I think that's more to do with the length of time I play (over a given period) and where I keep it / how i stand it up (etc) to reduce the amount of heat buildup and dust. I'd suggesting jumping on ebay to have a look at some fan solutions, I personally haven't had to use one for my system, though.

Reballing through professionals is 100% more likely to be a better job than just reflowing (like the PS3), as the machinery used to do this is very precise and extremely expensive. I wouldn't bother keeping the RROD X360 if its done it twice, pickup yourself abrand new X360 - and even better; get it JTAG'd! I have one left with a 60GB HDD...Goodluck with the rest!

RoOSTA

Thanks

Thanks,

I'm really not interested in a reflow, if a reball isn't much more reliable. I have a heat gun so i can try my own hack fix, I just don't really want to if there's a better and reliable soulution out there.

From what ive read on extra fans and cooling systems is there's alot of bs floating around and fake claims on performance. Ive seen talk of 19 blade fans and some horrible looking case mods to let more air in but no real reliable comparisons.

I was wondering if new solder and better cooling would prove better than the original stuff. I remember reading someone claiming the lead free solder being one of the culprits for the ylod/rrod heat problems.

Thanks

I know a lot of people that do reflows and reballs.
    I don't know anyone that is 100% confident in their PS3 reballs.

Ive done a few for "fun", but they haven't lasted very long (longest time was about two and a half months) others have had similar results.

Its a pain in the ass to do correctly, not a lot of people are game enough to do it.
    Few cowboys will offer reballing but all they are doing is "refluxing" it lol.

A lot of other things can go wrong as well, YLOD is not only a GPU fault.

19 blade talismoon fans are good in keeping the console cool, but the PS3 60GB already comes with a 19 blade OEM fan.

My Advice,
    Cut your losses and ebay the unit (they do sell ok for spares)
    Buy a PS3 Slim, and if you really want buy a PS2 to play your PS2 games.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbertron View Post
    Thanks,

I'm really not interested in a reflow, if a reball isn't much more reliable. I have a heat gun so i can try my own hack fix, I just don't really want to if there's a better and reliable solution out there.

From what ive read on extra fans and cooling systems is there's alot of bs floating around and fake claims on performance. Ive seen talk of 19 blade fans and some horrible looking case mods to let more air in but no real reliable comparisons.

I was wondering if new solder and better cooling would prove better than the original stuff. I remember reading someone claiming the lead free solder being one of the culprits for the ylod/rrod heat problems.
    Its the way the actual PS3 mainboard is manufactured - think of it like this: the GPU and CPU are "pasted" or stuck in the middle of the top and bottom parts of the mobo, so reball is out of the question, reflow/reflux is your best bet. If you have a heat gun, electronics knowledge and patience, you could attempt yourself. The best internal fans in the phat units are the 60GB anyway, with 19 blades...don't get anything else for inside...but probably not worth doing it thay way, as then you're just wasting money on accessories instead of getting a new console thats more reliable.

Anyone replying here will either say buy a 2nd hand 120GB (cheapest slim)...and if the backward compatability is important to you, slim PS2s are going for about $90 around me...

RoOSTA

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Maybe I'll be lucky and the ylod isnt the gpu yet. I also have been given a laptop with a similar problem, so i think i'll pull the heat gun from the holster soon and shoot 'em all and see how they go .

• 11-11-10, 08:20 PM

Reason
    Spam