Thread: Where can I find working links to SDL Lib for BeOs 5?

Thanks

Default Where can I find working links to SDL Lib for BeOs 5?

OK, don't laugh, humour me! I know its a dead OS, but I'm actually typing this from a working installation of BeOs 5 on an IBM PIII I resurrected from the garage and that I'm intending on giving to my 3 year old. I also know that I can install Windows or Linux on this PC, so don't go there either. I liked BeOs in its day, used it almost exclusively for a while and find it lightening fast and responsive on such old computers. Besides, all of the kids games I have (100's of them) go back to 68K Macs (from my first daughter) and incidentally I have a mac emulator (Basilisk) running on this box anyway ... and BeDock (a MacOsX style dock). So to my request... Last night I tried to install tuxpaint, Anagramarama and a few other games, but they all require the SDL library and a few others. I have tried BeBits, but the links are dead. I tried a couple of Zeta sites, same thing and a few FTP sites, one in Hungary and another in Germany and both files didn't unpack. Corrupted? Whatever. Haiku isn't any good either, I don't think they are compatible. So does anyone on this forum have any idea where the original working copies of those BeOs libraries (LibPack_FULL_user.pak etc) can be downloaded. Were they part of the BeOsMax collection?

Cheers
    OC

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

maybe from this site ?

Mickstv
    Last edited by mickstv; 28-10-10 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks

That was pretty easy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    That was pretty easy
    fromaron, thanks for the link, but the SDL (Simple Directmedia Layer) library and the associated pack isn't distributed with BeOs, nor the upgrades. This installation is already upgraded to BeOs 5.0.3. In fact, for some reason, it was never included in any multimedia package that I know of, being instead offered as a separate download, all links to which are now defunct. I even checked on the Tuxpaint and the SDL sites. Its not very important. Ultimately, I just thought that maybe some else on this forum may actually have a copy. I can't be the only one in the Southern Hemisphere using Be, could I?

Here's a (nostalgic) screenshot for anyone interested in seeing what it tooks like:

Last edited by Optima Collins; 28-10-10 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Added screenshot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mickstv View Post
    maybe from this site ?

Mickstv
    Thanks Mickstv. I couldn't find a working BeOs link on any site for the SDLlib.so or the LibPak_FULL_user.zip files from that page even though they still advertise BeOS. I tried ftp.beos.hu and what ever I can download from there won't unpack, although I did get the 128MB NVidia Graphics Card driver to work last night.

OC

Thanks

Can't you build it from source?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dexex View Post
    Can't you build it from source?
    Thanks for that suggestion, I didn't really want to go down that alley because, unless I find the original port (which I'm sure google has) over the years code, dependecies, routines etc might have changed in referece to the underlying OS making it somewhat more than a trivial effort for a code hacker. I don't really know, I'm just speculating ... but ... on a lazy Sunday afternoon, anything can happen .

OC

Thanks

Default Update!

I just thought I'd let people know how I went in case it may be useful to someone. It hadn't occured to me that the internet archives (archive.org) would have a copy of the files I needed, so I tried to surf a 2004 cache of the website using the wayback machine and sure enough I found what I needed or at least a working link to what I wanted (see screenshot I made earlier). Perhaps, if any of you get into a bind and need a driver or something for your OS or older hardware no longer online, give the archive a try.

Cheers
    OC

• The Following User Says Thank You to Optima Collins For This Useful Post:

tristen (03-11-10)

Thanks

That's a very good tip. Cheers!

• The Following User Says Thank You to dexex For This Useful Post:

Optima Collins (02-11-10)