Thread: VOIP and Bigpond

Thanks

Default VOIP and Bigpond

Hi

I am a new user and wondering if anyone is using VOIP over BigPond wireless network. I have an Elite Gateway and was wanting to connect to my Engin account and make calls using x-lite 4 soft phone.

I am travelling around Aus in a caravan so this is my best option for connectivity.

I have set up the x-lite 4 as per instruction from Engin but the software is unable to connect ("Account failed to enable")

I am wondering if it is necessary to enable any port forwarding or other modem configuration required.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

We're in a similar situation, traveling Aust in a van. I have a telstra next g home gateway modem, running off 12volts permanently connected in our van. It has connection to the laptop and the desktop computer, and one LAN lead also goes to an Ethernet phone I got of Ebay. That phone is set up through Pennytel, and also runs off 12V.

It does work quite well, and with no setup hassles, but working through the Next G wireless network usually gives a very noticeable delay to the message. Once the people you are calling get used to it, it works well, but at first it can be confusing with everyone talking at once.

The other problem is when the network is busy, and one side of the conversation drops out, usually the upload. This usually happens in more remote areas.

CU

Peter

• The Following User Says Thank You to mysticalchemist For This Useful Post:

BriceRowe (09-11-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

And this is the site for Engin instructions

Is a good place to look for forwarding
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Default Re VOIP and BigPond

Thanks Peter - I thought speed may be an issue but I am back home for a while and did not want to re enable my home ADSL connection as I still have a year left on my wireless contract and cant afford to have two ISPs. Sadly my BigPond wireless reception at home is quite poor so would be really frustrating by the sounds of it. Thanks for your post and enjoy the great life!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BriceRowe View Post
    Hi

I am a new user and wondering if anyone is using VOIP over BigPond wireless network. I have an Elite Gateway and was wanting to connect to my Engin account and make calls using x-lite 4 soft phone.

I am travelling around Aus in a caravan so this is my best option for connectivity.

I have set up the x-lite 4 as per instruction from Engin but the software is unable to connect ("Account failed to enable")

I am wondering if it is necessary to enable any port forwarding or other modem configuration required.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.
    Softphones have issues with Windows 7. I also used to subscibe to Engin and experienced issues with softphones. I would suggest you try a Skype subscription. I can confirm that it works a treat with BP 3G and I also use the same sub OS with a Voda subscription. If you need a DID number Skype can accomodate you. A USB handset may solve your problem as well.