Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mango trees

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

Default Mango trees

I want to plant a mango tree. Not sure which one to get. For my gizzard problem it might be best to get one low in fibre and acids. R2E2s seem to agree with me but they are kinda tasteless.

Are there some good dwarf varieties out there? Or is is best to get a "regular" Bowen tree and just prune it?

I already have what I've been told is a "banana turpentine" growing by itself down the back. They are very nice but I can't seem to find any info on the net about it. My aunt used to have a "banana mango" which was also nice and the trees were fairly small-ish. Although maybe they were not fully grown.

Also would like something disease resistant. Yes I want everything.

I have a feeling a certain member with similar name may be of help.

These are my banana turps?

Last edited by Learjet; 11-01-08 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Add image

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Interesting post, while that certain member of similar name reads your post id like to ask him if mangos could grow down south in melbourne. Not too cold Mango?

Thanks

Mackay is just a bit north of Melbin on my maps. I guess you want to grow a mango in your place.

Thanks

You can't go past the Kensington Pride for flavour. I buy my netting from the produce store and put it over my trees as soon as it sets fruit. A good spray with Copper for (black spot) as fruit appears and thats pretty much it.

You can control the tree size by lopping to the desired height. I find the banana mango like the common mango very stringy only suitable for jams and chutneys

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

if you can get a honey gold from some grower up your way get one but i dont think you will be able to.

just go with a kensington pride aka bowen.

plant it on a slight grade for drainage reasons, just a bit of a grade so water dont lay around it.

when the tree come into flower spray with mancozeb or dithane every couple of weeks or after rain, when fruit comes spray with the same and bugmaster or carealal, do this till about 3 weeks before fruit is ready.

do not let it grow above 3 meters, when the fruit is gone prune it, cut of the top and sides till u got a square tree this will force the fruit down.

thats all u need to know. if u wanna know more just ask.

as for mango trees growing in vic, not successfull because of the weather
    mainly frosts, the fruit does not seem to set.

Thanks

There must be a few varieties of banana mango around as these are very sweet and not stringy. A little acid perhaps as they tingle my mouth a little.

Heaps of varieties I never heard of listed here. Some may crop better in cooler sub-tropical areas.

Thanks

Mango posted as I was typing. Thanks very much for the info mate! Pruning to 3m sounds like a great idea!

Thanks

3m dam that could be why mine does not give me fruit, is about 18m FKN huge mother was like that when i bought the house 15yrs ago
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    3m dam that could be why mine does not give me fruit, is about 18m FKN huge mother was like that when i bought the house 15yrs ago
    if all the fruit is off it, cut it back 25%, next year do the same again, top and sides, get it down to a respectable height, i reckon that tree is close to being the same age as me, lol.

Thanks

will do mate and see how it goes
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Thanks

Thanks Mango, looks like ill have to move up north or pay though the nose at the shops.

Thanks

Pruned my banana mango tree back to about 2.5 metres today. Then went and bought a Kensington Pride and planted that. I'm having so much fun.

The nursery had a few Bambaroo mango plants in there also. Not much info on the net other than "Early, medium size, orange yellow blush" so I didn't get any.

In my travels I found a mango tree under trial that is 3 metres tall at 100 years! Check out "mum"

Thanks

dont know why u would want to plant a mango tree where u are ?
    you can buy trays for about $10-$12 from bakers creek to sarina when they in season.

but then again there' nothing like having around 100 kgs of ripe mangoes on ya hands. lol.

Thanks

I dunno, I just want to play with it. Might get a couple of different varieties for extra fun. Thinking of going back and getting that Bambaroo.

The Honey Gold especially nice is it? Didn't see any in any of the nurseries.

One thing I dislike about the Calypso and R2 is they don't peel easily like a banana where the KP and banana variety peels like, well a banana. The others are frustrating to skin.

This 3 metre prune has got me all interested as I can plant more / different trees without taking up the whole yard.

Thanks

Not to mention the hundreds of Rainbow Lorikeets that hop from one fruit to the next taking a bite out of each on the way. Or the Fruit Bats that lob after the sun goes down and eats a kilo each overnight I have about 20 mango trees about 5 metres tall loaded with fruit and sell them out the front of my property 2 for a dollar and they sell like hotcakes

Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post

but then again there' nothing like having around 100 kgs of ripe mangoes on ya hands. lol.

Thanks

dont know why u would want to plant a mango tree where u are ?
    you can buy trays for about $10-$12 from bakers creek to sarina when they in season.

ya u are right mango i lived in sarina for a year and had 3 bowen mango trees when in fruit i had to throw away about 100 mangos a week the smell and bats at night

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
    I want to plant a mango tree. Not sure which one to get. For my gizzard problem it might be best to get one low in fibre and acids. R2E2s seem to agree with me but they are kinda tasteless.

Are there some good dwarf varieties out there? Or is is best to get a "regular" Bowen tree and just prune it?

I already have what I've been told is a "banana turpentine" growing by itself down the back. They are very nice but I can't seem to find any info on the net about it. My aunt used to have a "banana mango" which was also nice and the trees were fairly small-ish. Although maybe they were not fully grown.

Also would like something disease resistant. Yes I want everything.

I have a feeling a certain member with similar name may be of help.

These are my banana turps?

These look to me like Nam Doc Mai mangoes. They are very susceptible to once picked Anthracnose if not properly treated on the tree. Ive never actually heard them called Banana Mangoes before. I guess its the same as people who try to sell NT Mangoes as Bowen Mangoes. (its as if they actually believe that Bowen is a variety of mango)

BTW They dont look too bad hardly any marking on them. You must be doing something right

Thanks

The Honey Gold especially nice is it? Didn't see any in any of the nurseries.

you wont, the only way u can get 1 is if u can get it ( or a graft ) from a farmer.

theres a lot of shit involved in growing them, not the actual growing but the marketing side as they are grown under license, take to long to explain.

the others types u just stick in the ground and bobs ya uncle.

i tried a few but i prefer kp's as most other aussies, the r2e2 is big with asians, and most are exported.

Thanks

if all the fruit is off it, cut it back 25%, next year do the same again, top and sides, get it down to a respectable height, i reckon that tree is close to being the same age as me, lol.
    If they get to the point where you cant actually reach the fruit anymore to pick it there is nothing harmful in making a 1.5 meter stump out of them and then pruning the regrowth; jeez you farmers are weak when it comes to pruning trees. And before you ask I ran an avocado orchid for several years before I became a technician so I might have a clue; we had some 12 meter tall avo's around the place until I got the chainsaw out when the boss wasn't there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by connormmii View Post
    You must be doing something right
    I have totally abused the tree. Didn't even water it. Had vines growing all over it. Now that I will start to prune and look after it, it will probably die Lol.

Has green ants on the tree. I hear green ants are good for mango trees in controlling pests?

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast