Thread: Recording Austar without Mystar

Thanks

Default Recording Austar without Mystar

Hey Guys
    New here so first things first - HI!

My current setup is a 46" Full HD LCD which has Austar connected to it via S-Video and then Austar connected also to a Phillips DVD Recorder via Composite which is connected to the LCD TV via Component (Does not upscale)

I notice a big difference in PQ between watching Austar directly on the TV via S-Video copared to watching it through my DVD Recorder via Compsite. Now my problem starts here, my new TV Full HD that I am getting does not have a S-Video connection for me to connect Austar to, only Composite (Older Austar boxes only use S-Video & Composite outputs)

I really dont want to get mystar as I dont like the fact I have to pay a extra $15 a month to have something that I do not own and does not work very well. I also do not wish to use Composite connection from Austar to my new TV as the PQ is crap compared to S-Video.

I have done some research and found that the Beyonwiz DP-P2 has a AV in (S-Video In) that I can connect Austar to and then connect the DP-P2 tio my new TV via HDMI. I can then record Austar (Setting the Austar box manually) for a lot longer then I can now on my DVD Recorder and without the drop in PQ as it has a 500GB Hard Drive.

Now the big question, how will the PQ look when watching Austar through the Beyonwiz DP-P2 via S-Video and HDMI to the TV. I am guessing it upscales the PQ?

Will the PQ look better, worse or the same then hooking Austar straight to the TV via S-Video???

Also does the Pause live TV, Rewind and record etc work fine on the AV input when watching Austar?

I was also looking at the TRF-2400 Masterpiece HD but it seems they dont have a AV Input for S-video only Composite & Component.

Anyone help me out or point me in another direction for my needs if you think there is a better way then the Beyonwiz or Toppy

Ta

Look Here ->
    Thanks

My recommendation is that you look in the "Buy Sell and Trade" thread on this site. There are many members here who will sell you a solution to your problem.

LeroyPatrol is one who comes to mind, but there are others.

Thanks

Ok ill take a look, just wanted to know what to buy before I go looking

Thanks

Look here to start with.

Thanks

Ok thanks for the help

Thanks

Ok so what is the best and cheapest third party Austar Box that also records Austar?

Thanks

PM sent

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 80xer5antar05 View Post
    Ok so what is the best and cheapest third party Austar Box that also records Austar?
    At a guess I would say one of the single tuner models that leroy sells. Recording is via USB, ie, plug in a USB stick or a USB Hard drive. It also depends if you want a box that does high definition....this is something Fox/Austar are moving to. Foxtel has ( I think ) 17 HD channels now with Austar expected have the same soon.

A non HD box would be cheaper but I would recommend buying one with HD as that is the direction Pay TV ( and FTA ) is going.

Thanks

Thanks guys for the replies

Just a bit concerned that if I pay $300 plus on one of these units, there is nothing to say it will be working in 2-3 months time if Austar decide to screw it all up

Thanks

Just a bit concerned that if I pay $300 plus on one of these units, there is nothing to say it will be working in 2-3 months time if Austar decide to screw it all up
    That's the gamble you take bud.

Fortunately, whatever THEY do to stop you using their card in YOUR box will more likely be gotten around easier than whatever THEY do to stop you using a white card in your box

And if they decide to change it, mediastar have been pretty good at supporting their customers in the past...

Thanks

I didnt think mediastar worked on Austar, only Ultra ones

Banned

Thanks

Default Get the Mystar box then

As you are unsure 20 months @$15 =$300 for Mystar box and you would then have peace of mind.