Thread: Asus WL-500W Multi-Function Wireless Router probs......

Thanks

Default Asus WL-500W Multi-Function Wireless Router probs......

Hey,

Heres a stiffy............

I am trying to setup a Asus WL-500W MF Wireless Router with a laptop that has only .11n connection. The laptop has good signal strength, but cannot connect. Does anyone know where my problem lies ? Does the router need an upgrade to connect to .11n, it connects other laptops on .11g ?
    Maybe some one knows this router, please help !

cheers

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by micmac63 View Post
    Hey,

Heres a stiffy............

I am trying to setup a Asus WL-500W MF Wireless Router with a laptop that has only .11n connection. The laptop has good signal strength, but cannot connect. Does anyone know where my problem lies ? Does the router need an upgrade to connect to .11n, it connects other laptops on .11g ?
    Maybe some one knows this router, please help !

cheers
    ... the WL-500 MF ... is Draft 802.11n compliant, fully compatible with 802.11b/g .. so if your PC is also Draft 802.11n compliant then you should be fine ...

First start by trying to make a BASIC connection - don't use any encryption, have visible SSID ...

... log-into your WL-500 MF via RJ45 port and do a 'site survey' ... check to see if you can 'see' your PC and its corresponding MAC address (if its ID is not visible) ...

If you get past these stages - then its a matter of fine tuning the complete set-up ... one step at a time ...

If you can't get basic 'open' connection to your PC - then you might have something wrong with PC setup ... I say PC since the WL-500 ML seem to work out of the 'box' in the basic (default) setups ...

Hope this helps ...

EDIT: ... BTW ... what laptop do you have and what wireless net hardware does it use? ... its odd that it only supports .11n ... is the .11n network enabled in the laptop? ... just some basic checks ... as I'm not sure which system you have

Thanks

eyesee,
    thanks for your help here, Im doing this for a friend, Ill find out all info about his laptop and post back.

thanks

Thanks

if his got a 2.4ghz cordless phone or any other device operating on that bandwitch, the interference caused by these units will have a similar effect.

maybe try changing the channel that the router uses, move the phones/other devices away or turn them off all togeather.

i havnt used a asus unit so i cant tell you word for word what to do but thats a rough guide.

post back if you need anymore help

goodluck

Thanks

Ok,

The laptop is a Medion 17" MD 96420, it has quick launch key comby of Fn+F1 to enable or disable wireless. It works in accordance with the IEEE 802.11n standard, compatible with 802.11b/g not a. It also has windows Vista home premium...........
    I can see the asus router with a RJ45, and works a real treat, but NO wireless. Setup wireless connection with IP similar to cabled connection, and all without encryption, cannot find wireless. On another laptop with Wireless connection 802.11b/g, and windows XP pro, wireless connection is found no worries, it is only when trying to secure with passphrase and encryption it is lost !
    Maybe windows Vista is the problem and where I should be looking ?

Have tried changing the channel of the router, but no difference......
    Thanks.....