Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My ip addy is sending death threats?????

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Coppers Knocking on your door and asking for the brand of your PC mmmmm
    Run for the hills mate
    That's makes not one bit of sense, unless the computer is Hot

If you are a good Citizen go to the cop shop and get the real story
    if your not a good boy, pot, cards burnt DVD's etc I would be doing a clean up quick smart if you know what i mean LOL
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

I got a phone call from the local cib today they gave me the blokes name and the date it happened.
    I guess my question is how would someone be using my ip address?
    I leave my wireless on 24/7 and have always had security turned on (changed my password yesterday though) is it easy enough for someone to hack in anyway?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoat View Post
    Going by your listed location of Tassie, maybe thats how they do it down there?
    Wasnt your Uncle by chance?

But seriously,
    Like wtf, knowing what pc brand you had would help him?
    Maybe he was scouting around for something else.
    No strangely enough we weren't related unless he is on my wife's side but she's my cousin, there's an awful lot of people at Tassie family bbq's.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to max102 For This Useful Post:

best4less (04-11-10),BillyGoat (04-11-10)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by max102 View Post
    I guess my question is how would someone be using my ip address?
    I leave my wireless on 24/7 and have always had security turned on (changed my password yesterday though) is it easy enough for someone to hack in anyway?
    Many people fail to enable any form of security on their wireless networks.

You say that you have security turned on - but there are many forms of wireless network "security" and some are more secure than others.

If you are using WEP, your network is insecure and can be accessed within minutes!

Use WPA instead, using the strongest key possible. Additionally, follow the advice at

But wireless networks are not the only point of vulnerability, as wired networks can also be accessed via the internet by those with the necessary knowledge and software (this is freely available on the internet!!), so you also need to enable your router firewall and EXCLUDE access to popular ports such as FTP (port 21), Telnet (port 23) etc. (Details can be found in the manual for your equipment).

In other words, lock down your network, wired and wireless, thus making it as difficult as you possibly can, for a hacker to get in.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

best4less (04-11-10),max102 (04-11-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by max102 View Post
    I got a phone call from the local cib today they gave me the blokes name and the date it happened. I guess my question is how would someone be using my ip address?
    Mate, first things first! You need to pro-actively confirm that it really was the police. Anyone can ring up and say they are from the police.

The original guy could have been an imposter. Uniforms can be stolen or faked. The gun could be a replica or toy.
    The car's a bit harder to fake but it happens. People don't check too thoroughly because they are taken by surprise.

Look up the local police in the phone book and YOU ring THEM. Just ask for the person who spoke to you before.

If it is legit, then you can relax a bit and set about securing your network. As you said, you have nothing to hide.

I guess what we are all trying to say is that we are worried someone is trying to scam you or to "case the joint" with a view to coming back later, with friends.

There are several factors about this that look suss:
    (a) As many have pointed out, the police would gain nothing from just seeing your computer. If they seriously thought you'd been sending threats, there is no way they'd have left the computer with you. They'd have taken it away before you could remove the evidence.
    (b) Tassie police acting on behalf of Vic police? Wouldn't they turn it over to the Feds?
    (c) One policeman alone? They usually work in pairs, at least. For something like that, I would have expected a car-load to arrive, some in uniform and some in plain clothes, to take your computer away immediately for analysis. They'd have left a card for you to contact them.

Maybe we are all too skeptical and the cop was a newbie at computer crime investigation but there's only one way to be sure - ring them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Many people fail to enable any form of security on their wireless networks.

You say that you have security turned on - but there are many forms of wireless network "security" and some are more secure than others.

If you are using WEP, your network is insecure and can be accessed within minutes!

Use WPA instead, using the strongest key possible. Additionally, follow the advice at

But wireless networks are not the only point of vulnerability, as wired networks can also be accessed via the internet by those with the necessary knowledge and software (this is freely available on the internet!!), so you also need to enable your router firewall and EXCLUDE access to popular ports such as FTP (port 21), Telnet (port 23) etc. (Details can be found in the manual for your equipment).

In other words, lock down your network, wired and wireless, thus making it as difficult as you possibly can, for a hacker to get in.
    Probably was wpa all fixed now. I will do a virus scan tonight and hopefully won't have mr plod knocking on my door any time soon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coldamus View Post
    Mate, first things first! You need to pro-actively confirm that it really was the police. Anyone can ring up and say they are from the police.

The original guy could have been an imposter. Uniforms can be stolen or faked. The gun could be a replica or toy.
    The car's a bit harder to fake but it happens. People don't check too thoroughly because they are taken by surprise.

Look up the local police in the phone book and YOU ring THEM. Just ask for the person who spoke to you before.

If it is legit, then you can relax a bit and set about securing your network. As you said, you have nothing to hide.

I guess what we are all trying to say is that we are worried someone is trying to scam you or to "case the joint" with a view to coming back later, with friends.

There are several factors about this that look suss:
    (a) As many have pointed out, the police would gain nothing from just seeing your computer. If they seriously thought you'd been sending threats, there is no way they'd have left the computer with you. They'd have taken it away before you could remove the evidence.
    (b) Tassie police acting on behalf of Vic police? Wouldn't they turn it over to the Feds?
    (c) One policeman alone? They usually work in pairs, at least. For something like that, I would have expected a car-load to arrive, some in uniform and some in plain clothes, to take your computer away immediately for analysis. They'd have left a card for you to contact them.

Maybe we are all too skeptical and the cop was a newbie at computer crime investigation but there's only one way to be sure - ring them.
    (a)It's all good he was definitely Police in and in a marked car, he probably just wanted to have a look inside make sure I didn't have a meth lab setup.
    I guess they would have got some good busts over the years doing just that.

(b)No they do it all the time.

(c) They look up history on the address they go to if I was bad ass they would send more than one plus he had his oc spray & gun so he was on a winner.

Thanks

Too many questions and not many answers?
    Just doesnt sound right.
    Smells like ........
    Last edited by BillyGoat; 04-11-10 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoat View Post
    Too many questions and not many answers?
    Just doesnt sound right.
    Smells like ........
    Not sure but are you saying I made this up?

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12