Thread: gross feed meters and clock

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default gross feed meters and clock

Hi has any one noticed that the clock on their meter is 1 Hour out,I rang country energy and they said there is another clock that is internal and it adjust to correct time (i am a bit sus) so if I now start my dish washer at daylight save time say 9 oclock which is shoulder time ,,on the clock on meter it is 8 oclock which is peak time has anybody noticed this on their meter and have you asked your energy supplier about this ..It could be a BIG rourt by energy suppliers to rip us all off of more money ,,,Please EVERY1 who has a gross(smart) meter check it out and complain as I did cheers wazza

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

You would think if there is an internal clock and its set to DST, why isnt the other one and why 2 clocks in the first place, particularly one you cannot see and are not told about ??

And of course the next question is how did the internal clock get set to DST (by Magic perhaps or permanatly set one hour fast?) and if it was 'Pulsed' or whatever, why didnt/doesnt the visible one also adjust accordingly?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

talking to the sparky that installed mine he said they can run off time if the mains frequency is a bit off, and as such should be reset at the next reading, dont know about daylight saving we dont have it
    Last edited by anyone; 06-11-10 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks

My guess is that the meters just record in standard time, they also record date as well as time. When they download the data for your billing cycle they would then adjust the rates to accommodate day light savings in the billing system. Be much easier to do that then change 100 000 thousand meter clocks.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

They control off peak HWS by 'pulsing' the Mains so doing a few clocks wouldnt be too difficult to arrange.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    They control off peak HWS by 'pulsing' the Mains so doing a few clocks wouldnt be too difficult to arrange.
    They seem to be relying on this a lot less these days, when ever we get a faulty ripple switch Energy Aust deletes the ripple switch and install a new meter that uses a clock with inbulit timer. They program either off peak 1 or offpeak 2 into it. If also seems a couple of times a year we get heaps of phone calls on a particular day because people have run out of hot water. It turns out the whole suburb just missed the pulse.

Another side note, at my other job we have a UPS running an important bit of equipment. One night at about 10pm it just went pop! Dead as a dodo. I rang the support guy that manages these systems and he said that he has lost 5 this year and when he has checked the logs on the dead GPS units they have all died around off peak signal time. He lost 3 from the same location and had to get a filter made to block the ripple. He said it seems to be working so far.