Thread: Error message problem

Thanks

Default Error message problem

Hi All,
    Long story short, Sold a hard modded Wii on EBay which also had Homebrew channel installed, Was working all OK prior to sale, Did display "An error has occured, Remove disc and check Wii operations manual" message very occasionally when it failed to read/boot the occassional backup disc but would then play the same disc OK 9 out of the next 10 reboots when retested.

Anyways the buyer receives the gear and all is OK and he leaves me positive feedback then a few days receiving after he says that this same error message (as above) now appears on screen on every disc he tries, So he cracks the sads and claims a PayPal refund claiming that "He didnt do anything to it and I sold him a "dud" so PayPal believes him and he gets a refund" I got it all back in the mail yesterday and tested it.

Found that the error message is now happening with all discs as he said but now the same error message now happens when you go to open any of the standard channels also like the photo channel or the shopping channel or the mii channel etc, The console boots up OK and all the browsers etc look OK but as soon as you attempt to load any disc whether it be original or not OR open any channel now the error message comes up straight away.

This was definately NOT happening prior to sending it too him, The version number remains unchanged but the interesting thing is that all the games that I sold him with it are all shown as saved games in the Wii so he musnt have had too much trouble loading them all at some stage.

Got no idea what he has done but suspect he has attempted to update off one of the discs (which were all NTSC backups) or load up some homebrew or app of his own or something similar, I think he has tried something and he has run into poo and sent it back to me.

Any ideas on what may have happened or how to repair, Tried reformatting the whole lot - No good, Tried a different drive to see if I can get a disc to spin up - No good, Tried deleting the Homebrew Channel - No good. Tried removing the modchip - No good, Tried heaps of different discs - No good, Tried updating to 4.3 as a last resort - Still no good Still get the same bloody error message ...Any ideas folks?

Thanks
    Common Sense isnt Rocket Science.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I don't know much about them being chipped but if you softmod them you have to turn the Wii updates off. So it dosen't update the operating system.

He might of updated the Wii Operating system do you remember what version yours was ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DND View Post
    I don't know much about them being chipped but if you softmod them you have to turn the Wii updates off. So it dosen't update the operating system.

He might of updated the Wii Operating system do you remember what version yours was ?
    Was a 4.1E and came back the same, I updated to 4.3 as a last resort but still had no luck

Thanks

Its very weird that the standard channels are playing up too..
    You might have to crack it open and see if everything is where it should be and nothing has come loose from the mod-chip wiring and shorting somewhere.

Thanks

Its very weird that the standard channels are playing up too..
    You might have to crack it open and see if everything is where it should be and nothing has come loose from the mod-chip wiring and shorting somewhere.
    Thanks DND, Done that too, Even completely removed the chip and still no luck.... Hmmm. Might be one for the parts bin I think. Dont know what the heck he's done but he's done a nice job on it. Thanks anyway

Thanks

something similar(in terms of the fault) occured on a customer's Wii..he softmodded later & then couldn't play metriod other M...tried updating the f/w as you did, but same thing.....I believe the stuffed around so much the Cios files that it could not be resurrected back to 100%......so maybe this guy did the same? If you have a backup of your Nand, flash it & see how it goes.
    PrecisionMods

• The Following User Says Thank You to Ljay For This Useful Post:

polarbear (18-11-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ljay View Post
    something similar(in terms of the fault) occured on a customer's Wii..he softmodded later & then couldn't play metriod other M...tried updating the f/w as you did, but same thing.....I believe the stuffed around so much the Cios files that it could not be resurrected back to 100%......so maybe this guy did the same? If you have a backup of your Nand, flash it & see how it goes.
    Thanks as always for your help LJay, Unfortunately I dont have a backup of the Nand, Got to love some people when they do sh*t like this, He gets the refund and I get bent over..... Grrrr

Thanks

maybe you should try softmod'ing it now.... you havn't got anything to loose

Thanks

maybe you should try softmod'ing it now.... you havn't got anything to loose
    Cant do it mate, Have updated to 4.3 so I can only put the Homebrew Channel on via the Indiana Pawns hack but the console cant read a disc at the moment (because of the problem) so I think Im cornered?

Thanks

Do a google search. you will find that there is a way to downgrade 4.3 to 4.1.
    i haven't done it myself as i haven't updated past 4.1