Thread: Configuring DLink router for Torrents

Thanks

Default Configuring DLink router for Torrents

OK, well ive never had issues with torrent download speeds in the past, but since the new instal of XP, i ran teh latest Bitcomet and its telling me there is somethign blocked on the router side of things,
    So i log in and check the settings, tweak the firwwarll blah blah and then whammo, nada

Then i check this thread port scan thing and how XP SP2 is now default set to 10, which is ok coz u really dont need mroe than 10 port scans a second IMO, so i left it as it was...

I go in and nothings downloading.. i just get the orange lite teling me i can see them, but i cant downlaod from them.

So i get rid of that and try to reboot.. nada nothgn widonws XP locks up.

Do a restore, all is well..

install bitcomet 6 and it SEEMS to be working and at leat now im getting speed, but only abotu 15kb per torrent (im running a 150k connection) so it still seems a lil slow..

any ideas on how i can get this tweaked?

The torrents i have checked are small and usually ones with tonens of traffic, one is showing over 150 seeders and 200 odd peers so it should be faster than 15k..

Any thoughts?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

hey padre

have you tried a different program like utorrent? meant to be the best around

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Whats the model of the DLink?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

The following is for a DLink DSL-502T, common DSL modem. If this is not the modem you have reply with your Model # and I'll see if I can help.

BitComet chooses a random port to listen on when you install it. Before we can forward ports for BitComet, we need to find out what port BitComet is using. Go ahead and open BitComet.

Step 1: In the menu at the top of your screen, click Options. Clicking Options will cause a menu to drop down. In this new menu click Preferences.

Step 2: In the menu on the left the top option Connection should be selected. On the right hand side of this window you should see a Listen Port option. That is the port that you need to forward. You can change it if you like.

Step 3: There is one more thing we need to do. We need to shut off the UPNP of BitComet.

In the menu on the left hand side under Advanced, click Connection. There should be an Enable UPnP Port Mapping(XP only) checkbox on the right hand side. Make sure it is unchecked.

Step 4: To setup port forwarding on this router your computer needs to have a static ip address. Give your PC a static IP.

Step 5: Open a web browser like internet explorer or Netscape. Enter the ip address of your router in the address bar of your browser. By default the ip address should be set to 192.168.1.1.

You should see a box prompting you for your username and password. Enter your username and password now. By default both the username and password are admin. Click the Ok button to log in to your router.

Step 6: Click the Advanced link near the top of the page.

Step 7: The menu on the left should change. In this new menu, click Port Forwarding.

Rule Name = BitComet
    Private IP = YOUR PC's STATIC IP That you set up in STEP 4
    Protocol = TCP
    Port Start = (PORT verified in STEP 2)
    Port End = Same as PORT START
    Port Map = Same as PORT START & PORT END

Step 8: BitComet requires you to forward the ports you entered above. Go ahead and enter the settings shown above into the Virtual Server menu and then click Apply.

And that is it! You are done!

Thanks

Use the following site to setup your router