Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VAST card activation assistance

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Default VAST card activation assistance

My area is due to switch off analogue in may next year. Not wanting to wait that long, can anyone assist with getting a card activated sooner if I buy a receiver?

TIA.......Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    My area is due to switch off analogue in may next year. Not wanting to wait that long, can anyone assist with getting a card activated sooner if I buy a receiver?

TIA.......Leroy
    Yes, analogue in your area goes off on May 5 2011, but don't you already have all terrestrial digital channels?

Thanks

Quite a lot of N.E.Vic is unable to receive the new FTA TV digital signals - lots of hills and valleys - less of a problem for analogue.

You can check your coverage at the Govt website

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Leroy, if your in an 'Approved area' you should be able to apply for activation after December the 15th from what I read.
    But even so with the May cutoff date, January 1st should be the latest date you can apply from, ie 6 Months Before Termination of the Analog Transmissions which to push the point is really back to the December 15th date.
    I wouldnt ring any of them before the Dec 15th date as I would guess they would play the 'Havent Got a Clue' game but ring after that and hopefully you should be approved.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

I don't think any one has worked out how to activate other than through official channels. If you are in regional Victoria and can't receive a terrestrial signal you should be eligible to register from 15 Dec. If you ring 1800 20 10 13 they will tell you how to go about it. I'd call them before buying the box just to make sure you are eligible. has a useful tool to help you check eligibility.
    Last edited by briand; 20-11-10 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Premium Member

Thanks

I meant to say to RING first before buying but knowing Govt departments and getting them to admit 'such and such is available from' is like getting a politician to keep an election promise particulary where Govt announcements are concerned.
    I am waiting impatiently for the 15th of December to try for an activation under that SE and Regional or Remote Area they mentioned previously.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

not trying to hijack the thread but is there a limit as to how many boxes you can have ???

or is it only one per address??

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by efab View Post
    not trying to hijack the thread but is there a limit as to how many boxes you can have ???

or is it only one per address??
    I haven't seen any restriction placed on quantity, although at some point it would look suspicious if there were too many registered to a single house.

There are of course some places like apartment complexes, etc, which would require more boxes than a typical home, but there would be minor address differences. Other exceptions would be hospitals, etc.

When registering a decoder, you are required to list all other decoder/smartcard serial numbers located at the address.

Thanks

I dont see a problem having atleast 3 or 4 decoders at one address.
    The way i see it , the modern household has more than one tv.
    I,am looking to replace 3 , maybe 4 optus Aruora setup decoders for Vast units(after the 15 Dec) for my lounge rm, games rm , kids rm & and the mans palace( the shed).
    And they dont have to be all under the same name either i suspect, like my son has his own Aroura card to at the same add.
    It a free country & there is no law to how many TVs
    I can own & operate that i know of.

Anyway thats my 2 bob worth.

Thanks

Would it be illegal to swap or give away as a gift registered boxes?

Premium Member

Thanks

Dishtracked, in this instance my view is that the least said about that the better.
    Basically the STB dont ever go nowhere but 'THERE' , not next door, not doing a 'Leyland Bros' tour BUT ???????????

Thanks

People move around...if I spend money on this decoder-card and I move to the next street, next town or even if I move state, ....sure I will take it with me.
    it's me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by it's me View Post
    People move around...if I spend money on this decoder-card and I move to the next street, next town or even if I move state, ....sure I will take it with me.
    it's me
    by the time we get it in WA things will surely have changed

3 years is a long time, by then it may even have shut down with a change in govt

stranger things have happened

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

I'm sure if a few of us can "get over the line", some help will come your way.

As you know, some here have it already, so it's pretty do-able...there's a right way and a wrong way to go about getting it turned on, and it appears there will be a lot in the wrong camp, if eligibility restraints aren't rexamined. It is a service to help, but at the momment is not performing to it's initial charter...of course, my opinion don't count though.

Good luck team.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    I'm sure if a few of us can "get over the line", some help will come your way.

As you know, some here have it already, so it's pretty do-able...there's a right way and a wrong way to go about getting it turned on, and it appears there will be a lot in the wrong camp, if eligibility restraints aren't rexamined. It is a service to help, but at the momment is not performing to it's initial charter...of course, my opinion don't count though.

Good luck team.
    Having said that mate, come the 15th of December, a LOT of people will gain access to this service in the REMOTE CENTRAL & EASTERN AUSTRALIA regions as explained when you enter your address into this website:

Thanks

Be careful with the My Switch website, I put in my address and was informed that my signal was variable (this I already knew as I am surrounded by trees ), however I checked again on Monday and I'm now classified as good, the next house up 50 metres away has variable showing the direction of the best signal to another transmitter.My area is due to have analog switched off in Jan/Feb so I can apply in Dec. me thinks that they are still adjusting the areas.
    Geoff

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

I have noted that too on a few addresses I have looked at before. In some instances where it says variable, it then says to consult with a qualified technician, but in other variables, says you can get vast.

It's not the best site to understand, and, if you nominated an address from the status myswitch gives, filled in ur form and sent it, I guess there is possibility of a rejection. You would have the box, shelled the dosh out, and be sitting with nothing I suppose. If you then "picked" another area, I wonder if they would cross reference the two applications via card number? Perhaps I am being too "CSI" in my thoughts?

I can find locations not far from me that says there is no coverage, and go to Vast, but the other info says to wait until 6 months before your analogue turns off.

Thanks

My Switch is a great tool, but like all technology it's not 100%.

Ensure you tick 'Show coverage' in 'My Switch' which indicates predicted reception. It also shows the licence boundaries if the right box is ticked.

Small movements of location may put you in a 'predicted reception corridor'.

Unfortunately you must be in a reception zone to view the predicted coverage. If you are in a non-reception zone move it to a location with likely reception and hit 'refresh'.

If there is potential coverage from two transmitters move location until you pick up the required transmitter. You can then drag and zoom the map back to your place.

Note:
    Q. Why does the coverage dissappear when I zoom into the map?

A. Current issues with versions of internet browsers, with a particular focus on Internet Explorer, prevent the coverage image from being displayed past particular levels of Zoom in the map view.

After a successful search for and address or the refreshing of a search following movement of the location pin, the zoom level should allow coverage to be visable. Zooming in past this point can cause the coverage to disappear.

NOTE : This does not affect the prediction of your coverage in mySwitch only the visual representation of coverage in the map.
    Much of the predicted coverage in marginal areas ... is just pure fantasy.

But some is surprisingly accurate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmsky View Post
    My Switch is a great tool, but like all technology it's not 100%.

Ensure you tick 'Show coverage' in 'My Switch' which indicates predicted reception. It also shows the licence boundaries if the right box is ticked.

Small movements of location may put you in a 'predicted reception corridor'.

Unfortunately you must be in a reception zone to view the predicted coverage. If you are in a non-reception zone move it to a location with likely reception and hit 'refresh'.

If there is potential coverage from two transmitters move location until you pick up the required transmitter. You can then drag and zoom the map back to your place.

Note:

Much of the predicted coverage in marginal areas ... is just pure fantasy.

But some is surprisingly accurate.
    I'm more confused than ever. I reside in Nhulunbuy NT, however when I enter my details, I am informed that:

Your search indicates that you are in the:
    REMOTE CENTRAL & EASTERN AUSTRALIA
    switchover area, which switches by
    2nd Half 2013

Firstly, I thought that Central and Eastern Australia were being switched over on 15 Dec.
    Secondly, I am advised that I am in a strong signal area - obviously suggesting current terrestrial analogue coverage.
    Thirdly, I have 2 current authorised Aurora cards for Nhulunbuy (on the basis of dodgy reception) and was previously advised through this forum that these cards would entitle me to autormatic authorisation for VAST.

Can somebody advise please.

Thanks

There's an analogue translator on Mount Saunders, Nhulunbuy (right in town).

ABS/SBS is slated for digitisation, sometime?

Commercials not covered by legislation??? Read the text.

But ... you're right to go on the 15th.
    Last edited by Farmsky; 25-11-10 at 10:10 AM.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast