Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about voip...???

Thanks

Default Question about voip...???

I have the option to use VoIP at my current address and have been wondering if the following will work as I have NO idea about this.

I have 2 phone outlets in the house.

1 outlet has my wireless router for internet plugged in and the other has my panasonic wireless phone in it.

If I buy a VoIP adaptor, is it as simple as plugging the adapter into the phone socket.

Probably sounds like a silly question, but hey I ain't no rocket scientist....

Shagga

Look Here ->
    Thanks

If you buy an adaptor you will need to plug it in to one of your internet router available port, assuming your router has four ports you will need one for the VOIP adaptor (ATA).
    Then the phone(s) you dedicate to VOIP account has to be plugged in to the ATA "Phone" port.
    There will be also some fiddling with the ATA configuration, but there are lot of information available on a net.
    One thing to consider though. Some people having problems with some Panasonic cordless phones and the ADSL modems due to interferrence. I have Panasonic one it works flawlessly, so don't know about this.
    Hope this helps

Thanks

Has helped clear it up heaps mate, much appreciated....
    I thought I would be able to plaug straight into the wall...lol.
    I have a 4 port wireless router, so I will be covered....I will have to check and see if I can get good price on an adapter now....

Cheers
    Shagga

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shagga66 View Post
    Has helped clear it up heaps mate, much appreciated....
    I thought I would be able to plaug straight into the wall...lol.
    I have a 4 port wireless router, so I will be covered....I will have to check and see if I can get good price on an adapter now....

Cheers
    Shagga
    Check ebay, I actually got myself an obsolete Linksys PAP2 ATA for $25AU pp.
    Very good little adapter, a bit confusing configuration wise at the beginning. After I got it working properly was amused with the audio quality and overall performance. Heaps of features also.
    If you get yourself one of this can help you with required regional settings, dial plan etc.
    PAP2 or Sipura 2000.
    BTW, I just realised you still have your PSTN phone as well. You might want to have a look at Sipura with PSTN port for fall back and sharing the same phone between two networks. When configured properly makes very good phone system, being able to place and receive both PSTN and VOIP call on the same phone.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Shagga , I have setup a few for people recently and for ease of setup and good value I would recommend Engin.

You can get a Voicebox ( ATA ) from them on a 12 month contract for $29. I dont usually recommend contracts , but once you have Voip there is no way you would leave. Engin have a $14.95 plan which includes all local and STD calls free. I am getting good value out of it. They also have a $9.95 plan where local and std are 10 cents untimed.

If you want a new all in one , they have the Netgear wireless modem/router with 2 built in voip ports which is what I have. I had one crap itself , but they were lightning fast to replace it. Its not cheap , but they may have a reduced contract price on it.

Thanks

Cheers guys,

So Sanity, That sounds great, I have one question...If say I sign up with internode for my internet and have my Voip with Engin.....who would I be paying line rental too...??? or do I have to pay line rental to someone else...???
    Internode don't mention line rental that I could find on their site.

Cheers

Shagga

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shagga66 View Post
    Cheers guys,

So Sanity, That sounds great, I have one question...If say I sign up with internode for my internet and have my Voip with Engin.....who would I be paying line rental too...??? or do I have to pay line rental to someone else...???
    Internode don't mention line rental that I could find on their site.

Cheers

Shagga
    Change your phone to Telstra Homeline Budget which is $19.95 a month. It is the cheapest line rental you can get. All outgoing calls are then via Engin and the only bill from Telstra will be $19.95. Your internet cost might go up by $10 a month though if you are getting cheaper internet by having your phone with Internode as well as internet.

I am presuming you are paying Internode for phone and internet ??

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

VOIP works a treat with a Linksys voip router
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Administrator
    Thanks

This shows the options Engin sells. I was wrong on the reduced rate for the 3102 voice box , its $49.95 on contract.

The Netgear unit is $180.00 on 12 month contract if you want to upgrade all your current hardware in to the one unit. It is a modem /4 port router with 2 Voip ports so you can have 2 phone lines with Engin if you want ( I have 2 , one for the kids , one for me and the missus - no more fighting over phones ). Its extremely easy to setup.....simply log in to it at 192.168.0.1 and put in your adsl user name and password and you are connected. The voip auto downloads a configuration file and you are up and talking.

I am setting up a 3102 for an 85 year old gentleman tomorrow , he is Dutch and has gone a plan that is $19.95 a month and he gets free local calls , free national calls , and free calls to 8 countries including the Netherlands which he is pretty stoked about as he can call all his friends in the Netherlands and talk for as long as he likes and as often as he likes.

Thanks

Ohh...OK....I am with iinet at the moment, alright I have broke it down to this below, pretty sure I have covered everything...Does it look right..

Current: Iinet

8000/384 - 60gig = $129.95
    Line Rental = $29.95
    Phone Calls = $70
    Total = $229.90 per Month

Planned: Internode

8000/384 - 55gig = 119.95
    Line Rental - Telstra = $19.95
    Voip Engin = $14.95
    Total = $154.85

A Saving of $75.05/month....Dam...

Shagga

Thanks

shagga,
    I take it your exchange is not ADSL2+ compatible?
    Otherwise I'd suggest to upgrade, you will save much more by upgrading even by staying with iinet
    I am off the hook from big boys completely and very happy about that.

Thanks

Nah mate...cant get adsl2 where I live....I am getting around 750kb to 770kb from my 8000k though...

Administrator
    Thanks

Yes , thats correct mate , or will be when you are up and running with all your Local and National calls free of charge .As many as you want , as long as you want . Depending on how many calls you make , paying $9.95 and 10 cents untimed Local and National may suit you just as well. You might have to look over your current phone bill and do some calculations , but you may also use the phone a lot more knowing its capped. Calls to mobiles are billed though at 27 ?? cents a minute I think which is still reasonable.

You still need hardware though. I believe Internode prioritises Voip traffic , I can say that I have had no trouble at all in quality , drop outs or anything as I am with them on a 1500/256 plan but changing to 8000/384 next month.

Thanks

Cheers mate, a saving of $70 a month with pay the hardware off pretty quickly.
    Also yes Mrs66's parents are a national call and we are always keeping the phone calls to them to a minimum. Will be much nicer house if I dont have to hassle her about calling her parents so much....

Thanks from a happy Shagga

Administrator
    Thanks

You can also purchase a phone number in your inlaws local area if available for $5 a month which is connected to your account. They can then ring that number which is a normal local call to them , and as it is connected to your account connects to your phone. So instead of you being a National call to them , they can call you as a local call and pay whatever their local call rate is.

Thats if you want to spend $5 on them

If you have any hassles or questions , feel free to PM or email me.

Thanks

After doing some more research, I found that the $19.95 telstra home phone doesnt allow you to have internet from a third party on that line, you have to be on the $26 plan....either way, thats still a huge saving for me so its all full steam ahead for me arrange for the change tomorrow...

Administrator
    Thanks

You can have ADSL1 with anyone you like and have Homeline Budget. They tried this on me , I had several arguments over it before they gave in.

I just tried to find some info on it for you and cant access telstra.com

Thanks

Have a read of this...

Thanks

Hi,

I am with ttps://www.mynetfone.com.au

I reckon they are the cheapest and the best.Have a look for yourself.

Cheers

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toor View Post
    Have a read of this...

Same argument I had with them.

In the end , they said they would do it but it probably wouldnt work. It does

They feed their sales people all sorts of shit , they honestly have no idea what they are talking about. They seriously think there is a reason why Homeline Budget wont work because thats what they have been told.

You just con them in to doing it and if it doesnt work you will ring them back

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast