Thread: Part access to VAST - apparently a goer!

Thanks

Default Part access to VAST - apparently a goer!

Just had an interesting call to 1800 20 10 13 – Digital Ready hotline.

Rang enquiring if I could register for the VAST service for the secondary and third commercial channels ONLY that are NOT transmitted from the local terrestrial transmitter and was advised, after checking with a "colleague" that I could apply for a service!

I was advised I would have to pay for the equipment (obviously with that statement a lot of cases where the government must be picking up the tab!), which is no significant issue, although interested to see if this actually is the case?

Not sure what to make of this - as would hate to invest in this and find that I am ineligible because of some caveat that not even their own staff are aware of. I can't help my optimism as why go to extraordinary efforts with the encryption of free-to-view tv? Surely there must be a knock on effect that I will find out in due course!

Background information, live in an area that Win Television services, in that like the Riverland, we have a unique arrangement where this corporation transmits 7, 9 & 10 commercial content (primary channel only), all on the same transponder. Other sites owned by Win (excluding WA) focus on channel 9 and its second and third offerings, which obviously have competition from other providers in that area (i.e. Prime).

Our shutoff of analogue is the 15th December, so will definitely make another call in the meantime to the above number to confirm that they are consistent. If any other member here wants to enquire about the same, interested to see if you get a different answer.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

In Whyalla S.A at least I believe CURRENTLY they now have all the primary Digital channels (7/9/10) but only the primary part of the suite of programming BUT according to Sen Conroy and a Letter drop in the area, this will change no later than MAY 2011.
    According to reports those areas where the Digital Transmitters cant broadcast the full compliment of Digital programming, these locations will be upgraded so that ALL terrestial areas will have the basic metropolitan service even if its later than the Analog switch off for that area.
    So I would check again because bluntly if this is the case, I believe it would be a waste of money unless you get ALL the V.A.S.T channels.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 22-11-10 at 01:59 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Re Spencer Gulf area (Whyalla) the broadcaster has issued this media release:

"Spencer Gulf and Broken Hill television viewers will receive a comprehensive suite of new digital TV channels in 2011.

Southern Cross Media’s Victoria/South Australian Group General Manager Rick Lenarcic said that Southern Cross Media was pleased to be able to introduce the new digital television channels as part of a joint Government and broadcaster initiative announced earlier this week by Communications Minister Senator Stephen Conroy.

“We’ve successfully provided Channel 7 and 10 programming for many years and recently
    introduced Channel 9 to the market in the digital format. The roll out of these new digital channels is another step towards providing our loyal viewers with access to the same programs as the capital cities enjoy” said Mr Lenarcic.

The new channels being introduced by Southern Cross include GO! and GEM from the Nine network, 7 Two and 7 Mate from the Seven Network and One from Ten. Negotiations are continuing with the Ten Network in relation to the supply of their recently announced Channel 11.

“Our company has worked closely with the Gillard Government to improve access to television in South Australia and Broken Hill and we are very excited to be able to take this next step in the roll out with the funding assistance provided by the Government,” he added.

“With only weeks until the regional SA digital switch over on 15 December 2010, we are encouraging anyone who has not yet converted to digital TV to avoid the rush and purchase a set top box or digital TV now.

With analogue TV switching off we will have the transmission capacity to start these new digital channels in the first half of next year. We expect to have the first of them on air early in the new year and hopefully all will be available by the end of June 2011” said Mr Lenarcic.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grumblebum For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (14-12-10),Mysterex (14-12-10)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I must say when you read that release you would think the Broadcasters are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts for their 'Loyal Viewers' when in fact the Govt is picking up half the tab and this vararity of programming should have been implemented years ago when 'Aggregation' occured.
    But I guess its better late than never !!!!
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Mysterex (14-12-10),Smacca (14-12-10)