Thread: Mobile Broadband

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default Mobile Broadband

Just over a month ago Telstra released their new mobile broadband by the name of BigPond ULTIMATE USB Device.
    Claimed speeds are up to 42Mbps, making even the best and fastest ADSL2+ users very envious.
    They have reduced their normally overpriced plans to resemble something a bit more respectable.

I certainly don't work for them, nor do I endorse their products, this is just general info that is available on their website.
    In saying this, due to my situation and requirements, I am very much restricted to the (now old) USB Next-G pre-paid mobile broadband.
    This is very expensive, but allows me to go places and have coverage where all other providers fail.

Is anyone here using this particular one. If so, what do you think about it, the coverage (especially rural & remote), the speed, reliability...: questionmark:
    I'm keen to know from the horses mouth (i.e. real users) rather than going by a fancied dressed up telstra advert.

Here are the details:

Uploaded with

October 18, 2010
    Telstra today started selling its upgraded mobile broadband modem to the wider consumer market, after several months of offering the device — and its theoretical network speeds of up to 42Mbps — to big business customers and the government sector.

The telco’s Ultimate modem is — on paper — up to twice as fast as Telstra’s existing USB modem. However, customers will need to be in a coverage area which supports the increased speeds through the High-Speed Packet Access (HSPA+) specification the device uses.

So far, those areas are limited to capital city central business districts, as well as some airports, “selected metropolitan hubs” and more than 100 regional centres. Typical download speeds in those areas will range from 1.1Mbps to 20Mbps — comparable to speeds offered through ADSL2+ broadband.

Telstra will offer the Ultimate USB modem for zero dollars upfront on a number of mobile broadband plans on a 24-month contract. Its statement today did not disclose what it would sell the modem for outright, but it has previously stated the upfront cost as $299.

The telco has a range of plans with varying amounts of data, from $29.95 per month for 400MB of included quota, to $39.95 per month with 3GB included. It has also introduced two new plans today — a $59.95 plan with 7GB of data, and a $89.95 plan with 12GB of data included.

(Plans have dropped)

BigPond Liberty® 400MB 24 months From $9.95
    BigPond Liberty® 1GB 24 months From $19.95
    BigPond Liberty® 3GB 24 months From $29.95
    BigPond Liberty® 7GB 24 months From $39.95
    BigPond Liberty® 12GB 24 months From $69.95

And that’s not all the telco is planning for its Next G network.

Telstra has previously said it was planning to again double its peak network speeds from 42Mbps to 84Mbps in 2011, through the implementation of the HDPA+ Dual Carrier plus MIMO (multiple input, multiple output) technology.

The next step after that will be the introduction of Long Term Evolution (LTE) technology, which rival carriers such as Optus are also planning.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks

If anyone does have this one device, and you are/have used it in the following areas, I'm really keen to hear your feedback on what you think of it.

WA - Lancelin to Yanchep;
    SA - Whyalla region;
    SA - Kingston to Mt Gambier region;
    VIC - Myrtleford to Beechworth areas;
    NSW - Cooma & Griffith;
    NT - Humpty Doo & Noonamah areas.