Thread: BLu Ray Players/Drives; what detup do YOU have?

Thanks

Default BLu Ray Players/Drives; what detup do YOU have?

Hey guys,

Like others on here, I too am in the market for a blu-ray entertainment system. I'm looking to get a BR writer for my PC and also a BR player/recorder with inbuilt HDD - enablind me to record any future Full HD programming and later burning to a BR DVD disc for backups, rip movies and over time start a BR library, since watching my backed-up DVDs on a large screen LCD or plasma just doesn't cut it these days, too much compression...why i love HD! So, I am after your opinions, your preferences and what BR setups you have?

- I am looking at PIONEER for a DVD writer for PC, MSY sell them cheap, anyone have any other generic brand, LG or something?

- I have a PS3 on 3.5 FW with 3D playable functionality, hopefully someone down the track comes out for the PS3 BR drives so it can play/incorporate BR content off BD-Rs and R DL's even 3D movies which would be cool, but as for now would get a BR RECODER. What do you have?

I've started off reviewing the BW750 and BW780 Panasonic DVD Recorders, though I can't understand why the earlier model is more expensive when the specs are basically identical and where tehey slightly differ, the cheaper model seems to have more features (I was checking the comparison on both on Pana's website, can someone shed light on that)

Any comments are appreciated. Also, what media is everyone using? TDK, Ritek or some other?

RoOSTA

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re Blu Ray set up

Hi there. I have a Panasonic BW 850 twin tuner blu ray recorder/burner. I have found it excellent. It pays to keep an eye out for sales as I picked this one up from Harvey Norman's here in Auckland. It was reduced from $1999 to $999. I was also cheeky enough to ask for more discount as I had got things from there before and I ended up getting it for $780, which is a good deal. Good luck.

Thanks

Yeah that one seems to do it all apart from being 3D capable, somethign I'd look for since the PS3 can do it, but wont play BD-Rs - do you know if its updatable and 3D would soon be a feature?

RoOSTA

Thanks

Default Blu Ray set up

Yes it can be updated from Panasonic ( firmware updates ). I don't know about the 3D part though as I would have thought that it would be more a hardware thing than software. I could be wrong.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BeepeeNZ View Post
    Yes it can be updated from Panasonic ( firmware updates ). I don't know about the 3D part though as I would have thought that it would be more a hardware thing than software. I could be wrong.
    No, software - think of the phat PS3s from 3 years ago, they're updated to 3.5 firmware to enable 3D playback on capable TVs. I would only assume its the same thing if there's a device with a multi combo BR drive in it...

RoOSTA

• The Following User Says Thank You to roosta For This Useful Post:

BeepeeNZ (27-11-10)

Thanks

I have a cheap $200 lg bd burner and burns 3d movies easily, It is only an iso you are burning nothing else. As long as you have the hardware to play it any bd- burner will burn 3d movie's. Although most require a 50GB disc.

I also found when dealing with 50GB disc's TDK is better than the verbatims (the cheap 1's anyway).
    Last edited by ageno2gen1; 26-11-10 at 09:06 PM.
    Stop being so stupid.. it’s my turn!!

Thanks

I'm not worried about burning 3d movies, infact i thought that'd be a given since its just an ISO like you said - I'm more concerned NOT being able to play BD-Rs that are 3D via the above Panasonic DVD recorder model i mentioned *IF* there's no 3D update for it, as i already have a 3D TV

UPDATE: After looking into further (and emailing Pana for clarification) it seems their newest releases don't have the necessary hardware inbuilt to allow 3D playback. Saw a 3D DVD and BR recorder (not BR writer tho) at JB for about $6-700 - would not waste money buying 2 units...and am VBERY surpeised no brand has brought out a model that does these things; 3D might be new technology, but its a few years old now...makers are a bit slow..

RoOSTA
    Last edited by roosta; 27-11-10 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks

I'm amazed there is still no such thing as a blu ray 3D player and BR writer/recorder device in one yet, that baffles me. This board doesn't get many hits...either that or no one wants to share their setup...

RoOSTA

Thanks

If you want to play 3d on your pc you will need power dvd 10, or tmt 3 with sim3d pluggin, aswell as a 3d capable gpu but you wont get the same res as a burned bluray unless you have nvidia 3d vision. Youre best bet is to download 3d iso burn them to disk and play them in your ps3, or simply stream side by side to your ps3 wich you wont need the burner for(i know you still want 1 for). As for the Bluray recorder, no there wont be a firmware update to play 3d simply because they want you to buy a new player.

Thanks

Since when do PS3s play BD-Rs with a 3D ISO on them? I thought you needed original discs...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roosta View Post
    Since when do PS3s play BD-Rs with a 3D ISO on them? I thought you needed original discs...
    I dont own 1 so thats something ive never had to deal with, all i know is that when avatar came out they had an encryption on it that only a ps3 or panasonic 3d bd player would play. All the people on another forum use ps3's as there 3d bd player and we are all playing from a burnt iso. I can test it on a friend ps3 if you like?

Thanks

yeah that would be awesome, i had no idea BD-Rs (3d or not) could even be played on a PS3...if so thats really cool, can yuo test other backed-up BR movies on it too?

RoOSTA

Thanks

I gave a backup of Samsung triple feature to a mate from work and just waiting for a txt from him. as for normal blu ray backups i dont have any, lol maybe i should start. But im sure if a backup 3d worked a normal 1 will. Should know tonight.

Thanks

Confirmed working on early model fat ps3 with up to date firmware. BD-r 50 gb.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ageno2gen1 For This Useful Post:

roosta (30-11-10)

Thanks

You're a legend, +rep for you. I had no idea of the ability of playing backed up DVDs on the PS3 - that being because I never had the burners or the media to test, but now its more than enough to jstify purchasing the Pana model listed above and the Pioneer burner...

RoOSTA

Thanks

Bought BW780 today for $785 from Clive Peeters.

They have an online special for $799, talked them further down til I matched their cost price as per their database (he showed me), so I don't think i could've got better than that unless i waited 8-12 months for the next model to come out while this goes on clearance...

Thanks

Bought a bluray burner off of ebay what media are everyone using? are the quality of discs as hit and miss as it was when dvd burners first came out. Not sure whether I want to bother burning discs yet might just start off ripping movies and playing them back on my wdtv live.

Thanks

Check the media board, i put up a detailed post about some research i had done over several days from reviews around the world (that were in english!)

1 of 10 of my BRDL discs (sony) burned, but there's a 5 second skip, i'd say its an error in burning but not 100% certain as yet, will check on more media.

RoOSTA