Thread: Internet over other phone line

Thanks

Default Internet over other phone line

Hi all,

The other day, my brother came over to my house with his router, plugged it in to my phone socket, and used HIS internet connection.

My question is....

How does this work? And if so, is it possible for me to link up to my parents internet service, with thier router from a phone line point in another state? The phone line has a dialtone, however calls cannont be made out of it?

Any suggestions/answers

Look Here ->
    Thanks

If he's got a dial up account it'll work, you are connecting to the ISP phone no, if you're out of the isp providers local area you may get charged timed call rates.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
    Hi all,

The other day, my brother came over to my house with his router, plugged it in to my phone socket, and used HIS internet connection.

My question is....

How does this work? And if so, is it possible for me to link up to my parents internet service, with thier router from a phone line point in another state? The phone line has a dialtone, however calls cannont be made out of it?

Any suggestions/answers

Router? Broadband? I'm guessing you and your brother are with the same ISP?

You can take your router (or login details) and use them at any residency which has an internet (adsl) plan with your provider....some companies allow for simultaneous logins i.e. your parents router and your own - but will charge you for each hour this occurs --> $$$$$$

Cheers.
    Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch.

Thanks

In case anyone was wondering, i had a chat to a mate who works at iinet, and found out the following:

The existing phoneline must be connected to the iinet exchange already, although if i was doing this through a compnay that shared their exchanges it would also work.

And it is no extra cost for iinet customers.

Just updating people on what i found out.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

This seems to be like Dialup with either an 019 or 1300 local call only charge facility to call the ISP but I can assure you ADSL of any sort wont work here because my local exchange has not been equipped to handle any broadband and this I would guess apply to any area that comes under the Govt Broadband Satelitte service.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!