Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: setting up Satellite C and Ku band

Thanks

Default setting up Satellite C and Ku band

Hi,
    I just bought used set of receiver with 2 dishes (2.3m and small one). The receiver is Strong 4260x using Dual Pol LNBF for the small dish. I am trying to get the signal of any satellite (bird) but so far no luck at all. I have used rf10700, 11300 and same rf as written on lnbf (12250-12750). I did change the lnb to Universal LNB and I set LNB type as universal but still not working. I changed the receiver to Daewoo DSD 9521M and did the same thing as above but come out with the same result, the bar for level is good 90% but the quality bar never goes up even when I tried both dishes.
    my understanding the lnb skew does not stop us from getting the signal, its might just effect the quality. the connection between receiver and LNB is good as when I disconnect the cable the level signal goes down.
    I have used dishpointer.com setting and direction to find the satellite direction. the satellite I tried to get are Optus D1, C1, Asiasat 3s and Apstar 6.
    I have tried all things in my head and from what I have read in other posts in this website, but no luck so far.
    As I am moving to other house in the next month or two I would not like to call a professional to fix it.
    Any idea what is missing? or things I have not tried?
    thanks in advance.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink Basic Dish Installation.

Quote Originally Posted by weley View Post
    Hi,
    I just bought used set of receiver with 2 dishes (2.3m and small one). The receiver is Strong 4260x using Dual Pol LNBF for the small dish. I am trying to get the signal of any satellite (bird) but so far no luck at all. I have used rf10700, 11300 and same rf as written on lnbf (12250-12750). I did change the lnb to Universal LNB and I set LNB type as universal but still not working. I changed the receiver to Daewoo DSD 9521M and did the same thing as above but come out with the same result, the bar for level is good 90% but the quality bar never goes up even when I tried both dishes.
    my understanding the lnb skew does not stop us from getting the signal, its might just effect the quality. the connection between receiver and LNB is good as when I disconnect the cable the level signal goes down.
    I have used dishpointer.com setting and direction to find the satellite direction. the satellite I tried to get are Optus D1, C1, Asiasat 3s and Apstar 6.
    I have tried all things in my head and from what I have read in other posts in this website, but no luck so far.
    As I am moving to other house in the next month or two I would not like to call a professional to fix it.
    Any idea what is missing? or things I have not tried?
    thanks in advance.

G'Day Cobber,
    Let's take one thing at a time.
    Unless the dish is motorised, you can only normally get one Satellite at a time.
    If this is written on the LNB
    (12250-12750), it would suggest that it is an 11300 Local Oscillator LNB, so that is what you need to use in your dish setup. It should also have 11300 written on it.
    The easiest Satellite to find is C1, D3 is also co-located at the same position, but you need an 10700 LNB to get them both.

DishPointer will give you Azimuth(relative to True North) from your location.
    It will give you a ground line of sight to the Satellite. Stick with C1 'til you get the hang of things.
    It makes things easier to adjust if your mast is plumb, vertical in all directions.
    You also need to have the correct Elevation, this is set on the Mast Bracket, with Latitude on one side or Elevation on the other. Use Either.
    Once you have that set up, as well as the correct details in the STB installation menu, on an active Transponder, you can slowly move your dish Up/Down and L/R until you get a Lock in the Green. Then you can tweek all settings for maximum signal Quality. ie: azimuth, elevation and Skew( The twist of the LNB in the Bracket).

See how you go there and let us know.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Last edited by beer4life; 27-11-10 at 10:32 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to beer4life For This Useful Post:

MalleyFowl (22-04-11)

Thanks

Thank you beer4life,
    you are suggesting to use the smaller dish with dual pol LNB, I will try it, how about it the big dish with C band? can it be used for C1?
    regards

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Thank you beer4life,
    you are suggesting to use the smaller dish with dual pol LNB, I will try it, how about it the big dish with C band? can it be used for C1?
    regards
    You can use the C-Band dish for Ku but you want to use it for both C and Ku signals so you'll need a combined C/Ku lnb. The problem is the Optus sats have a different LNB skew angle to all other sats so if you peak it for the Optus sats you'll have problems getting all the others. I'd suggest using your small KU dish for Optus sats and the C Band dish for everything else. You can then connect them together using a diseqc switch to your receiver but we'll save that for another lesson!

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Thread moved from Test Forum to Newbie Satellite.
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Thanks

Good Morning Weley, I also live in Adelaide,Modbury North.I have six satellite dishes going in my backyard--3 metre --2.3 metre ( c band and motorised ).Also four ku band dishes,one has four lnb's on it( c1/d3--d2--d1 and intelsat 8 ).One for intelsat 701(1.2 metre) and another one for nss6 (small dish). A 65 cm dish for c1/d3 separate from the others. I use two strong receiver boxes and two DiSEqC switches to combine all together.Where do you live in Adelaide because i do not mind helping you out as i have for many people. I do not charge because i see it as a hobby, and your willing to learn. Please contact me and we will go from there. frachwal.
    Last edited by frachwal; 28-11-10 at 09:39 AM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to frachwal For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (28-11-10),michael_sa (28-11-10),OSIRUS (28-11-10),tristen (28-11-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frachwal View Post
    Good Morning Weley, I also live in Adelaide,Modbury North.I have six satellite dishes going in my backyard--3 metre --2.3 metre ( c band and motorised ).Also four ku band dishes,one has four lnb's on it( c1/d3--d2--d1 and intelsat 8 ).One for intelsat 701(1.2 metre) and another one for nss6 (small dish). A 65 cm dish for c1/d3 separate from the others. I use two strong receiver boxes and two DiSEqC switches to combine all together.Where do you live in Adelaide because i do not mind helping you out as i have for many people. I do not charge because i see it as a hobby, and your willing to learn. Please contact me and we will go from there. frachwal.
    Thank you frachwal, actually I am living in the south of adelaide (morphett vale), I will try to fix it myself but I will need your help when I want to motorized my c band dish. It has the motor and ready to use, it just I am want get one bird first so hope this will motivate me do more.

Thanks

no worries.
    Last edited by frachwal; 28-11-10 at 10:35 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

I suggest, setup the Small Dish First, for Ku band,

Maybe on optus C1/D3 (you will need a 10700 Lo LNB)

or Optus D1 you will only need a 11300 Lo LNB

You may find it easier to pickup a Satellite finder on ebay (usually less than $20) to help you find the Sats

Good Luck
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    You can use the C-Band dish for Ku but you want to use it for both C and Ku signals so you'll need a combined C/Ku lnb. The problem is the Optus sats have a different LNB skew angle to all other sats so if you peak it for the Optus sats you'll have problems getting all the others. I'd suggest using your small KU dish for Optus sats and the C Band dish for everything else. You can then connect them together using a diseqc switch to your receiver but we'll save that for another lesson!

Leroy
    Thank you Leroy, will come back when need to know about the diseqc

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    I suggest, setup the Small Dish First, for Ku band,

Maybe on optus C1/D3 (you will need a 10700 Lo LNB)

or Optus D1 you will only need a 11300 Lo LNB

You may find it easier to pickup a Satellite finder on ebay (usually less than $20) to help you find the Sats

Good Luck
    Thanks, I will try the 10700 Lo LNB which is mean the Universal LNB, right?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks, I will try the 10700 Lo LNB which is mean the Universal LNB, right?
    No a 10700 LNB is not a Universal LNB,

How do you know you have a Ku Universal LNB ?

The Universal will work but require different settings

Thanks

Uploaded with

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    No a 10700 LNB is not a Universal LNB,

How do you know you have a Ku Universal LNB ?

The Universal will work but require different settings
    Hi mate, I do have 2 LNBs the one come with the dish is dual pol. however I do have extra one which written on it Universal LNB Freg 10.7-12.75GhZ Lo: 9.75/10.60Ghz (TELE System brand.
    Last edited by weley; 28-11-10 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks

Wink

Hi mate, I do have 2 LNBs the one come with the dish is dual pol. however I do have extra one which written on it Universal LNB Freg 10.7-12.75GhZ Lo: 9.75/10.60Ghz (TELE System brand.
    G'Day Cobber,
    You could use that Universal, but need to have this in your Dish Installation menu.
    LNB: Universal

Try that.

Last edited by beer4life; 28-11-10 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Typo.

• The Following User Says Thank You to beer4life For This Useful Post:

MalleyFowl (22-04-11)

Thanks

Just wanted to add - being that I'm a satellite virgin, this is all very interesting reading. So thanks to those that are contributing as it's helping inform me and prob a bunch of other sat newbies also

Michael

• The Following User Says Thank You to michael_sa For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (28-11-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    G'Day Cobber,
    You could use that Universal, but need to have this in your Dish Installation menu.
    LNB: Universal

Try that.

Might want to make that LO 09750

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weirdo For This Useful Post:

beer4life (28-11-10),MalleyFowl (22-04-11),OSIRUS (29-11-10)

Thanks

Hi friends,
    regarding the elecation angle for optus C1 should be 45 as per dishpointer website.
    I see on both side of the dish mounting got scales AND in both of them the 0 degree does not match with the pipe that I am fixing the dish on. if I darw a line from the 0 that show on the dish mounting its not parallel to the pipe. so when I put my dish on 45 degree as per the scale on the mouthing is it correct 45? or I am away for it?
    2nd Q: the part I connect the LNB to is lose, I did soldering back. however, can I use the LOOP as alternative to LNB in?
    Thanks

Premium Member
    Thanks

Hi friends,
    regarding the elecation angle for optus C1 should be 45 as per dishpointer website.
    I see on both side of the dish mounting got scales AND in both of them the 0 degree does not match with the pipe that I am fixing the dish on. if I darw a line from the 0 that show on the dish mounting its not parallel to the pipe. so when I put my dish on 45 degree as per the scale on the mouthing is it correct 45? or I am away for it?
    2nd Q: the part I connect the LNB to is lose, I did soldering back. however, can I use the LOOP as alternative to LNB in?
    Thanks
    You can only get the Dish angles as good as you can, (& you may or may not get pictures straight away)

LNB skew is about 7.30pm, looking at the cable out, looking into the dish, for Optus C1/D3

Connect the LNB to the Sat finder (if you have one) then to the STB, then cables to the TV

It is best, if you can have the TV close to the dish, so, as you slowly move the dish from east to west, & up & down you can watch the Quality bars from the STB on your TV

Quality bars, & the Level Bars, turn green on a Strong STB when you are on a working transponder on a Satellite

Setup your LNB settings, i.e. in the Strong, maybe like this:

Satellite: Optus C1/D3
    LNB Power: ON
    LNB Type: Universal
    LNB Freq: 9750/10600
    22KHz: Auto
    DiSEqC Switch: OFF

Then Set Your STB (in Manual scan) to a known Working Frequency on Optus C1 e.g the INFO 156 channel is:

Satelite: Optus C1/D3
    Frequency: 12407 GHz
    Symbol Rate: 30000 MS/s
    Polarization: Vertical
    Search type: All Channel
    Network Search: ON

You should not have to move the dish much if your angles are close,

When you get green bars, fine tune everything to maximum Signal & Quality,

Tighten up your dish

Then hit OK to do a manual scan on that transponder (at the end should get a few channels)

Then do a blind scan from the Strong Installation Menu

or input all the frequencies from lyngsat.cam

P.S. That spinning LNB input, on your STB does not sound good, but I do have a space STB that does the same thing, & it will work ok though the loop connector, someone here might say if it is safe to use or not....
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 29-11-10 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks

Wink Elevation and Offset Dishes.

Hi friends,
    Thanks

G'Day Cobber,
    The reason for your confusion over Dish Elevation is because the LNB is offset from the centre line of the dish.
    The offset varies on different dishes, but is around 27 Degrees.
    Do what I said earlier and set your Elevation or Latitude according to the markings on the Dish Bracket.
    This illustration should help clarify the seeming anomaly that you have noticed.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beer4life For This Useful Post:

MalleyFowl (22-04-11),weley (06-03-11)

• Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast