Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: VAST PVR box

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Its been 3 months since anything has been posted and we still have just under 4 months of 2011 to go so I guess its still too early to hope for the PVR update to be implemented.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

My understanding is UEC's PVR upgrade for their current box has been ready for some time but the VAST operators want the PVR recorded data to be encrypted so that it can only played back on the host PVR box. Apparently the current box runs out of gas when you throw in the additional encryption requirements.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FPQ6 View Post
    My understanding is UEC's PVR upgrade for their current box has been ready for some time but the VAST operators want the PVR recorded data to be encrypted so that it can only played back on the host PVR box. Apparently the current box runs out of gas when you throw in the additional encryption requirements.
    My understanding is the recording method used by the UEC VAST box is locked to replay via the box only.

The format of the drive is also not a standard FAT/NTFS.

The drive is not recognised when connected to a PC.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    My understanding is the recording method used by the UEC VAST box is locked to replay via the box only.

The format of the drive is also not a standard FAT/NTFS.

The drive is not recognised when connected to a PC.
    Yep, that's right. They're unencrypted on the drive, but yes, the videos are almost impossible to view on a PC without using some fancy software to watch them, because the drive isn't recognisable on a typical Windows PC. I'm sure there will be a workaround.

FPQ6, I find it hard to believe the new PVR firmware has been ready to go all this time and that it's public release relies solely on the implementation of encrypted recordings. There are a bunch of other bugs and flaws on the latest beta release which are far more important.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Premium Member

Thanks

If their going to play silly buggers with blocking the playback via the USB then I wont bother changing from the setup now via the AV leads.
    The bit I have recorded so far looks perfectly ok to me.

I just cant believe that UEC are so far behind releasing this PVR recording due to 'Technical' glitches as they have been involved in the manufacture of STB's for many years so either there is very little R&D going into adapting VAST to comply with the requirements or they are biding their time untill we get closer to the implementation of the Digital changeover.
    Remember this is or should be a big company who if it suits their 'Bottom Line' can wait as VAST even as it is, has a life of many years ahead of it.
    From all accounts, UEC have the market pretty much to themselves as far as competitors go so why not just take it steady instead of roaring off madly and perhaps hitting unseen snags in future markets?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 14-08-11 at 12:46 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, Gordon.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Thanks

Hiya ,
    I’m a newbie from North East Victoria so please be patient whilst I try and explain my situation and then ask a question.(Just speed read through the irrelevant bits,lol)
    I live in a town called Eskdale,in the Mitta Valley of North East Victoria,about 60km’s South East of Albury/Wodonga,I’ve lived here for 8 years and up till May 2011 I have had no access to free to air television,my house is on a hill but in a reception black spot and despite buying the best antenna I could afford I still was unable to receive anything other than a very patchy signal from ABC and nothing else,so since 2004 I have been paying exhorbitant amounts to Austar for a satellite service,that at least allowed me to access news and current affairs but the other programming has always been pretty poor in my opinion but I’ve got used to it over the years,then earlier this year I received a letter in the mail advising me that as it appeared that I had no access to terrestrial FTA television that I would be eligible to receive the new freeview channels on a satellite service if I paid $200,bewdy I thought,I will finally be able to watch my beloved v8 supercars so I filled in the online form and a few days later received a call from an installation company to make an appointment for the installer to come and install yet another dish on my roof.
    A week later and the tech guy arrived and installed the dish and the decoder box,took about an hour,i gave him my credit card for the installation fee and the service was activated.I started watching the service that night and was fairly impressed except for the almost continual interruptions to programs with ad’s for Alice Springs restaurants and slideshow images of Australian towns accompanied by mind numbingly boring background music,but hey I get to watch at least some decent programs.
    However one question I have is what to do about recording programs to watch later,I have analog tv with two component RCA outlets with the red,yellow and white connections,both of which are used ,one for the Austar box and one for the VAST box,my question is if I go out and buy a you beaut LCD or LED tv with a PVR function installed will I be able to record programs from the VAST box? I note that the Altech box has a USB port but the brochure that came with the dish says that the function is not yet enabled.
    I do have an Austar ‘Mystar’box and I use that a bit but if I could record some of the FTA programs off VAST then I might be tempted to return the Mystar box.
    So do I buy a new TV (Saw one advertised yesterday with 26’ screen,PVR function,HDMI,HD tuner etc for $330)or wait till VAST enable the USB port and even then would I be able to plug my 500GB Buffalo external HDD in?
    Many thanks for reading.
    Cheers
    N'oz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nigelinoz View Post
    So do I buy a new TV (Saw one advertised yesterday with 26’ screen,PVR function,HDMI,HD tuner etc for $330)or wait till VAST enable the USB port and even then would I be able to plug my 500GB Buffalo external HDD in?
    Many thanks for reading.
    Cheers
    N'oz
    I use a Panasonic DMR XW380 - (There are several different models available) All have several inputs (AV, Composite S video) and several outputs (AV, Composite, Svideo and HDMI) all have a built in a hard drive to record programmes plus a DVD player/burner.

For satellite recording you have to use manual record. (Terrestrial FTA can be pre-programmed.) I bought mine on eBay - cheaper than retail shops. There can be a problem using the output from the Mystar (I had to buy a DIMAX encryption stripper for the Mystar) but the UEC VAST box works fine.

• The Following User Says Thank You to earlsdon For This Useful Post:

Nigelinoz (16-08-11)

Administrator
    Thanks

TV's with built-in PVR usually only have the ability to record from the built-in tuner, not from an external device.

The UEC VAST box will have the ability to connect an external USB drive, which will retain the original digital quality of the received program.

Using the composite (red/white/yellow) video output for recording gives you the lowest-quality output of the box.

If you are using a CRT TV with only those connections (eg: no component or HDMI) then you'll still need to connect the box via that method though.... which indidently still looks very good IMO.

The UEC VAST box PVR function is still being trialled... unfortunately no release date yet, but it looks pretty stable ATM, so hopefully, it won't be too far away before it's available.

All that changes for PVR use is a new remote control (better than the original remote) and a firmware upgrade, which will most-likely happen automatically over the air, plus an external USB drive.

It's been a long wait for the PVR function to be released, so hopefully testing is nearing completion.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Nigelinoz (16-08-11)

Thanks

Thanks mtv
    I had not thought that a new TV with PVR may not record from an external device so in my case with no signals going into the set apart from what comes in from the two STB's there would be nothing for the PVR to record,I could of course get an LCD or LED set without a PVR function,(probably cheaper) but it does seem that at the moment I should just wait till the PVR function is enabled on the VAST box.
    Thanks again for the info.
    Cheers
    N'oz

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Thanks mtv
    I had not thought that a new TV with PVR may not record from an external device so in my case with no signals going into the set apart from what comes in from the two STB's there would be nothing for the PVR to record,I could of course get an LCD or LED set without a PVR function,(probably cheaper) but it does seem that at the moment I should just wait till the PVR function is enabled on the VAST box.
    Thanks again for the info.
    Cheers
    N'oz
    On a side note. You would of qualified for Aurora! Also you could of had a dish pointed at the Optus D1 satellite and received all the SBS, SBS2 and ABC's, ABC2 etc from all time zones of Oz using a regular satellite receiver. Some of the V8 supercar feeds come in on this sat but most are on Optus D2 so a dish pointing there would give you the feeds. Most of the time people post them in the Feeds/FTA section.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

Nigelinoz (16-08-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    On a side note. You would of qualified for Aurora! Also you could of had a dish pointed at the Optus D1 satellite and received all the SBS, SBS2 and ABC's, ABC2 etc from all time zones of Oz using a regular satellite receiver. Some of the V8 supercar feeds come in on this sat but most are on Optus D2 so a dish pointing there would give you the feeds. Most of the time people post them in the Feeds/FTA section.

Leroy
    Thanks for the information Leroy,
    To tell you the truth until I started reading this forum last week I had no idea Aurora even existed!there was zilch information about it in this area,I have asked 10 people in the town if they had heard of it and none of them had,and out of the 10 only 3 knew about VAST despite the fact that most of them are pensioners and would have received something about it from Centrelink (Least you would think they would have) the Mitta Valley must be an absolute goldmine for Austar,just about every house in this area has an Austar dish and now a lot of them are getting VAST as well.
    Thanks again for your post.
    Cheers
    N'oz

Premium Member

Thanks

This where those who have no other option but VAST are paying for a TV with features they cannot use like a HD tuner etc whereas something like a monitor, except they dont come in 50 inch would suffice.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Nigelinoz (16-08-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    This where those who have no other option but VAST are paying for a TV with features they cannot use like a HD tuner etc whereas something like a monitor, except they dont come in 50 inch would suffice.
    Absolutely Gordon,
    I have a 22' monitor connected to my desktop computer and being a fan of many sports I enjoy watching the unmetered content on Bigpond sport,I particularly like the V8's but unfortunately I'm in an area where the Telstra has not upgraded the exchange to ADSL2 so I'm not able to get the best quality feed but your point about TV's with features that can't be used is well made.

Cheers
    N'oz

Administrator
    Thanks

Actually, they do..... both plasma and LED, but they are professional monitors and cost many thousands more than TV's with integrated terrestrial tuners.

Nigelinoz (16-08-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

I had only seen monitors up to 21 or 24 inch with HDMI inputs for around $180 ? at a recent computer fair.

Nigelinoz (16-08-11)

Administrator
    Thanks

I had only seen monitors up to 21 or 24 inch with HDMI inputs for around $180 ? at a recent computer fair.
    Here's just one example of professional monitors/displays.... no tuner, but very expensive..... and this is starting to go off topic a bit, but just to show they do exist.

Nigelinoz (17-08-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Here's just one example of professional monitors/displays.... no tuner, but very expensive..... and this is starting to go off topic a bit, but just to show they do exist.

No doubt they are the 'Bee's Knees' in 'monitors' but if they cost many $000's as MTV says, then you wouldnt worry about paying around $1100 for a 3D capable 50 inch standard LED with a built in HD tuner usable or not, to use on VAST.

Nigelinoz (17-08-11)

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies to my first post,I very much appreciate the advice ,this is a great forum and I hope in the future that I can contribute as much valuable information as has been offered to me on this thread.
    As an aside the only thing that slightly annoys me about this whole setup is that it appears I need to have TWO STB's and TWO dishes on the roof to get half decent tv,still I can always get rid of the Austar box,that would solve the issue.
    Thanks again guys.
    Cheers
    N'oz

Administrator
    Thanks

Thanks for all the replies to my first post,I very much appreciate the advice ,this is a great forum and I hope in the future that I can contribute as much valuable information as has been offered to me on this thread.
    As an aside the only thing that slightly annoys me about this whole setup is that it appears I need to have TWO STB's and TWO dishes on the roof to get half decent tv,still I can always get rid of the Austar box,that would solve the issue.
    Thanks again guys.
    Cheers
    N'oz
    A single dish with a dual LNB and a multiswitch will provide signal to both the Austar and VAST boxes simultaneously.

Nigelinoz (17-08-11)

• Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast