Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TPG rip off

Thanks

Default TPG rip off

Dont be sucked in to the unlimited not a hope. My experience. No phone support at all. Too busy to worry about the customer. Will not ever at all again. Support is flat out

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

I'm not on unlimited but I am with TPG.
    Have been for about 5 years now and whenever I've had a problem they've always been contactable and willing to help out. Yes you do often get to speak to a person with a certain dialect but phone support does exist.

Thanks

not a problem here. been with TPG for ~5yrs.

Thanks

I've been with TPG for about 15 months. Haven't needed support but when I switched over everything happened to schedule. They've been more reliable than Big Puddle, far cheaper and you can actually talk to a person rather than a computer.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

SWitched over from oparse, (i know they use optarse towers) have had better reception and no over use fees since. Go figure?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

Same here .. TPG for 10+ years and haven't had any major issues. What sort of problem have you had?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 707 Posts

Cheapest ADSL2 available just about anywhere. What's the 'rip-off' you allude to in the thread title?

Thanks

I have made many attempts to call tech help and have been put on hold up to 20 minutes then cut off. Call again and receive the message We are too busy now. Goodbye. I get an unbearable amount of dropouts like unable to use the internet at all. Mostly between 5 and 10 pm. I have tried a different modem. Nothing else plugged in to phone line. Whirlpool forums is full of similar complaints. I am aware it is a great deal( unlimited with phone bundle) but only if u can use it. And if u cant, being able to get thru to the tech support would be good. Your call is important to us for 20 minutes then cut off doesn't impress. Probably depends where u live. I will try again to call soon and update if the problem gets fixed. Seems to be a lot of people with this same problem on whirlpool. I am just thinking they have too many customers with this new deal and can't support it. I am no expert. Enough ranting for now.
    Faulty
    Last edited by faulty_b; 08-12-10 at 09:36 PM.

Thanks

YPG speeds and service (customer wise) is truly despicable. Even appalling could describe it.

I've had speed issues (8-9MBps is my fastest possible connection) which i should be getting 14 (ish) around 1.5km away (line of sight) from my local exchange. Sure, they've "exhausted" all options to help me but my problem isn't solved. Have unfortunately had to go to the ombudsman 2 times - but at least it was worthwhile. I am signed up to a service paying for ADSL2+ naked speeds and not/never receiving them - got 4 months refund out of 12 so far.

Great plans no doubt- but they can't match customer sarvice or reliable speeds like other companies.

RoOSTA

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roosta View Post
    YPG speeds and service (customer wise) is truly despicable. Even appalling could describe it.

I've had speed issues (8-9MBps is my fastest possible connection) which i should be getting 14 (ish) around 1.5km away (line of sight) from my local exchange.

RoOSTA
    What's your line attenuation?
    Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch.

Thanks

I've had speed issues (8-9MBps is my fastest possible connection) which i should be getting 14 (ish) around 1.5km away (line of sight) from my local exchange. Sure, they've "exhausted" all options to help me but my problem isn't solved. Have unfortunately had to go to the ombudsman 2 times - but at least it was worthwhile. I am signed up to a service paying for ADSL2+ naked speeds and not/never receiving them - got 4 months refund out of 12 so far.

Great plans no doubt- but they can't match customer sarvice or reliable speeds like other companies.

RoOSTA
    Fark I'd be happy with those speeds.
    So why don't you sign up with someone else?

Thanks

I've been with TPG for approx 2.5 years. Found them far more reliable than my previous supplier (and they had no phone support). I've only had to call their support twice - every other time it's been fine.

As for the speeds, it also depends on the route the cable takes. Someone might be 1.5km away but the cable might be going a slightly longer route. I think there was a website they you could go to check the cable distances and projected speeds. Can't remember now but a google check should help.

BS

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I have found you get what you pay for. If you want a quality service, avoid "all you can eat" ISP's.

Thanks

TPG use Huawahii branded equipment , just cheapo chinese rubbish. the conductor size on the wiring in the cabinet is .31mm sq. absolute thin crap. so even if you are close to the exchange you still have high attenuation and bad crosstalk. maybe not noticeable as a phone call but not good for carrying BB.

Telstra copper conductor sizes are much larger.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tradesman For This Useful Post:

roosta (09-12-10)

Thanks

I dunno, have all the family on TPG, 6 installs.
    Only issues have allways been Telstra cabling.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    Fark I'd be happy with those speeds.
    So why don't you sign up with someone else?
    lol, really? If maximum capacity is up to (or close to) 24mbps and you're getting essentially, on average, ADSL1 speeds of 8mbps you would be happy with that!?

The only way i can max this out is downloading via 30-50 connections for usenet. Any other general downloading, even TEST ISO files from TPGs website itself gets 6-7mbps on avg, not good enough in my books, if my line "eligibility" can give me like 13-14mbps...

Tech tried a lot in terms of testing after initially finding too much water on the line, had no idea what it meant or how draining that out would fix a SPEED problem...but yeah...another story..

RoOSTA

Thanks

I bought a car that says I can achieve 8.2L/100km too, but I'm yet to see it. Far too many people get all fired up about not being able to achieve what they perceive ADSL2+ speeds should be. Theoretical maximum speeds are just that, and by no means an indication you're going to achieve those yourself. In fact, ISPs have such information plastered all through their terms & conditions. For a reality check, hows about searching around for what most people actually achieve in the real world.

You say you're 1.5km from the exchange, but what's the copper length and are you on copper all the way from the exchange? What's the quality of the copper in between? How many junctions are there? etc etc etc...

Have a look at , at the very least it may put your situation into perspective.

Thanks

Tech tried a lot in terms of testing after initially finding too much water on the line, had no idea what it meant or how draining that out would fix a SPEED problem...but yeah...another story..

RoOSTA
    So what's your attenuation shown in your modem?
    If you have a line problem that would be Telstra issue not TPG.

Thanks

lol, really? If maximum capacity is up to (or close to) 24mbps and you're getting essentially, on average, ADSL1 speeds of 8mbps you would be happy with that!?
    Well they never said you would get 24 Mb/s....but i agree, it's pretty shitty downloading at 6Mb/s. What's your attenuation, and what speed are you syncing at?
    If your line runs through an open pit, during bad weather these fill with water and you get considerable interference....as stated, this is a telstra issue - hint if you want to lodge a complaint about this, don't do it for your ADSL speeds, but say you have crackling noise and low volume on your phone calls. So long as you're getting ADSL1 speeds, telstra won't look into it.

After the recent storms in the mid north of SA, my speeds have gone to shite, and i'm getting knocked off when the phone rings. And now no one will be home when the telstra tech is coming Nothing's ever easy is it?
    Last edited by RHCP; 09-12-10 at 07:34 PM.
    Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch.

Thanks

The only way i can max this out is downloading via 30-50 connections for usenet. Any other general downloading, even TEST ISO files from TPGs website itself gets 6-7mbps on avg, not good enough in my books, if my line "eligibility" can give me like 13-14mbps...

RoOSTA
    Like I said, I would be happy with that simply because all I have is a 1.5 MBps connection and I'd be lucky to get those speeds. Unfortunately my line is on a rim and can't get adsl2
    I've had a Telstra tech out 3 times over the last 4 months to fix a faulty phone line. We experienced modem dropouts and a very static phone line.
    Every time they 'fixed' it, it seemed ok for a few days only for the problem to reappear again. The last tech informed me the problem was on my property.
    We live on a battle axe block and consequently have a 100 meter driveway.
    So I started digging up the phoneline near the house last weekend as I remembered when we built the place 15 years ago, a bobcat damaged the phoneline then.
    Found the conduit, cut it open and got sprayed in the face with water. There would have been at least 20 litres of water in the conduit.
    Water on its own wasn't the problem of course, I also found the old patch but it broke under concrete slab at the back of the house. The conduit was blocked with silicone so I made a long drill bit out of a 3 meter long bit of half inch reo to clear the conduit. I think I cleared it that well that it might have come out of the side of the conduit somewhere.
    So now I have a temp cable laying on top of the slab and this weekend some weirdo's gonna try and make a new run into the house.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast