Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: VAST and third party recievers

Thanks

Default Elgato DVB-S2 with CI - is it likely to work?

Hi, Newbie to VAST and looking at making my most flexible solution. I am in a blackspot area out of Sydney and have approval for VAST access. Have a number of TVs in the house and want to avoid having a STB per TV for the occasions when I will need to use VAST. So wanted to use a computer based system so I can pipe one channel of VAST to any TV over my internal network. I have a Mac OS X based house (sorry to offend anyone!), so need something to work with Macs.
    I have a DVB-T system using Elgato that works fine, so I thought I would try the Elgato DVB-S2 with CI and buy a CAM and Card for VAST. Price overall is equivalent to STBs - and Elgato will give me all the pause/ FF/ RW I will need.

Can anyone see any problem with this arrangement - given earlier comments about buy CAM&Vast Card and use in any receiver. Anything else I need to consider?

TIA for help/ comments.
    Last edited by bm282; 24-03-15 at 02:57 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bm282 For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (24-05-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Providing your system will run the CAM/card, it should work.

However, as you say, cost is equivalent to individual VAST boxes, the latter will give you independent channel and recording/playback, compared to a single CAM/card, which will only give you a single channel available to all TV's.

Thanks

Thanks MTV. Hopefully it will work as expected. I understand the limitation of a single channel. Our reception is 90% ok via DVB-T, but depending on weather and other factors, we can lose specific channels - often 7 and 10 - and for extended periods. And of course this is ALWAYS when you are watching something of interest - a rare thing on commercial channels!! So this is really my backup for those times - log in and record the show on the Elgato and do something else useful in the meantime. But I do miss the analog days where you could suffer thru a bit of snow when it happened - ;-/

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Something else to keep in mind: if the CAM isn't in use, it takes a while for it to fire back up, sometimes 5 minutes or more. This can have a huge effect on recording. If you can find a way for the card to stay tuned to an encrypted channel when it isn't in use, then you'll be good as gold, but there aren't too many boxes/software/drivers that can allow you to do this. I found this to be the number 1 issue when I was using 2 CAMs in a MediaPortal box. More often than not, my recordings would start with a black screen. In theory, buffering your recordings to start 5-10 mins earlier than the scheduled time should fix it, but for some reason recordings turned out corrupted.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (27-03-15),sdrambo (02-04-15),Tiny (27-03-15),tristen (27-03-15)

Thanks

Default 7 Mate on Vast

Hello all.

I have a Humax vast receiver. I can get all the channels except 7MATE. Any idea why that could be?

Thanks for your reply.

fiddler

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    Hello all.

I have a Humax vast receiver. I can get all the channels except 7MATE. Any idea why that could be?

Thanks for your reply.

fiddler
    What Vast Area (Bouquet) are you in ?

7mate working here in NSW for me .....
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    What Vast Area (Bouquet) are you in ?

7mate working here in NSW for me .....

Central Queensland.

fiddler

Thanks

Ok here on Queensland Bouquet Channel 070 - 7Mate Central
    Does your Channel 072 come up 7TWO Central - North ? as mine does or just North

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    Central Queensland.

fiddler
    if other people report receiving 7mate OK on the Queensland Bouquet ..... then the broadcast must be OK

may be something at your end ...? (STB ...... Cabling ....Dish Alignment etc...)

have you tried resetting the STB ? or turning it off at the power point & wait about a minute then turn it back on ?

failing that it may be a dish or cable problem ......(check signal Strength & signal Quality readings) (also are any other Satellite STB''s using the same dish in your house) ..... but I would be expecting more than one channel to be missing ...?

failing that you could ring vast and check all channels are activated for your area and get them to send your card a hit
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 05-05-15 at 01:41 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

One other thing to check is the 'Parental Lock' hasnt accidentally been applied as I thought VAST was basically the same as Digital Terrestrial where you cant loose part (like 7Mate) without losing the lot on the 7 mux.
    Failing that start at the beginning and follow Osirus' suggestions but before ringing VAST if you get that far with out any results, make sure you have the SMART card number written down if you havent already.
    You could write it down while you have the decoder turned off in Step 1, just dont forget to put it back in correctly before turning the Power back on will you??
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

OK so go to VAST & rehit the box.

If no joy; Call VAST explain the issue & ask them if there is a problem with your card or card activation & they will probability reset it.

VAST Call Centre only provides support for decoder registration and activation.
    Please consult your decoder supplier, installer or manufacturer for any technical issues.
    Call Centre Ph: 1300 993 376

Or fill in the inquiry form below & see if it is known issue.
    Last edited by Tiny; 05-05-15 at 06:22 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member
    Thanks

7mate Central sits on 12647V, the highest VAST frequency. It's not bundled with the other Southern Cross channels. If Westlink and the 800/802 Info channels are also showing no signal, you have a problem with your dish alignment, LNB or cabling.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

kingfisherau (07-05-15),LeroyPatrol (07-05-15),OSIRUS (07-05-15),Tiny (07-05-15),tristen (07-05-15)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Good Point .....

7mate central @ 12647 V also shares this frequency with these channels:

ABC News 24 (SE ?)
    ABC1 NSW,
    ABC2/ABC4 SE,
    ABC3 SE,
    ABC Vic,
    ABC News 24 (WA ?),
    ABC1 WA,
    ABC2/ABC4 WA,
    ABC3 WA,
    ABC1 Tas,

you could also check if you get these channels or not ..... as well as 7mate central
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 07-05-15 at 10:24 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

Smacca (08-05-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    7mate Central sits on 12647V, the highest VAST frequency. It's not bundled with the other Southern Cross channels. If Westlink and the 800/802 Info channels are also showing no signal, you have a problem with your dish alignment, LNB or cabling.
    I am a bit surprised to read that as I thought because the STB (UEC at least) defaults to those channels (800/801) before being activated, if you cant see them, you dont get anything.
    But I am still wondering from these replies, can you loose just one part of a 'channel' like 7mate but still retain the others like 7, 7Two etc ??
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    can you loose just one part of a 'channel' like 7mate but still retain the others like 7, 7Two etc ??
    In this case you can, because Southern Cross have decided to place 7mate on another transponder. SBS Tasmania has done this too, with SBS HD Tas on 11886V and SBS ONE Tas/SBS 2 SE on 12567V. The rest of the VAST broadcasters keep their primary- and multi-channels for a particular state/area on the one transponder. I'd say they had bandwidth issues and had to split them. From memory 7mate Central used to sit on 12369V alongside GWN and WIN, before being shafted to its current home to make way for a second 7mate channel for WA.
    Last edited by Smacca; 10-05-15 at 06:22 PM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

beerman (12-01-16),gordon_s1942 (10-05-15),OSIRUS (10-05-15),Tiny (10-05-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

In this case you can, because Southern Cross have decided to place 7mate on another transponder. SBS Tasmania has done this too, with SBS HD Tas on 11886V and SBS ONE Tas/SBS 2 SE on 12567V. The rest of the VAST broadcasters keep their primary- and multi-channels for a particular state/area on the one transponder. I'd say they had bandwidth issues and had to split them. From memory 7mate Central used to sit on 12369V alongside GWN and WIN, before being shafted to its current home to make way for a second 7mate channel for WA.
    PITA if you wanted to watch on channel and record another. That's the beauty of having all the channels in the one bouquet.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    PITA if you wanted to watch on channel and record another. That's the beauty of having all the channels in the one bouquet.

Leroy
    No problems if you use the WA bouquet!

Makes you wonder why they didn't just spread the local news channels across multiple TP's to free up bandwidth rather than toying with their main channels. I'm sure no one would care if they couldn't watch and record local news at the same time.
    Last edited by Smacca; 10-05-15 at 08:32 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

No problems if you use the WA bouquet!

Makes you wonder why they didn't just spread the local news channels across multiple TP's to free up bandwidth rather than toying with their main channels. I'm sure no one would care if they couldn't watch and record local news at the same time.
    Its been very rare occasions I have watched and recorded a program because thats why you record anything is because you cant watch it at the time UNLESS your doing it for someone to watch later.

Thanks

Default 7 Mate on Vast

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    Good Point .....

7mate central @ 12647 V also shares this frequency with these channels:

ABC News 24 (SE ?)
    ABC1 NSW,
    ABC2/ABC4 SE,
    ABC3 SE,
    ABC Vic,
    ABC News 24 (WA ?),
    ABC1 WA,
    ABC2/ABC4 WA,
    ABC3 WA,
    ABC1 Tas,

you could also check if you get these channels or not ..... as well as 7mate central

Hello again. After much checking and rechecking settings on all my sat gear, I found the problem to be the LNB. It is a universal LNB on a 3.4m motorized dish. with a Lo Freq.
    10.750, not the 10.700 that is required. I received all the channels except 7Mate on an LNB freq. 11300. I found an old austar dish, bought a new 10700 LO freq. set it all up and have all now including the info channel and 7Mate.
    Thanks all for your input.

fiddler

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fiddler For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (24-05-15),puca (25-05-15),Smacca (27-05-15)

Premium Member

Thanks

Hello Fiddler, An interesting reply and one to add to the book of 'Bloody Things sent to try and Aggravate'.

Correct me if I am wrong (often are) but did I read that VAST doesnt like Universal type LNB's and if so, thats possibly the reason ??
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 24-05-15 at 12:50 PM.

• Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445464748 LastLast