Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: VAST and third party recievers

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    UltraPower have assured me his card is working in one of their receivers. But of course I've had many guys saying they can't get their cards going. I did ask him again and have no reason to doubt him. Maybe it's something to do with 5.7 cards and 6.0 cards?? dunno

Leroy
    Hoping UP can provide some details when back.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by autertip View Post
    Once the card is married to the box there is no hope in using another.

To compound the problem further the cam key algorithm is also completely different which means no softcam or non-certified stb will work
    The million dollar questions

So what will happen when other manufacturers release an authorised vast box...

1. Will UEC be forced to somehow unmarry current vast cards, allowing to work within other authorised boxes?
    2. When other boxes are available, will we be forced again to only buy as a card and box package deal, or will there be a card only option?
    3. Will these new authorised boxes be locked down like current UEC is, or could they be used to receive other channels and sats?
    4. If UEC release a PVR box, will current vast cards be unmarried, then remarried and work in new PVR box, or will it require another vast card authorisation?

Realise it's a wait and see, as there are no answers yet. I'm like most of us and frustrated as hell with the woeful quality of this box.
    It's small & looks good until you turn it on; but on the other side of things, having more and clearer channels is fantastic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post

1. Will UEC be forced to somehow unmarry current vast cards, allowing to work within other authorised boxes?
    2. When other boxes are available, will we be forced again to only buy as a card and box package deal, or will there be a card only option?
    3. Will these new authorised boxes be locked down like current UEC is, or could they be used to receive other channels and sats?
    4. If UEC release a PVR box, will current vast cards be unmarried, then remarried and work in new PVR box, or will it require another vast card authorisation?

Realise it's a wait and see, as there are no answers yet. I'm like most of us and frustrated as hell with the woeful quality of this box.
    It's small & looks good until you turn it on; but on the other side of things, having more and clearer channels is fantastic.
    The online application I completed did not ask for the box number it just asked for the card number and the box type was in a drop down menu and of course the only one. So the card is married to the UEC Box but not mine specifically?

Thanks

I understand from a post elsewhere on this forum UEC will be providing a firmware update for the current box to allow it to become a PVR via the existing USB input/outlet (supposed to be at end of this month) - rather than a different box.

• The Following User Says Thank You to earlsdon For This Useful Post:

Xplorer (22-01-11)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by earlsdon View Post
    I understand from a post elsewhere on this forum UEC will be providing a firmware update for the current box to allow it to become a PVR via the existing USB input/outlet (supposed to be at end of this month) - rather than a different box.
    If that's the case, then hopefully the update will also iron out the many problems being experienced.

Thanks

Default uec pvr

i was in touch with uec late last year and they told me that the current box would not be updated and that a new box was in development. why , i don't know when the usb port is already in place and only requiring a firmware update to utilize it.

wxcooper

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wxcooper View Post
    i was in touch with uec late last year and they told me that the current box would not be updated and that a new box was in development. why , i don't know when the usb port is already in place and only requiring a firmware update to utilize it.

wxcooper
    I may be pessimistic - profit.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (21-01-11)

Thanks

Am totally pessimistic about VAST changing their encryption to allow third party boxes; its more likely that one or two of the other manufacturers will be allowed to develop a 'VAST' box as the current arrangements would be viewed as anti competitive so I suspect this will be the way they will go.

The expansion of FTA TV via VAST, and a much bigger increase of subscribers once the FTA terrestrial blackspot customers come on line, means a whole new beaucratic structure within Conroy's Department to regulate this service.

Beaurocratic behaviour, being what it is, will mean that the boffins are more likely to increase regulation and control around VAST rather than decrease it. On the flip side, they wont have the resources to continually monitor and block decryption techniques and c/s in the way the pay providers have done.

Over to you - tech savvy guys on this forum to continue the good fight!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pc9 For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (21-01-11),Xplorer (22-01-11)

Thanks

I dont think its an issue of the box being specially developed by VAST. I think its more likely its an Irdeto licensing issue. It looks like these new kappa cards and above versions require a special version of the licensed CAM.

This seems to be the same issue with all the Kappa card released elsewhere in the world.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to autertip For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (21-01-11),tristen (22-01-11),Xplorer (22-01-11)

Thanks

No. The VAST specs quantify a silicon sercure marriage between box and card

Yes you will need to buy another box and card. This is the only way the specs say you can buy one.

From what I have gathered yes they will be locked out. Given they are to conform to a spec

Another box/card combo will be needed. The cards can not be divorced from the box just like the box can not be divorced from the card

Give it at least 6 months, you'll be supprised who comes to market!
    Last edited by Strada916; 17-01-11 at 12:07 AM. Reason: some extra words to make sence

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strada916 For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (21-01-11),Xplorer (22-01-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by autertip View Post
    I dont think its an issue of the box being specially developed by VAST. I think its more likely its an Irdeto licensing issue. It looks like these new kappa cards and above versions require a special version of the licensed CAM.

This seems to be the same issue with all the Kappa card released elsewhere in the world.
    wrong. the boxes are especially develped for VAST.

I'll need to see if I can find the specs for all to see.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Strada916 For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (21-01-11)

Thanks

these are the minimum apecs
    Last edited by Strada916; 17-01-11 at 12:28 AM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strada916 For This Useful Post:

efab (17-01-11),Fernbay (21-01-11),sdrambo (10-02-11),Tiny (17-01-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Strada916 View Post
    It's only specifying features that have already been deveoped, nothing new.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (21-01-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    It's only specifying features that have already been deveoped, nothing new.

Leroy
    For those that don't know, here's a link to the VAST Specifications that any third party manufacturer will have to adhere to:

Link:

Sorry Strada916... I can't read!!
    Last edited by dstudd; 17-01-11 at 09:35 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to dstudd For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (21-01-11)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

In the VAST specs there is this:
    "• include control word encryption to protect the control word delivery between the smartcard and the paired MPEG chip;
    • support a unique identity so that only authorised set top boxes can work in the operator’s network;
    • allow secure software over the air downloads into set top box to upgrade security and / or functionality requirements, including middleware;"

Does this mean they have built in the ability to change the encryption for security reasons & therefore prevent thirdparty boxes from working in the longterm, even if some have been working in the past

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (21-01-11)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    In the VAST specs there is this:
    "• include control word encryption to protect the control word delivery between the smartcard and the paired MPEG chip;
    • support a unique identity so that only authorised set top boxes can work in the operator’s network;
    • allow secure software over the air downloads into set top box to upgrade security and / or functionality requirements, including middleware;"

Does this mean they have built in the ability to change the encryption for security reasons & therefore prevent thirdparty boxes from working in the longterm, even if some have been working in the past
    Based on that I would believe thats exactly what it says.
    ANY and ALL VAST STB's can be authorised or denied service as directed by the Authorising Body.
    A couple of years ago a Court Order denied access of the ABC via Aurora into certain areas due to some case before the Courts.
    Right from Day One the intention I believe has NEVER been to allow the use of 3rd party receivers and unless there is an absolutely about face, it never will be.
    They however have left the back door open by not being more vigilant in ensuring the VAST stb's are where they are supposed to be.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (21-01-11),tristen (22-01-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dstudd View Post
    For those that don't know, here's a link to the VAST Specifications that any third party manufacturer will have to adhere to:

Link:

Sorry Strada916... I can't read!!
    not to worry dude, no need for applogy

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strada916 For This Useful Post:

dstudd (22-01-11),Fernbay (21-01-11)

Thanks

Default vast boxes

any updates on what the 3rd box may and what is the other box that is supposed to be available beside the UEC.

wxcooper

Thanks

Hills and uec are the know manufactures for vast atm

• The Following User Says Thank You to Strada916 For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (21-01-11)

Thanks

wrong. the boxes are especially develped for VAST.

I'll need to see if I can find the specs for all to see.
    Nothing in those specs that have been posted say to me the box was developed for VAST. Its based upon the DVB-S2 standard with the irdeto softcell version 3

for the Conditional Access System:
    • support an embedded IRDETO KMS Conditional Access System
    consisting of softcell version 3 within the Set Top Box; and
    • support IRDETO Smart Card version 5 or higher conforming to ISO7816;

The reason you cannot use the card in any other box is because you need "irdeto softcell 3.0" which off course is licensed by Irdeto.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autertip For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (22-01-11),Xplorer (22-01-11)

• Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast