Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: VAST and third party recievers

Thanks

Send it to the Green senators they will control the balance of power in a few months
    Xenephone is a good one to go with now too before his power gets diluted.

Thanks

I actually rang the ACC. They're as useless as the UEC boxes. They told me they had no power to deal with a minister and I should complain directly to him.

As to why this has happened the way it has, from an inside contact:-
    A certain engineer at a certain phone company that owns satellites made sure it went that way. Nuf said? Government is too weak to argue the point in case certain satellite owner packs a wally and takes it all home with them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mtya View Post
    I actually rang the ACC. They're as useless as the UEC boxes. They told me they had no power to deal with a minister and I should complain directly to him.

As to why this has happened the way it has, from an inside contact:-
    A certain engineer at a certain phone company that owns satellites made sure it went that way. Nuf said? Government is too weak to argue the point in case certain satellite owner packs a wally and takes it all home with them.
    Thanks for that. Obviously something like that did occur & I'll pass it on to Turnbull.

As we are in a black spot here I'll now lobby my local member (of Parliament I mean ) but I guess we are likely to get most action from opposition or independents.

Thanks to those who are doing some lobbying. To get this stupid, anti competitive system changed could be far easier than hacking cards, something which should not be necessary anyway.

John
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

Thanks

I agree about the earlier sentiments about our (NZ) Freeview.

Our situation is made far simpler by two factors
    1/ Sky owns any sporting rights worth having, so we don't have the problems with trying to keep to anti-siphoning laws
    2/ Other than TV One's pseudo regionalisation, all channels on Freeview satellite are national with no local content on it.

Thanks

I copied the other postings (the actual complaints) and posted one directly to the ACCC website, and as soon as I can find a list of all email addresses for members of parliament, I will send that out as well.

Unfortunately, from experience, I would'nt hold your breath waiting for something to happen, unless you can find some dirt on them.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mtya For This Useful Post:

bodgie (18-02-11),kevin1341 (14-02-11)

Thanks

Default vast pvr box

does anyone have any updates as to when we may see a vast pvr capable box. aurora is OK but when the motogp and F1 start in march i'm stuffed.

wxcooper

Thanks

Supposedly there are three manufactures working on these boxes.

We have only seen the UEC box so far, so fingers crossed there will be more options shortly..
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bambbbam View Post
    Supposedly there are three manufactures working on these boxes.

We have only seen the UEC box so far, so fingers crossed there will be more options shortly..
    I'm told Healing will be another supplier, after the UEC 'exclusive' period expires.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

bambbbam (18-02-11)

Thanks

Default a reminder for them .

I copied the other postings (the actual complaints) and posted one directly to the ACCC website, and as soon as I can find a list of all email addresses for members of parliament, I will send that out as well.

Unfortunately, from experience, I would'nt hold your breath waiting for something to happen, unless you can find some dirt on them.
    Perhaps if you tell them that if they sweep it under the carpet a campain could be lauched about their parliamentry pensions .
    I bet they'll sit up and listen then .

Thanks

Well, got an answer back from ACCC. After a load of bull about how they look after this and that, they told me to lodge a complaint with the Commonwealth Ombudsman.

As for campaigns attacking their pensions - come on, they (well 99.99%) of them are from the "I love me, who do you love" brigade. They think everybody loves them, no matter what you say to them. Unless you can catch them with their hand in the cookie jar, nothing will happen.

Thanks

Well, got an answer back from ACCC. After a load of bull about how they look after this and that, they told me to lodge a complaint with the Commonwealth Ombudsman.
    Someone from the ACCC rang me yesterday with the same news that they cannot do anything about "government policy". But no mention was made about complaining to the Commonwealth Ombudsman, something I will do.

I did gripe to my local federal pollie along the lines we are in a blackspot here and the present VAST proposals are anti competitive etc but as he is a member of the labour party it was most likely a waste of time.

But it is a bit like the dripping water on the stone - enough of it makes an impression. Problem with the present situation is we are the drips and the Government is stone walling.

Bottom line though, if we do nothing then we only have ourselves to blame!

John

Thanks

OK, I've now sent the following to the Ombudman: ombudsman@ombudsman.gov.au

Sirs

Analog TV is to be discontinued shortly and all TV will be digital. That is an easy situation for most of the population as an aerial and STB or PVR is all that will be required. And there is a big choice of STB and PVR brands these people can choose from.

This is not the situation the Government is implementing for those of us in black spot or remote areas. We will have to rely on satellite services for digital TV. In itself this is no big deal as many of us already possess satellite dishes and receivers BUT what is a big deal is the way the VAST service will operate. Reception will only be possible using an encrypted card, and worst still, it will only work in one of three brands of equipment, and even then, we understand it will be only recognised by the one receiver. In other words the card will be married to only one piece of equipment and will not work with any other.

This is a very bad policy on a number of counts -

* it is anti competitive for only three companies to be able to sell suitable equipment to the public
    * as we are dealing with "free to air" broadcasts there seems no reason for cards to be encrypted at all
    * it is making the VAST system much more expensive for both the Government (who are intending to subsidise the service to some) and to individuals
    * it is unnecessarily blocking individuals like myself, who already have satellite equipment, from using the VAST service without further expense which is only necessary because of the policy of encrypting cards
    * it is adding another unnecessary layer of bureaucracy (with associated expense) to administer this VAST system.

I have contacted the Minister for Communications about this matter but have not even had the courtesy of an acknowledgement, let alone a reply. I therefore contact yourselves with a request to investigate the reasons for the present approach to VAST and to investigate if there has been any collusion between any of the three manufacturers involved and the decision to follow the present policies.

Thank you for your attention

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tassie Devil For This Useful Post:

AJM (24-02-11),leginau (22-02-11),OSIRUS (18-02-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    I'm told Healing will be another supplier, after the UEC 'exclusive' period expires.
    Be wise to have the unit scan in AlJAzeera International automatically, along with VAST of course.
    5th Wyking Panzer Division

Thanks

Just had a call from the office of the Ombudman and was told they could only investigate something after I had lodged a formal complaint with the Department of Communication and Digital Economy and was dissatisfied with their response. I was urged to give them a ring on 1800 254 649 and to make sure I got a reference number. I could then get back to the Ombiudsman if not satisfied after 28 days.

So I just rang DBCDE and spoke to a nice lady who had never heard of anyone asking for a reference number!!! We spoke for awhile and I outlined what our concern was but she was obviously at a loss to know how she could help. She suggested I contact ACMA - the Australian Consumer and Media Authority on 1300 362 072. That was not much use as a robot voice informed me that "the number could not be connected & to please try again". I did but of course got the same message.

Now I was given the internet site for ACMA so will email them.

Ye Gods, it is an eye opener just how big (and how useless) the Federal bureaucracy is!!! But, deep breath, we MUST continue to stir as the way VAST is operating is ridiculous and does smell of corruption.

I'll also contact 60 minutes and 4 Corners to see if they can dig up something.

John

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I just rang that 1300 362 072 and got a recorded message that said I had reached I think the ACMA Ombudsman and the call would be answered shortly along with the usual crap re recording etc etc but I disconnected as I wasnt expecting other than what Tassie Devil posted.
    It was about 4.45pm so maybe you could try again tomorrow, Tassie??
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Red face Just got a reply from the Australian Communications and Media Authority

Wow, talk about buck passing!!!! No one wants to claim responsibility. I wonder why!! Going out now so will follow up tomorrow. I wonder how many more SSBUD (Stupid Silly Beaurocratic Useless Departments) have to be contacted. The reply:

Thank you for your enquiry.

Your enquiry raises a number of policy issues in relation to VAST satellite television service. The ACMA is Australia’s regulator for broadcasting, radiocommunications, telecommunications and the Internet, however the policy matters within this portfolio, such as the ones you raise, are set and administered by the Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy. The Department’s Digital Switchover Taskforce (DST) is responsible for setting the policy and administering the digital television switchover, including matters related to VAST satellite television. You can contact DST by emailing switchover@dbcde.gov.au or by calling 1800 20 10 13. More information can be found on the website

The ACMA is not in a position to comment or give an explanation of the reasons why a particular approach in implementing the VAST satellite television has been employed by DST.

Regards

Alex Kostic

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tassie Devil For This Useful Post:

Tiny (23-02-11)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Wow, do these people take a Phd in buck passing

The biggest obstacle is that SSBUD's are endless in number & every time Gov't policy changes they start a new one.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Question Email just sent to DBCDE and a copy to Turnbull, the Shadow Communications Minister

Sirs

I have been informed by Alex Kostic of the Australian Communications and Media Authority that the policies relating to administration and implementation of the VAST satellite FTA TV services are determined by yourselves at the DBCDE. I live in a blackspot of reception in Northern Tasmania and cannot enjoy reliable reception of FTA TV services using the normal terrestial aerial systems. We have spent hundreds of dollars on various aerials and employed various technicians but have not found a solution. It was therefore of considerable interest when I found that next year the VAST satellite TV service will be available here.

However on further investigation I discover that an encrypted card is required and further, this can only be used in one of three specified brands and even then will be tied to a particular unit and cannot be used in any other. This is a very restrictive trade practice and one I am at a loss to understand. Most Australians can choose from a large number of brands of set top boxes and digital recorders but it seems those of us in blackspot or remote areas will have a highly restricted choice. This situation is one I cannot understand and so am contacting you for an explanation. I already have a satellite dish and a modern satellite digital recorder and cannot see why any card at all, let alone one so highly encrypted and specifically tied to any one unit, should be required to access free to air (NOT PAY TV) services.

With an aerial system, one orientates it in a certain direction then that signal can be decoded in any one of many FTA terrestial units and reception is enjoyed after it has been tuned to receive the particular frequencies being broadcast in that region. Why cannot a similar relatively simple situation apply to receive VAST satellite services? Point the satellite dish in the appropriate direction, tune the satellite receiver in to an appropriate symb rate and frequency and we have FREE TO AIR TV reception. Each of the Tasmanian TV channels can be allocated appropriate frequencies etc which I can then tune in for reliable reception.

So could you please inform me -

1. Why your department has determined that cards are necessary to receive VAST services when dealing with FTA services
    2. Why the cards are so heavily encrypted
    3. Why it is necessary to restrict the card to be used in one and only one satellite receiver
    4. Why those of us wishing to use VAST are being restricted in choice to only one of three brands
    5. Why have you set up a system that stops me from using my present satellite equipment to receive VAST and will involve me and others in considerable and unnecessary extra expense
    6. What is the justification for setting up this complex card system requiring administrative costs, extra expense to the Government who are to subsidise some individuals, and extra expense to individuals like myself who already have otherwise suitable satellite equipment.

I would appreciate a clear written technical and economic answer as I am at a complete loss to understand why FTA services are being made so much more difficult and expensive for those of us living in blackspot and remote areas. Please also send a copy of your reply to the Hon Malcolm Turnbull MP, the Opposition Shadow Minister for Communications at Malcolm.Turnbull.MP@aph.gov.au.

Thank you for your attention and I look forward to your reply.
    Last edited by Tassie Devil; 24-02-11 at 07:06 AM. Reason: typo

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tassie Devil For This Useful Post:

Farmsky (24-02-11),gordon_s1942 (24-02-11),marty 17 (24-02-11),mysticalchemist (06-03-11),Tiny (24-02-11)

Thanks

And this automated acknowledgment:

Thank you for your email, we are currently experiencing a high volume of enquiries and will respond as soon as possible.

For more information about the switch to digital TV and to find out when your area is scheduled to switchover, please visit .

Alternatively you can call the information line on: 1800 20 10 13.

Please do not reply to this email.

Kind regards

Digital Switchover Taskforce

Thanks

Default Question to the more Technical Savvy guys:

So I might get into some sort of technical argument and get out of my depth, please advise about how the present receivers such as the UltrPlus F-9000HD meet the VAST requirements - ignoring the bit about "smart" card (I can think of better descriptions but will hold my tongue). I have a feeling the collusion we are suspicious of is being encouraged by the commercial broadcasters and the encryption is for the mutual benefit of those broadcasters and a couple of "selected" STB suppliers. I wish to avoid being blinded by bureaucratic bulldust so please forewarn me of any traps.

A Set Top Box must:
    • support an electronic program guide similar in appearance and functionality to that used by Regional Commercial Television Licensees;
    • for the Conditional Access System:
    • support an embedded IRDETO KMS Conditional Access System consisting of softcell version 3 within the Set Top Box; and
    • support IRDETO Smart Card version 5 or higher conforming to ISO7816;
    • support letterbox and 4:3 centre-cut for the display of 16:9 content on 4:3 displays;
    • support MHEG 5 middleware in accordance with the Australian Freeview standard;
    • provide DVB compliant closed captioning where included in the content;
    • support MPEG1 layer 1&2 (Musicam), sampling frequencies 32, 44.1 and 48kHz audio;
    • support Dolby Digital audio;
    • support AAC v1 and AAC v2 audio;
    • support DVB-S, with symbol rates of 2 to 45 MS/s;
    • support DVB-S2 QPSK and 8PSK, with symbol rates of 2 to 30 MS/s;
    • be capable of operating with transponders which are in the Ku band when fitted with the appropriate LNB;
    • include a composite video and dual channel audio outputs on RCA sockets;
    • provide parental lock capability consistent with the relevant Australian terrestrial television standard;
    • be based on a "secure silicon" chip set;
    • be based on a "secure silicon" approach to address control word redistribution and device software tampering;
    • include a secure boot to prevent the loader and hence the application being replaced;
    • pairing of smartcard and set top box so that a set top box will only work with a unique smartcard and vice versa;
    • include control word encryption to protect the control word delivery between the smartcard and the paired MPEG chip;
    • support a unique identity so that only authorised set top boxes can work in the operator’s network;
    • support HD and SD channels;
    • 'look and feel' similar to digital terrestrial set top boxes including channel numbering that replicates terrestrial logical channel numbering, through the use of bouquets;
    • allow secure software over the air downloads into set top box to upgrade security and / or functionality requirements, including middleware; and
    • have the capacity to allow software upgrades to occur to upgrade functionality requirements, including middleware via an industry standard port on the set top box.

TIA

John

• Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast