Thread: LNB Settings

Thanks

Default LNB Settings

What does these LNB settings stand for?
    LOF/L
    LOF/H
    Threashold

the reason I'm asking is toor's newbie video (dm500s) sets these to 11300, 11300, and 11700 (didn't work for me). Alot of people on the forums say to use 10700, 10700, 10700. And of course there are other options. I initially has mine set to 10700, 10700, 10700, but just for an experiment I set it to 10700, 10700, 11700 and still works fine. Why are these numbers so magic?

Maybe if I understood what these settings are I would be able to tweak these.
    Why are they not the same for everyone?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

There is NOTHING magic about those number, because they match those numbers that are printed on your LNB.
    You have to tell your box what LNB you are using so it knows what the hell is going on.

I have 2 LNB's (a universal and a sharp) i have one box set to universal and the box using the sharp LNB set to 10700 10700 10700.
    If you go on the roof you will see on the LNB sticker 10.7, you are just matcing that setting within the box

Thanks

As to what an LNB is, the following is from Wikipedia

A low-noise block converter (LNB, for low-noise block, or sometimes LNC, for low-noise converter) is used in (usually ) reception (downlink). The LNB is usually fixed on or in the , for the reasons outlined below. The corresponding component in the uplink transmit link is called a (BUC).
    Satellites use comparatively high to transmit their .

Thanks

Thanks oceanboy - Clears it up. I have a sharp. Late at night I was getting some pixelation so wondering if changing these would help. It seems the right setting for low is 10700, but would things be better if I set high to like 11300/11700? i.e would that be fruitless of actually could help things.
    As I mentioned I changed the threshold to 11700 and things seemed OK but I dont know if it was for the better or worse doing that.

Premium Member
    Thanks

There will be someone more technically minded here to explain Lo Hi Threshold to you.... Or google it.
    All i know is when the LNB has 10.7 or 10700 stamped on it, slam 10700 in all the boxes. Thats as hard as it need be for me (i have better things to waste my time on)
    When i use those settings on my Sharp LNB i have no problem at all. Your pixelation could be any number of things. Try what i have told you and go back and look at your BER, there should be none. If you still have pixelation, focus your dish correctly. As you say in your first post "a lot of people on forums say to use 10700 10700 10700...." How many more times do you need to read it? Did it work for you?

What size dish, where are you and what sat you trying to lock on to?

Thanks

Your right oceanboy... I shouldn't be like me 4 year old nephew. He likes to point at everything and say "whats that".

For the record.
    C1
    SNR: 96
    AGC: 87
    BER: 0 - never moves.

I was pretty happy with those stats so haven't touched the dish for a while.
    But the pixelation is few and far between and usually late at night. I thought an option may be due to LNB settings but it sounds like they are right.
    I'll investigate more.

Thanks for your help dude.

Premium Member
    Thanks

To my knowledge, pixilation late at night is a typical sign of a poorly aligned dish. It the classic case of someone slamming a dish up in the day time, getting it mostly right with good SNR and AGC, then at night for some reason signal gets unstable.

Your SNR and AGC are good, but have you tried that on all transponders? Have you looked at your LNB skew? Does moisture get in anything at night? Are all your connection new and clean? Does it happen on all channels or just some?

Thanks

Hmmm... your right oceanboy. Took me about 20 mins to align the dish (not total installation 1/2 day). I'm pretty handy so I took time to ensure the pole was plum and used google maps to find true north and selecting a landmark (used lyngsat also). Once I had those I basically found that straight away I got a good SNR and AGC and left it as that. LNB skew is at 7.30 (when I skewed between 7-8 I found no difference in signal so left it in between).
    I usually go on the principal that taking the time before hand to ensure the base is correct, everything is easier so wasn't surprised aligning the dish was so easy. Sounds like I'm wrong... HAHAHA... I take back my victory dance when I found the sat.

Yes all my connections are new and clean. It's still early but it does appear to only happen on some channels.

P.S Since I'm a newbie I dont know how to try it on all transponders.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Ok, for your LNB skew you seem about right. But to make it even easier, just look at another dish in your area and do the same

As for fine adjustments on each TP, you need the manual scan screen and watch the SNR and AGC for each and every TP, then go back through them again and make sure. It's a pain in the ass, but at least its done right and you never have to do it again, or worse, end up like you are now
    Don't not even bother trying to focus a dish using a Dreambox. If you have another type of box ie: Humax etc, use that.

Thanks

Thanks mate... very helpful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Don't not even bother trying to focus a dish using a Dreambox.
    And why is that?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Have you ever done it Krueger?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Have you ever done it Krueger?
    I am gathering you mean aligning a dish using a Dreambox, and the answer is yes all the time. I use my DM7025 with an LT image, and also my DM500 & DM7020 with a Gemini image.

Thanks

I do as well. dm500 using gemini. But I just figured when I hit the highest SNR and AGC (with no BER) then I'm aligned.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Mmmmmm must be the new tuners, cos you can't do that with a DM7000