Thread: 7 years is a long time

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default 7 years is a long time

AN interplanetary probe intended to go into orbit around Venus has failed in its mission, Japan's space agency said today, 200 days after it left Earth.

"Akatsuki", or "Dawn", was intended to be the first Japanese satellite to orbit a planet other than Earth.

Officially called the Planet-C Venus Climate Orbiter, the box-shaped golden satellite fitted with two paddle-shaped solar panels had blasted off from a space centre in southern Japan in May.

It reversed its engine to slow down and enter the planet's gravitational field today, when it temporarily lost contact with ground control, the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) said.

On Wednesday JAXA announced that its mission had failed - although it immediately said it was considering another attempt in seven years' time.

"We started the manoeuvre to put the Venus probe Akatsuki into orbit around Venus at 8.49am (Tokyo time) on December 7... but have confirmed that we could not put it into the orbit," JAXA said in a statement.

JAXA said it had set up a taskforce to investigate the cause of the failure.

Japan launched a Mars probe in 1998 but JAXA gave up on its attempt to put the probe, called "Nozomi" or "Hope", into orbit in 2003 after finding it impossible to overcome technical glitches.

Venus is similar in size and age to Earth but has a far more hostile climate, with temperatures around 460 degrees Celsius and large amounts of carbon dioxide, the primary greenhouse gas on Earth.

Scientists believe investigating the climate of Venus would help them deepen their understanding of theformation of the Earth's environment and its future.

The Akatsuki was fitted with five cameras to peer through the planet's thick layer of sulphuric acid clouds to monitor the meteorology of Venus, search for possible lightning, and scan its crust for active volcanoes.

Akatsuki was to work closely with the European Space Agency's Venus Express.

Read more:

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Don't worry, they've got a nice big spacecraft for lifting stuff into orbit. A little bit of competition for the progress cargo ships. They'll probably end up working with somebody like India in the next moon space race. But don't hold ya breath folks. I doubt anybody (including the chinese) will make it to the surface until at least 2025.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    I doubt anybody (including the chinese) will make it to the surface until at least 2025.
    I think russians did.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Sorry, meant the moon.
    I see the Dragon got off the ground and into orbit and returned to earth.
    The first private capsule.

All these parties are getting serious about going to the moon and it's being treated like a new moon race.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.