Thread: Answers: High quality BD-R media and differences b/w 1.1 and 1.2 BD-R discs..

Thanks

Default Answers: High quality BD-R media and differences b/w 1.1 and 1.2 BD-R discs..

Hey guys,

I've scouted various Blu Ray forums over the last few days and specifically hunted for threads on what the BEST QUALITY (or most preferred) type of media was when it comes to spending such high amounts on discs. Here's what i've foun (and you can also check fdor REVIEWS on specific kinds of media)

BD-R 25GB:

- Verbatim (aka Mitsubishi in Japan) are among the front runners, with the majority of BR-media users saying no burns have resulted in COASTERS (unless unsuccessfully attempting a fast overburn on the disc)
    - TDK come as a very cloose second, with all top 3 producing high quality printable surfaces for solid and relativbely brihgt image printing as well
    - Sony have also been reported to producing better quality discs ranking in the top 3 from my research.

BD-R 50GB:

Haven't looked into this terribly much; I have only personally used Sony 2x brand and burnt AVATAR IN 3D the other day; plays like a charm on PS3/Sony 3D TV, amazing quality, no issies during burn or playback. I personally won't attempt overburn on discs, as its not worth it due to the cost of stuffing up a disc.

I guess the old saying goes; you get what you pay for. If you spend less, you might have issues in terms of disclife lengevity, skipping on playback and player compability issues. Hope this helps some people in deciding what and where to buy, I get mine from EBAY (Japan sellers). Also, here's a bit of info between the 2x to the 4x BD-R discs and the differences between 1.1 and 1.2:

I'll try to help on this... Not much info out there. Spoke with a tech friend of mine who explained.....

The First Blu-Ray BD-R for consumer use is version 1.1 this is the first style, internal structure, dyes, and protective coating. These have been around since 2006. Not much has changed until 2009, where they came out with Version 1.2, Version 1.2 allows for up to 4X writing speed and also uses a different dye, which is less prone to "image fade" or data loss as you may have heard is prone to BD-R and BD-R DL disks for many years.. This year many manufacturers have come out with Version 1.3, this newest style Blu-Ray disk has more internal updates to dyes and this version usually comes labeled up to 6X write speed and a scratch resistant hard shell, although some manufacturers included the hard shell in their 1.2 BD-R's...

Anyways, all versions will work fine, mostly impacted is long-term shelf life and how fast you can burn the disk.. Although even if I had a 6X v1.3 disk I would still burn at 2X...

Hope this helps!
    RoOSTA

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roosta For This Useful Post:

Dvdking (18-12-10),LordDavis (10-12-10)

Look Here ->