Thread: ABC on VAST

Thanks

Default ABC on VAST

I was just having a look at LyngSat and noticed that ABC 3 is listed under VAST as FTA. Since I'm in Sydney (and get most channels from at least 2 directions Gore Hill and Illawarra), I don't qualify for this service so I haven't looked into it, but I'm curious if any of you know if the Government channels will be/remain unencrypted on VAST?

OC

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I was under the impression that no matter where you were in OZ, you can have the ABC/SBS but if your in a Terrestial served area, why bother with the cost of a STB and Dish at over $500 when a $50 antenna gets them all in a set with a Digital tuner.
    Its the Commercial channels that are the restricted ones because of Broadcasting/Advertising rights and bloody sports coverage.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

ABC3 SE is currently unencrypted, but as all the other ABC channels are not like that, I think this is temporary.

The bigger question is: why are they wasting HD bandwidth on identical local versions of ABC24?
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bambbbam View Post
    The bigger question is: why are they wasting HD bandwidth on identical local versions of ABC24?
    I think Stateline is local, but that's about it. It is indeed a waste, but not out of the ordinary for ABC. There's now 4 different versions of each ABC1 on satellite, it's absurd.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I was under the impression that no matter where you were in OZ, you can have the ABC/SBS but if your in a Terrestial served area, why bother with the cost of a STB and Dish at over $500 when a $50 antenna gets them all in a set with a Digital .
    No, under Aurora the ABC and SBS is also encrypted (why, I don;t bloody well know), but one can get a card regardless of address. On the other hand, if they remain FTA on VAST then any cheap receiver and dish aimed at C1/D3 will be sufficient to receive them.

I was just asking because I need a 3m mast on my roof to get DVB-T ABC and SBS well. Currently, I serve myself from D1, but with all those ABC's and SBS's I'm a little bit concerned that D1 will eventually be shutdown.

OC

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Optima Collins View Post
    No, under Aurora the ABC and SBS is also encrypted (why, I don;t bloody well know), but one can get a card regardless of address. On the other hand, if they remain FTA on VAST then any cheap receiver and dish aimed at C1/D3 will be sufficient to receive them.

I was just asking because I need a 3m mast on my roof to get DVB-T ABC and SBS well. Currently, I serve myself from D1, but with all those ABC's and SBS's I'm a little bit concerned that D1 will eventually be shutdown.

OC
    They won't be shut down as the are the terrestrial down links to terrestrial translators. They oneday might get encrypted though.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

Optima Collins (17-12-10)

Thanks

Isn't ABC3 SE currently the only unencrypted ABC channel?

All the others show up as € for me.
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bambbbam View Post
    Isn't ABC3 SE currently the only unencrypted ABC channel?

All the others show up as € for me.
    Yep - same here on VU+Duo
    Dm500, DM5620, DM600 x2, DM7000 x1, DM7020, DM7025, DM800, VU+DUO and a partridge in a pear tree
    All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

A couple of years ago we lost the ABC channels out of our state area because of a court case pending in another state by that State's Court which is why although it is 'FTA' and available to all, its encrypted.
    No one was deprived of an ABC transmission, you just couldnt see matters that were considered Sub Judicy.
    Was it 'Underbelly' they delayed the Terrestial screening in Victoria due to a major criminal court case that was either pending or being heard in Melbourne??
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

It may have happened with Underbelly - but the first time I remember not being able to access the ABC on Aurora was when Blue Murder was screened on the ABC - it was blocked in some states.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by earlsdon View Post
    It may have happened with Underbelly - but the first time I remember not being able to access the ABC on Aurora was when Blue Murder was screened on the ABC - it was blocked in some states.
    Yes, it was the underbelly trials in Melbourne. The silly thing is that as far as I know (unless I missed something) all the ABCs on D1 were active, only Aurora was affected. I guess, being the terrestrial downlinks as Leroy points out, they probably assume no one is tuned into D1. No one except for most of us, that is.

OC