Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What sort of spider is this?

Thanks

Default What sort of spider is this?

Hey, I've been getting these little spiders around heaps, just curious to find out what they are, and if they are venomous etc.

Cheers, Gab
    Last edited by Gab250; 17-12-10 at 07:04 PM.

Look Here ->

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gab250 View Post
    Hey, I've been getting these little spiders around heaps, just curious to find out what they are, and if they are venomous etc.

Cheers, Gab
    It's one of those magical unicorn spiders. They're usually found on candy mountain, and answer to the name 'Charlie'

Edit: Now with the pic, it looks very similar to a white tale. Has it got a white tip on it's bum?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    It's one of those magical unicorn spiders. They're usually found on candy mountain, and answer to the name 'Charlie'

Edit: Now with the pic, it looks very similar to a white tale. Has it got a white tip on it's bum?
    lmfaoooooooooooo

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Some form of arachnapod???
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks

no white tip, doesnt look like what I know to be white tails, and isnt as big as a white tail. It's been squished now lol

Gab

Thanks

dude , judging by the cobwebs you need to do more housework. my missus is a clean freek and removes them before they even start.

i saw a spider ID chart i think on a pest controllers website , try that

Gulargambone, Western Plains, NSW, Australia.
    Thanks

AAAAaaaaaaaaahhhhhh! EEEeeeeeekkkk!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

You all know the stories about the spider falling from the sun visor well that happened to me this morning bloody Huntsman spider. I went to drop the visor down and out it dropped onto the steering wheel luckily I was only in a 45k zone so I pulled over and took care of it.

Scared the Sh*t out of me though.

Mickstv
    Last edited by mickstv; 20-12-10 at 03:03 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I only worry if its Black and Hairy and bigger than a 5 Cent piece like the Blue Mountains relative of the Sydney Funnel Web which is a 'Bitey'.
    We caught both a Male and a Female last year and I think another Female late October.
    Believe me we didnt go looking for them, they were on a path beside the Coal stack.
    Its certainly not a RedBack and what I think are WhiteTails are soemwhat bigger, Grey/ Black markings with the white on the upper side abdoman and long legs.
    Got plenty of 'Daddy Long Legs', peeled the bark back on a log and found Mumma and about 20 babies, frightened the hell out of the Missus.
    She gave me back the Block splitter and told me to do it myself.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Default Arachnid

It looks like one of those jumping spiders that you find in the garden, but your spider looks much bigger.
    The garden spiders that i'm thinking of are lucky to be 1/2 inch long.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Thanks

Whatever it is, it's pretty handy at catching those little bugs !! If it's not bothering anybody I'd think about keepiong it around
    It's only when they go 'wandering' that I don't like them
    Cheers.
    When I was a kid, I used to have an imaginary friend. I thought he went everywhere with me. I could talk to him and he could hear me, and he could grant me wishes and stuff too. But then I grew up, and stopped going to church.

Thanks

I call them jumping spiders.....they are little and harmless. We seem them all the time...hard to catch!

Thanks

its a jumping spider

harmless

NS
    The Early Bird May Get The Worm But Its The Second Mouse That Gets The Cheese!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Yep, jumping spider.
    My brother was admiring one that was sitting on his hand one day when a fly landed two inches away from it. It turned to face the fly and jumped. It was awesome to see.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

yep, jumping spider. harmless little fellows, they make good pets and you can talk to them.
    They signal with their little 'paws' and respond to tapping. They're considered to be the smartest of the spider family.

As a general rule, all the spiders in Australia are now considered harmless with the exception of the Mouse Spider and the Funnel Web, particularly the Sydney Funnel Web.
    Red Back spiders are not considered to be dangerous, though if you get bitten, ice and a trip to the hospital for good luck is all that is required. They watch you to make sure nothing nasty comes of you
    The other spiders can of course bite and give you a nasty memory of the occasion, but they aren't considered to be dangerous, this includes the white tails, which I'll squish anyway !
    Huntsmans, Wolfies and Jumping spiders are good spiders, no squishing those guys.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks

Don't forget the good old Black House Spider.

Qoute:-

The bite of the Black House Spider is poisonous but not lethal. Certain people bitten experience severe pain around the bite site, heavy sweating, muscular pains, vomiting, headaches and giddiness.

Mickstv

Thanks

Still not a dangerous spider, not because of it's venom or it's behaviour.
    I handled two of them yesterday. Didn't need to squish 'em. Moved them on.

Funnel Web. That's an aggressive dangerous spider with a venom to match.
    How many people do you see handling them ? nobody I've seen yet.

I figured Steve Irwin might have by now if the stingray hadn't got him first.
    "CRIKEY ! That little black ####er just bit me !"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    Still not a dangerous spider, not because of it's venom or it's behaviour.
    I handled two of them yesterday. Didn't need to squish 'em. Moved them on.

Funnel Web. That's an aggressive dangerous spider with a venom to match.
    How many people do you see handling them ? nobody I've seen yet.

I figured Steve Irwin might have by now if the stingray hadn't got him first.
    "CRIKEY ! That little black ####er just bit me !"

Yeah your right Australia has only a few that can kill but you never know who might be allergic to a certain type of venom. Look at bee's for instance only a small portion of the population will be at serious risk of dying from a sting.

Mickstv

Thanks

Yep, allergic reactions are the exception rather than the rule.
    I'm not planning on getting bitten by any of them

An interesting example of where allergic reactions (anaphylaxis) are extraordinarily high is Jack Jumper ants. Nasty little buggers.

Funnel Webs, Mouse spiders I will not handle and squish without consideration.
    Red Backs I won't handle though I would not be afraid to handle them in a controlled circumstance. They get squished if they are getting into unwanted places.

All other spiders I will handle without fear. Orb web spiders don't like being handled, so I won't. White tails are on my squishing list, though not for any good reasons.

Spiders are like cats. Small, cute and fury. They're ignore you unless you feed them.
    The only difference is four extra legs

There are plenty of other nasty critters lurking in the garden.
    Centipedes have a set of jaws, a painful bite and a ferocious attitude. They're the tigers of the insect world.

I was stung by a bee a couple of weeks ago. I'd not been stung for about 30 years and while it wasn't really painful, the swelling was interesting. Being stung on the neck of face I would take very seriously even if the person was not allergic.

I've been stung by a scorpion. The pain is like a hot pin being stuck into the skin, but goes away after a couple of hours.

Bull Ants (c**t ants) are aggressive and have a sting which I can only describe as punishing ! I was stung by one a few years ago that ambushed me. I flicked him off and put a stone gently on top of him. I cam back with MAPP gas and inflicted a slow and miserable death upon him and then went looking for his family. He was lucky I didn't know where he lived. (I told him so) The pain lasts for about a day and the swelling about a week.

Wasps - I've been stung by them and they are much the same as a scorpion sting.
    They're naturally aggressive. I used to MAPP them, but now I have found "kill wasp" or as I call it, "The touch of death". It's so good if you just "think" about using it and it kills wasps.

Leeches - Harmless. I don't mind feeding a leech every now and then, but when half the forest decides it's lunch time, I make sure salt is on the menu.

Ticks - sneaky little buggers. You can't feel them. I kill them with metho and then remove them the usual way.

I reckon I've got to get me a bot fly. Those things look nasty but appear to be more shocking than they really are.

Bed Bugs - About 20% of the population react to bed bug bites. Most of the population do not even know they have been bitten. Sometimes they might have a small row of red dots that look like a flea or mosquito bites.
    The people who react to bed bug bites come out in a large red rash and welts.
    I'm one of the later. I travel a lot and I'm a good indicator if a place has bed bugs.
    The problem is, it takes 3 days for the rash and welts to appear and often I've moved on.
    Despite the claims of the rise in bed bugs numbers, I've only ever found tow places (both in Australia) with bedbugs. I suspect I may have found a third a couple of weeks ago, but the rash wasn't consistent with places where bedbugs usually bite. (wrists and ankles)

But the weird arse prize for being bitten by something goes to .... An Assassin bug.
    Yeah, the name sounds cool. And if you've seen the movie "Starship Troupers", yes, those giant bugs are based on real life assassin bugs.
    The bite feels a bit like a bindi or a thorn being stuck into you. The bug stabs it's victims. It injects its saliva and digests it's prey externally and then sucks it back up through the stabbing mouth part like a straw.
    Naturally I was unimpressed at the greed of this little bug trying to eat me.
    I grabbed him and took him home to extract a confession of his crimes. No luck, he didn't confess to anything after a period of time.
    The bite left a lump the size of a gold ball that lasted for about two weeks.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

mickstv (22-12-10)

Thanks

got bit by a redback years ago went to the hospital an got a jab in the butt, stay a few hours for observation then home, wasnt a painfull bite and went all oily around the bite, got stung 6 times by my bees yesterday taking some snaps, i dont think they like the flash or me, shouldve suited up, copped lots of bee stings and obviously not allergic as they just leave me a bit itchy, i have a bullants nest in the yard and am thinking of putting some in an aquarium, those bastards hurt like hell, most painfull sting i had was a stinger plant in fnq, fark horses have been known to thrash themselves to death, was gunna put some snaps up but am 2 dumb 2 see browse my computer all i get is a url request
    Last edited by anyone; 22-12-10 at 09:12 PM. Reason: incompetence

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast