Thread: Aust Govt censoring VAST channel info?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Default Aust Govt censoring VAST channel info?

This is a weird one folks, so please bear with me.

I've started using SatBeams. It's a replacement for SatCodX which died not too long ago. I like SatBeams because a) it's easy to use and b) anyone can make changes instantly, unlike LyngSat.

Anyway, I just finished posting the frequency details for VAST, only to have them modified today by the webmasters. Their reason?...

EDIT: Removed email as requested by original author

The jist of the email was the Aust Govt had contacted SatBeams and requested the regional parts of the channel names be removed. IE; the "(WA)" part of "ABC1 (WA)", etc.

Meanwhile on Lyng it isn't an issue.

WTF? Why on earth can we now not have region information on a website, yet any Joe Bloggs can do a scan and have the region info at their fingertips?

Part of me thinks it could have been a prank? Not sure how the webmaster was contacted, but I certainly would have requested it in writing instead of email or phone.
    Last edited by Smacca; 18-12-10 at 06:51 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Time to get on to Julian Assange at WikiLeaks..... or forward the info to crikey.com - one of their staff is a member of Austech who has used the odd posting from here on Crikey - just can't remember his Austech username at the moment.

• The Following User Says Thank You to earlsdon For This Useful Post:

Smacca (18-12-10)

Thanks

Here is the SatBeams Vast Package info courtesy of Smacca.

Bizarre!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Its not like its top secret info or anything. Whack it in a post or thread here and we will see if anyone comes a calling with a similar request of removal.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Its not like its top secret info or anything. Whack it in a post or thread here and we will see if anyone comes a calling with a similar request of removal.
    That would be an interesting experiment. I don't see the point or what the VAST tech dept are trying to achieve? Maybe it's so it gets posted on Austech and then maybe Today Tonight will pick it up so it's free advertising they're after??

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Its not like its top secret info or anything. ...
    Ah, actually it is. I put on my spy cap for a second and started thinking about this for a while. Why wouldn't I want this info made public? A) I want to be the gate-keeper and B) I don't want unauthorised individuals (non VAST customers) accessing my transmissions. Now, the first is a given, but the second only makes sense if they haven't ironed out the transmission/encryption issues (testing) yet and will be periodically transmitting signals out of the licence areas as FTA. Since Joe Public doesn't (or shouldn't) know that he can receive the FTA signals without a VAST box and card then no one is the wiser, but we do know that and that is technically speaking an infringement of the license agreement. You can test my theory by periodically scanning as VAST is rolled out. I'd be really curious to know myself.

OC

• The Following User Says Thank You to Optima Collins For This Useful Post:

Smacca (18-12-10)

Thanks

Already done

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Windy For This Useful Post:

eeprommemory (18-12-10),sat 49 (19-12-10)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I could see this request for 'secrecy' being done by the same ones who draw the lines on maps designating reception areas.
    The fact these details can be posted on overseas listings and forums wouldnt occur to them as they cant see past their office calender.
    A it Emu-ish believing if it isnt here, it isnt anywhere.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Optima Collins View Post
    Ah, actually it is. I put on my spy cap for a second and started thinking about this for a while. Why wouldn't I want this info made public? A) I want to be the gate-keeper and B) I don't want unauthorised individuals (non VAST customers) accessing my transmissions. Now, the first is a given, but the second only makes sense if they haven't ironed out the transmission/encryption issues (testing) yet and will be periodically transmitting signals out of the licence areas as FTA. Since Joe Public doesn't (or shouldn't) know that he can receive the FTA signals without a VAST box and card then no one is the wiser, but we do know that and that is technically speaking an infringement of the license agreement. You can test my theory by periodically scanning as VAST is rolled out. I'd be really curious to know myself.

OC
    Good points. But VAST is no different to Aurora in that respect. No effort was ever made to remove regional information from Aurora, yet it is more vulnerable to 'hacking', even more likely to accidentally go FTA than any other platform in Australia (world?)

What makes this so ridiculous is the fact the channel names include regions on the satellite streams anyway. If they didn't, then they've made their intentions clear about what they want non-approved viewers to see. But for now it's clearly a double standard and they are going about it the wrong way.

I've also been asked to remove the email I posted earlier by the original author.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    Good points. But VAST is no different to Aurora in that respect. No effort was ever made to remove regional information from Aurora, yet it is more vulnerable to 'hacking', even more likely to accidentally go FTA than any other platform in Australia (world?)

What makes this so ridiculous is the fact the channel names include regions on the satellite streams anyway. If they didn't, then they've made their intentions clear about what they want non-approved viewers to see. But for now it's clearly a double standard and they are going about it the wrong way.

I've also been asked to remove the email I posted earlier by the original author.
    Tell him to HTFU

Thanks

The plot thickens!

Firstly, I believe that the original author(s) just wanted, justifiably given the situation, to protect their collective behind(s), particularly since you dragged them into a public forum. No dramas there. Secondly, I totally agree with you about Aurora, but the accountability changes. Whomever is calling the shots with VAST is using a different set of criteria. Just the fact that VAST is using tighter security/encryption alludes to that. This also forbodes a very interesting future. Such heavy handedness can only imply a greater agenda than that espoused so far (in other words, they have something to hide).

OC
    Last edited by Optima Collins; 18-12-10 at 07:53 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

The plot thickens!

Firstly, I believe that the original author(s) just wanted, justifiably given the situation, to protect their collective behind(s), particularly since you dragged them into a public forum. No dramas there.
    I agree, that's why I removed it. I probably shouldn't have posted it, but these sorts of emails from manufacturers, networks, customer reps, float around the forums all the time.

Secondly, I totally agree with you about Aurora, but the accountability changes. Whomever is calling the shots with VAST is using a different set of criteria. Just the fact that VAST is using tighter security/encryption alludes to that. This also forbodes a very interesting future. Such heavy handedness can only imply a greater agenda than that espoused so far (in other words, they have something to hide).

OC
    Perhaps they're legally not allowed to split the Remote Central licence area in two, and the less evidence there is the better? More importantly, who would know?

The other half of me is still suspecting a prank, however.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well, I've been given the go-ahead to add the region info back to the channel names. Stuff knows what happened?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

It's posted here and on Lyngsat so 'they' maybe decided it's not worth worrying about!

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Administrator
    Thanks

Well, I've been given the go-ahead to add the region info back to the channel names. Stuff knows what happened?
    They probably did the standard knee jerk reaction most make when being threatened and thats to remove what they asked. After thinking about it they probably realised what a crock of shit it was.