Thread: Setting up box/dish

Thanks

Default Setting up box/dish

Well purchased the vast box today up here in Alice Springs. The dish was setup on pas8 for selectv so attempted to re-align. Setup the analyzer to 12567 as per the box setup, just could not find the transponder.

Went hunting on austar for a transponder, no luck either. I have a spare dish and tried it on an austar, no luck. I've done this before and it isn't that hard !

What I wanted to know is how the box performs using the unbuilt signal detection meter ? Does the box respond quickly if i use it to align ?

Also when I do a satellite scan it sits there at 0 MHz and doesn't budge, has the Loc o/c frequency of 10700 but not the transponder frequent/fec/symb rate. Is this normal ?

I hope I'm not missing anything really basic here ? A dish on austar aka:c1 is all I need ?

Slightly frustrated .....Pete :-)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Yep, align the dish & LNB to C1/D3.

The UEC VAST box isn't very helpful for doing that.

It's best to use a satfinder and if you have another decoder which displays signal strength and quality, then use that inconjunction with a satfinder to tweak the dish/LNB.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

May need a bit of a tutorial for setting up a VAST stb for the 'Grey Nomad/Traveller' if this UEC doesnt have a setting up facility.
    And for the few that have self aligning dish's, will they work with the UEC VAST stb?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Going to take the STB and sat finder round to a friends place tonight who has Austar and see if we can get this thing to work. Once we haev at least a known alligned dish we can work backwards to why this thing doesnt work !

If needed I am going to post up something as to the value of using the internal signal strength meter for alligning the dish..

More to come

Pete in Alice

Thanks

G'day Pete,

I got mine up and running, now just waiting for registration to give me more channels.

I'm also about 80km from Alice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petez69 View Post
    Going to take the STB and sat finder round to a friends place tonight who has Austar and see if we can get this thing to work. Once we haev at least a known alligned dish we can work backwards to why this thing doesnt work !

If needed I am going to post up something as to the value of using the internal signal strength meter for alligning the dish..

More to come

Pete in Alice
    By the way Pete - have they got digital terrestrial in Alice yet, if so how many channels

Premium Member

Thanks

Petez69, when you try the UEC on the Austar dish, make sure the UEC is the only stb on the cable because VAST/Aurora is Vertical and much of Austar is Horizontal and the 2 are definately NOT compatible.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 21-12-10 at 02:20 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AJM View Post
    G'day Pete,

I got mine up and running, now just waiting for registration to give me more channels.

I'm also about 80km from Alice.
    AJM, good one. These boxes should be as tough as nails so I'd be surprised if it was faulty. Good on the install anyway :-)

ok on outside of Alice, which direction ?

Pete

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pc9 View Post
    By the way Pete - have they got digital terrestrial in Alice yet, if so how many channels
    We spoke to central comms yesterday, supposedly the digital transmitters from imparja are installed on West Mac, they are waiting to strengthen the tower before they can install the antennas.

Word is between Jan and March 2011 but who knows :-)

Pete

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Petez69, when you try the UEC on the Austar dish, make sure the UEC is the only stb on the cable because VAST/Aurora is Vertical and much of Austar is Horizontal and the 2 are definately NOT compatible.
    Hi Gordon

Thks for the info. He's got a new HD Austar box with 2 LNB feeds into the decoder. Not sure if one is fixed horz and other vertical or it can switch polarity. Infact dont know of loc osc is 11.3 or 10.7 so a bit of trial and error.

We're going to disconnect his box, plug into one feed, try the different loc osc freqs, if no go we try the other feed. If both fail I take the box back for a swap :-)

I'm also taking my alligner over to make sure it hasnt got a problem, its all EASY :-) I remember setting up the 1.5M dish for 701 at 20 degrees in Sydney , was easier to setup than this :-) :-) I must be forgetting things out here in the Alice :-)

Pete

Thanks

The 2 LNB feeds will automaticallt switch between Horizontal and Vertical. Both can be H or V what ever the decoder wants depending on the channel accessed. Austar have both H and V channels - but mostly H.

Hooking up one of them to the UEC should be all you need to do to test out the box.

Premium Member

Thanks

The Austar LNB will be 10700 for sure as are all Foxtell so set the UEC to suit. Any current Aurora dish's will most likely be on the old 11.300 which is what VAST is recommending to be used.
    If he only has ONE Mystar HD stb, then I think disconnecting either of the 2 cables and connectiing to the VAST stb should work for you.
    Can you post how you get on please?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    The Austar LNB will be 10700 for sure as are all Foxtell so set the UEC to suit. Any current Aurora dish's will most likely be on the old 11.300 which is what VAST is recommending to be used.
    If he only has ONE Mystar HD stb, then I think disconnecting either of the 2 cables and connectiing to the VAST stb should work for you.
    Can you post how you get on please?
    If you have to set the LNB in the UEC box to 10700 - make sure you reboot the box so it accepts the new settings.

Thanks

Hi guys, all sorted

1. Tested on the austar dish at friends place, worked immediately. Plugged in the sat finder, set to austar transponder, heaps of signal and good quality. Set finder to vast, no quality shown, this is weird however it could be due to the stream encoding which the finder can't decode.

2. Took to a friends house and spent time aligning the dish to c1, again probably a little more experience would have made it apparent that you need to be a little more gentle turning the dish.

3. Put alligner on dish at home and with some gentle prodding we found 12305mhz and tweaked for max quality. What we did find was that the LNB skew was way out, appears the previous installer had it wrong. I found this out by turning LNB and had a huge increase in quality.

What helped was putting box on a known system. I know now how the box performs on a boot ie: does the scan, first line on box says "signal found" and sits there for a few seconds and then shows 12448 and gets the bouquets.

We had the box on for around 10 minutes and it got the first firmware update. I've registered the smart card with vast and see if they do it before Christmas. Oh and the box has already locked up once already :-)
    Last edited by petez69; 21-12-10 at 09:17 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to petez69 For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (22-12-10)

Thanks

Pete,

I registered on Saturday and got the extra channels about midday today (Tuesday). So they're doing okay (less than 48 hours from a business day).

We're west of Alice.

You've obviously sorted your problems and you'll be getting your full bouquet before Christmas, I suspect.

cheers

Thanks

Registered my details on the website at 8:00pm last night, came home from work today and card activated. Noticed that not all of the EGPs have updated yet ie: GEM so see what happens in the next few days...

Was definately worth the $269 until we get digital terrestrial

Pete