Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Rest of Remote Australia?

Thanks

Found this at digitalready.gov

At least they have a date for applying for a hand out

Couldn't get pix to work but anyhow, People in self help tower area of remote wa can apply in nov 2012

Last edited by cpd; 12-01-11 at 01:06 PM. Reason: no image

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cpd For This Useful Post:

earlsdon (15-01-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Croady View Post
    I am in regional WA using Aurora and picked up a vast box and card in the city yesterday. I have fired off an application to see what comes of it. The box gives me all ABC and SBS channels Australia wide which is stated on the Mysattv web site. I'll be interested to see if any commercial channels pop up with the lodging of the activation application? I note WIN and GWN are listed on Lyngsat Vast reference so who knows what will happen.
    OK got an email back from the VAST yesterday and they will only activate ABC n SBS with the standard re apply six months prior to the cut over. It looks like Regional WA is still away off from the rest of the country.

Thank you for your application to receive VAST satellite television services.

ABC and SBS services will be enabled on your decoder in the next 48 hours.

Applications to receive commercial VAST services cannot be accepted until 6 months before the declared Analogue TV switch off date in your area. Please re-apply after that date.

If you wish to have this case reviewed, you may do so by contacting the Australian Communications and Media Authority at

• The Following User Says Thank You to Croady For This Useful Post:

cpd (16-01-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    The outcome interests me (and no doubt many others) as there has been no commencement date for WA announced yet.
    I guess they are still standing firm on the commencement date being the second half of 2013 in Regional WA. What I don't understand is that Sat covers the whole country, and as we speak is providing pics to the WA/NT and WA/SA boarder from that point it is ABC/SBS only. I also note that there is comment about the time frame being in the hands of the commercial providers and it would appear that any early switch on is at their discretion.

Thanks

Standing firm on saying nothing

Thanks

You really have to ask yourself about this logic. Why turn on vast ONLY within the 6 month window. If its up there, why the hell not turn it on....

This must be a legal issue which of course is devoid of comon sense. Why would they do anything that supported a potential customer ?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

I guess they are still standing firm on the commencement date being the second half of 2013 in Regional WA. What I don't understand is that Sat covers the whole country, and as we speak is providing pics to the WA/NT and WA/SA boarder from that point it is ABC/SBS only. I also note that there is comment about the time frame being in the hands of the commercial providers and it would appear that any early switch on is at their discretion.
    Maybe you could sell your box to someone on the other side of the border with a genuine aurora card, or maybe plan a trip to remote Central OZ & become a traveller
    Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Maybe you could sell your box to someone on the other side of the border with a genuine aurora card, or maybe plan a trip to remote Central OZ & become a traveller
    Cheers
    don't need to do any of that crap, easy enough to do it but what we want is the local (WA stuff).

It should have been openned up for all as of now and then use the final dates as to when it will shut off

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by efab View Post
    don't need to do any of that crap, easy enough to do it but what we want is the local (WA stuff).

It should have been openned up for all as of now and then use the final dates as to when it will shut off
    /\/\/\
    What he Said !!

Was that not what has happened east of the boarder? VAST was delivered well and truely prior to the 6 months deadline? Remote Central and Eastern Australia are listed the same as Regional and Remote WA being a switch over date of the second half of 2013, yet VAST has delivered to Remote Central and Eastern Australia some 2 1/2 years earlier than planned.
    Last edited by Croady; 17-01-11 at 09:32 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

It does seem unreasonable to hold to their projected timetable but there could be budgetary reason for the delay.
    One is the offered subsidy for some householders to help with the changeover and the other is payment to the Broadcasters to upgrade/install Digital transmitters.
    To stage the availabiity to each area means they can work at this in a fairly orderly manner whereas if it went OZ wide, they would need to increase staff in the short term to handle the applications and when its all done, they are left with a work force larger than needed to handle future applicants.
    Governments budget to do so much in so long a time which isnt great when your on the far end of the waiting list.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

tristen (18-01-11)

Thanks

Yesterday I took the time scribe an email to the four WA elected Government Senators seeking information as to when VAST would be available to Remote and Regional WA I will post their response.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    One is the offered subsidy for some householders to help with the changeover.
    I like the a major chunk of remote households who are currently using Aurora don't need an install so the subsidy means nothing. I already have the gear all I want is the pics.

Thanks

Yesterday I took the time scribe an email to the four WA elected Government Senators seeking information as to when VAST would be available to Remote and Regional WA I will post their response.
    Which ones? I'll have a bash at them too

Thanks

What's the point of putting GWN & WIN 16:9 up on VAST, then saying no-one can watch them for at least a couple of years?
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpd View Post
    Which ones? I'll have a bash at them too
    Glenn Sterle - senator.sterle@aph.gov.au
    Mark Bishop - senator.bishop@aph.gov.au
    Chris Evans - senator.evans@aph.gov.au
    Louise Pratt - senator.pratt@aph.gov.au

Thanks

Done
    Also emailed dbcde and the minister

Thanks

Anyone else notice the change to GWN's watermark?

Thanks

Yep Prime and GWN have "rebranded" to Prime7 and GWN7. This also meant getting rid of at lease one GWN department.

Things still moving at glacial speed re terrestrial digital in WA though.
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

This whole 6 months prior thing seems like bullsiht. We know the networks will want to save as much money as possible with terrestrial rollout in WA. We know that April/May is the scheduled date for Bunbury to switch on. We know Bunbury will have all 16 services from the day it switches on. There's only one, logical, budget friendly way to deliver all 9 commercial channels into WA...VAST. It's months away, IMO.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

You are absolutely right, the list of terestrial transmiters getting digital upgrades is shrinking. Why $
    The fact that VAST exists negates the need for upgrade of terestrial transmiters in low population areas.

Thanks

Bought a vast box in Perth today, and heard a rumour that Bunbury was going online at the end of January, heard that some test transmissons were carried out last month then the signal was shut off but all the gear is set up at the transmitter, fingers crossed
    At the same time I heard that Vast would become available in March, fingers and toes crossed

• Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast