Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Rest of Remote Australia?

Thanks

Default The Rest of Remote Australia?

Guy's some confirmation please. I live in remote regional WA and currently utilize Aurora for our FTA TV. I just need to get a somethings clear in my head which I would appreciate some guidence on.

1. On the 15 of Dec 2010 the whole eastern seaboard Regional/Remote through to the WA/NT and WA/SA boarders were switched on to AVAST?

2. WA Regional and Remote are scheduled for AVAST services 6 months prior to cut off in the second half of 2013.

So my question is will I have what 2 1/2 years from when the rest of the country receives DTV to when I can access it?

WA regional players are WIN and GWN which I would have thought as being no different from Southern Cross or Imarja but 2 1/2 years come on !!

Surprise me and tell me it's not so?

Croady

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Croady View Post
    Guy's some confirmation please. I live in remote regional WA and currently utilize Aurora for our FTA TV. I just need to get a somethings clear in my head which I would appreciate some guidence on.

1. On the 15 of Dec 2010 the whole eastern seaboard Regional/Remote through to the WA/NT and WA/SA boarders were switched on to AVAST?

2. WA Regional and Remote are scheduled for AVAST services 6 months prior to cut off in the second half of 2013.

So my question is will I have what 2 1/2 years from when the rest of the country receives DTV to when I can access it?

WA regional players are WIN and GWN which I would have thought as being no different from Southern Cross or Imarja but 2 1/2 years come on !!

Croady
    The WA VAST system hasn't been fully-determined yet, said to be early 2011.

It's just to do with licensing, as the network ownership is different to those providing the 'eastern' states/territories.

If you currently rely on Aurora in WA, the way it stands ATM, is that you'll get access to the new system as early as January.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

billy t (11-01-11),cpd (08-01-11)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

You have a Federal Member of Parliment so why not start lobbying as soon as the 'Silly Season' is over.
    Federal Parliment is on the thin edge of the wedge now and now might be a good time to stir the sitting members now should we be forced into a Federal election anytime soon.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

It's not so. Sort of.

Assuming WA will follow the same rules as Central/Eastern; If you live in an area which has terrestrial digital services nearby, yet you can't access them, you will need to wait 6 months prior to that area losing analog before you can apply for VAST.

However, if you're in the middle of nowhere, and won't be affected by an analog switch-off nearby, then you'll have access to VAST sooner (which at the moment is predicted to be January 2011).

But we don't know this for sure. WA is a different playing field. GWN and WIN are the only players, so the rules for satellite vs terrestrial have been much more relaxed here in the past. For all we know, they may allow anyone in WA with a non-Perth address access to VAST, just like they do now with Aurora. We really just have to wait and see, but if they do follow the same rules as the east, then it's not all doom and gloom for viewers such as yourself.
    Last edited by Smacca; 26-12-10 at 10:03 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

cpd (08-01-11)

Thanks

Anyone have any idea what happens to aurora subscribers , how long will they run the service after 2013?
    cheers

Thanks

According to if you are already an official Aurora subscriber you can convert to VAST regardless of where you live.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cpd View Post
    Anyone have any idea what happens to aurora subscribers , how long will they run the service after 2013?
    cheers
    If you have a read of Impaja's website, I read it that they will be concluding their service around the time the analog switchoff is completed.
    Although C7 had nothing about their service the last time I looked, I would be surprised if they dont finish up around that time too.
    As for the ABC/SBS, who knows but why would anyone want to cling to the Aurora service with its few channels when they can changeover to VAST with its greater program lineup?
    There is currently a Govt Subsidy for some sectors of the current Aurora viewers to asssist with replacement costs just the same as the Terrestial viewers.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

I can't see the govt continuing to pay for Aurora in addition to VAST after the analogue terrestrial shutoff in Australia is complete.

There may be a short transition period, but given VAST will be available to anyone that needs it, within 6 months prior to analogue terrestrial shutoff, I doubt Aurora will continue much after 31 December 2013.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Just imagine how many authorised UEC Irdeto 1 door stop receivers will be out there then?

Amazing how quick some thing becomes useless these days.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    Amazing how quick some thing becomes useless these days.
    Yep... like the current UEC VAST decoders, until they sort out the freezing/glitching issues.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpd View Post
    cheers
    From the digital ready web site
    "The Aurora service will continue until the digital switchover in the second half of 2013."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rodnic For This Useful Post:

cpd (09-01-11)

Thanks

Typical
    I hope reg wa gets vast sooner than later then
    What advice would you give someone living in reg wa, buy a box and card for a soon to be defunct aurora service, or wait a undetermined length of time for vast to become available?

It's bad enough waiting for gwn and win to go digital in non blackspot areas like bunbury, albany, kalgoorlie etc, but there are many west australians using a sat service because they have no option

to be advised
    to be determined
    I know that wa stands for, wait awhile, but whats the hold up?

Is it that, the powers that be don't really know how to make a command decision or is there a funding issue regarding installation of digital transmitters across the state?
    It's not like the matter has been sprung on them out of the blue

Either way the lack of information regarding the subject to the people that live in the area is bs

It's all pis5 poor

Thanks

Cpd if you go to the digital ready site you will see that it is not all doom and gloom for WA.

"What will happen if I have the RABS/Aurora satellite service in Central and Eastern Australia?

Viewers in remote central and eastern Australia who currently receive television services from the Aurora satellite service will be able to access the new VAST service now. In the majority of cases, viewers of the existing Aurora satellite services will be able to use their existing satellite dish. However some older dish installations may require modification. A VAST set top box and a smart card will be required to receive the new satellite service.
    Go to mySwitch on this website to apply for VAST.

The Aurora service will continue until the digital switchover in the second half of 2013.
    The VAST service will operate side by side with the Aurora service.

Unlike the existing Aurora remote satellite service, the VAST service will carry the full suite of free-to-air television channels.
    AREA DATE OF ACCESS TO VAST SERVICES*

Brisbane, Perth - signal deficient areas Available from 1 January 2013 - six months before switchover date of 30 June 2013

Western Australia Available from early 2011 (to be confirmed)

*Refer to mySwitch for switchover areas and for information about predicted digital TV coverage in your area."

As you can see you may be able to have access soon.

If you are a traveller you can get access now but in WA it will probably be eastern sates time for programs. I have heard a rumor that GWN and WIN are testing and as the digital ready site says may be online soon.

Thanks

soon, thats like tba, or tbc, or wait awhile, it won't happen overnight but.........
    What I'm annoyed about is that this is all that is said
    If myswitch came out and said vast for reg wa would be available from march 2012, and transmitters would start being rolled out at the same time (for example) I would be happier knowing that than some vague comments about the future
    They must know by now, surely

Thanks

I am in regional WA using Aurora and picked up a vast box and card in the city yesterday. I have fired off an application to see what comes of it. The box gives me all ABC and SBS channels Australia wide which is stated on the Mysattv web site. I'll be interested to see if any commercial channels pop up with the lodging of the activation application? I note WIN and GWN are listed on Lyngsat Vast reference so who knows what will happen.

Thanks

so is channel 10 in the guise of west digital

I fired off an email yesterday asking how long before i can get vast as I have a aurora sub and am waiting for a reply.

be interesting as to what they say
    Last edited by efab; 11-01-11 at 11:55 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks

I am in regional WA using Aurora and picked up a vast box and card in the city yesterday. I have fired off an application to see what comes of it.
    Did you do the application online, or mail it?

If online, was your address accepted for satellite?

The outcome interests me (and no doubt many others) as there has been no commencement date for WA announced yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by efab View Post
    so is channel 10 in the guise of west digital

I fired off an email yesterday asking how long before i can get vast as I have a aurora sub and am waiting for a reply.

be interesting as to what they say
    did the same this morning
    Got a reply pretty quickly with this title

"Out of Office: reg wa"

"Thank you for your email. We are currently experiencing a high volume of enquiries and will respond as soon as possible.
    For more information about the switch to digital TV and to find out when your area is scheduled to switchover, please visit .
    Alternatively you can call the information line on 1800 20 10 13.
    Please do not reply to this email.
    Kind regards
    Digital Switchover Taskforce"

then another straight away titled

"Digital Switchover Enquiry [UNCLASSIFIED]"

"Thank you for your email, we are currently experiencing a high volume of enquiries and will respond as soon as possible.

For more information about the switch to digital TV and to find out when your area is scheduled to switchover, please visit .

Alternatively you can call the information line on: 1800 20 10 13.

Please do not reply to this email.

Kind regards

Digital Switchover Taskforce"

unclassified??????

And no doubt that will be the end of it

I wonder what the taskforce consists of?

Administrator
    Thanks

Unclassified in relation to email, is usually just spam/virus checking.

The 'Digital Switchover Taskforce' is the organisation overseeing the analogue/digital 'switchover' in Australia.

They are automated replies and surprisingly, applicants will usually receive a further reply, particularly if the application has been denied or cannot proceed for some reason.

Some applicants have received a confirmation email advising access has been granted, but from what I've heard, most who are approved just start receiving channels.

That's how it's been happening so far in the eastern states, anyhow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Did you do the application online, or mail it?

If online, was your address accepted for satellite?

The outcome interests me (and no doubt many others) as there has been no commencement date for WA announced yet.
    I did the application online and I am in a VAST gazetted area.

• Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast