Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ticking sounds from AC3 output ?

Thanks

Default Ticking sounds from AC3 output ?

Hi ALL

I've got the UEC plugged into the AMP via Optical and set the output to AC3. On SCTV I get a low level of ticking bursts every 10-20 seconds..its just a burst in the background, is anyone else getting this ?

if not I might take it back and get it swapped....

Ta Pete

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petez69 View Post
    Hi ALL

I've got the UEC plugged into the AMP via Optical and set the output to AC3. On SCTV I get a low level of ticking bursts every 10-20 seconds..its just a burst in the background, is anyone else getting this ?

Ta Pete
    Yep - mine starts clicking when I go to the channel list and change. Also clicks randomly during freeze (amongst all the other problems). The UEC box is a real piece of crap.

Anybody interested in petitioning VAST to free up their video encryption to allow the card to read by third party boxes?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

[/QUOTE] Anybody interested in petitioning VAST to free up their video encryption to allow the card to read by third party boxes?[/QUOTE]

Not only does that sound a good idea, why not directly petition your local Federal member as well, particulary those in Rural electorates ???

With the current Federal Parliment balanced on a knife edge, those like me who have National Party or Liberal sitting Members may want to 'Stick it' the ruling party to make political points now or if we end up having to go to polls again in the near future.

PS. Dont forget those Independants either.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 02-01-11 at 01:17 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

The piece of junk has been sitting there rebooting for most of the day....Unbelieveable...it goes back tomorrow

Thanks

The piece of junk has been sitting there rebooting for most of the day....Unbelieveable...it goes back tomorrow
    Go to this thread

It explains how to fix the rebooting problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by earlsdon View Post
    Go to this thread

It explains how to fix the rebooting problem.
    Swap out the LNB ? It's already a 10700 that came with the austar setup. I think it's coincidental some folks have seen a change after swapping, I don't see a good technical reason for it however I'm always open to understanding why :-)

The box goes from DL, boot to purple background on tv without any messages to DL..constantly. I've turned it off for now

It's powered a dream box and nokia dbox for years without any issue..

The box is junk however it's the only option for now

Pete
    Last edited by petez69; 02-01-11 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks

Swap out the LNB ? It's already a 10700 that came with the austar setup. I think it's coincidental some folks have seen a change after swapping, I don't see a good technical reason for it however I'm always open to understanding why :-)

The box goes from DL, boot to purple background on tv without any messages to DL..constantly. I've turned it off for now

It's powered a dream box and nokia dbox for years without any issue..

The box is junk however it's the only option for now

Pete
    Prior to and after my card was enabled for the commercial channels - - the box was unable to download the latest firmware - it just kept rebooting every hour until I changed the LNB.

Has your card been enabled for you, if not it could also be rebooting until it gets a hit to enable the commercial services or a hit to officially access the ABC/SBS? (that is - as against being able to access the ABC/SBS as all cards can when first plugged in) - The hit also sets the bouquet to the authorised service.

When the card is officially enabled the box will automaitically download the latest firmware and you will only have one bouquet - - this also seems to stop the rebooting. However, if you have the correct LNB (and it is setup correctly) and the card authorised - I would not have a clue.

Yes. the UEC box is close to junk - but so far it is the only box that will work on the VAST service, or in your case at present, almost work..
    Last edited by earlsdon; 02-01-11 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks

Hi There

Ok, I've disconnected the LNB and there is definately a problem with the box, suspect its got corrupt formware. Its switching from "DL" to the rolling bar in the display, goes blank and then says boot....and back to DL....

I remember when i first got it I sat it on the floor and played with the internal menus without an LNB connected.

Oh well I hope Central Comms still have lots of stock :-)

Pete

Thanks

Hi There

Ok, I've disconnected the LNB and there is definately a problem with the box, suspect its got corrupt formware. Its switching from "DL" to the rolling bar in the display, goes blank and then says boot....and back to DL....

I remember when i first got it I sat it on the floor and played with the internal menus without an LNB connected.

Oh well I hope Central Comms still have lots of stock :-)

Pete
    these problems are more widespread than a lot of us realise. Have been making contact with a lot of mates in remote nth aust who have purchased the box (most of whom are ex Aurora subscribes) and to a man, they have experienced problems, ranging from minor to the type of issues Pete has experienced.

I am going to write to the Digital switchover mob, VAST, the Minister and who ever else. Don't expect much joy, however if a few more could do same, we might get some where in terms of third party receiver authorisation.

Thanks

New box installed today, I get the very light ticking sound every 10 seconds for about 1 sec on SCTV North. The box is set to AC3 and I'm using both optical out (toslink) and the RCAs....get teh same ticking.

Anyone else get this, could someone try ? This is exactly the same as the box that died on me

Pete

Thanks

New box installed today, I get the very light ticking sound every 10 seconds for about 1 sec on SCTV North. The box is set to AC3 and I'm using both optical out (toslink) and the RCAs....get teh same ticking.

Anyone else get this, could someone try ? This is exactly the same as the box that died on me

Pete
    Yep - same on my two boxes. Bloody hopeless. Also, mate up on the Cape (York) getting same problem. Seems to be worse on commercial channels but got a big episode of it on SBS HD last night.

• The Following User Says Thank You to pc9 For This Useful Post:

petez69 (06-01-11)

Thanks

I can confirm I also have ticking sound all the time. Does not seem to matter what channel.

Also the freezing during the cricket was a real pain.

• The Following User Says Thank You to earlsdon For This Useful Post:

petez69 (06-01-11)

Thanks

Guys

Thanks heaps for the feedback....glad its just not me...I only noticed the ticking on SCTV last night, GO and GEM were fine....and we had quite a few freezes...

Otherwise we're back on the air. VAST folks activated the box in a few hours which was nice....

Cheers..pete

Thanks

been playing around with my boxes and don't the ticking on any channel
    same with any of the others I have setup.
    setups are a mix of RCA and HDMI connections

Thanks

SCTV north....frikkin ticking noises.....no other channel....seriously poor...

Pete

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

SCTV north....frikkin ticking noises.....no other channel....seriously poor...

Pete
    Still waiting for my optical cable to arrive in post.
    Have been a bit worried about the ticking problem, you describe, so borrowed the coax cable from DVD player & watched, listened very carefully, played around with settings, no ticking sound on SCTV South or any other channel, sorry dont get North.

Did notice though that when VAST box set to AC3, there is no sound output via HDMI to TV on channels 1, 24, 70 & 90 even though there is Dolby digital sound output to Surround sound receiver via coax? Not that it's a problem, don't need both sound outputs, as would normally mute TV when surround sound system is on anyway.
    All other channels have sound at both outputs.
    My surround receiver indicates that 1, 24, 70 & 90 are infact Dolby digital sound, the other channels are Linear PCM no matter if the VAST box is set to AC3 or PCM.
    Sound is consistant at all times on RCA conections to Hard drive recorder.

Hope you get your sound sorted out Pete
    BTW thanks for sharing your adventure with Retailer. ROFL
    Last edited by Tiny; 07-01-11 at 11:52 AM.

Thanks

Tiny

Thanks for the feedback. See how this one pans out with the ticking noise, as mentioned the other box did it too but as yet none of my friends have bothered with a box in town.

This box has developed something new, to be honest I flashed the firmware in the TV last week and have noticed that the screen goes blank occasionaly yet I keep getting the channels audio. There is still some sort of signal as the TV doesnt go into power saver mode. To fix I have to hit the reset button on the VAST box...So I dont know if its the TV or the Box that has the issue....

Oh well, more debugging to be done :-)

Cheers..pete

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Hi Pete

just a thought, you don't happen to have an electric fence, an inverter or a generator nearby that may have earthing problems which can create electromagnetic & Radio Frequency interferance. It could explain the ticking sound & possibly the reception problems?

Of course I'm no expert & could be way of the track.
    However had simaler problems a long time ago when I first set up my property, ticking thru radio & TV. When I sorted out the earthing problems with the electric fence it all disappeared.

Thanks

Hi ALL

Ta Pete
    I've got it happening on channel 11. No others channels affected,has anyone come up with a fix, does optical do the trick?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steveandnadine View Post
    I've got it happening on channel 11. No others channels affected,has anyone come up with a fix, does optical do the trick?
    Steve

interesting you have it on 11, I dont have it there... Mine is consistantly on SCTV North....exactly doing what the other one did before it died....

Pete

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast