Thread: Rebbot loop of death, UEC box

Thanks

Default Rebbot loop of death, UEC box

The UEC box spent most of its day just constantly rebooting. With the box just sitting on the floor in the menu, with no dish connected, it just decides to reboot while in the setup menu...well this is just constant over and over and over...

Poo always happens over the weekend when the shops are shut...

Pete

Look Here ->

Thanks

if it did it while not connected that could explain the problem.
    had one yesterday that needed a hit because it had been powered down at the wall for the last 1 1/2 weeks and it was doing some weird stuff
    had a hit again and 2 min later working fine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by efab View Post
    if it did it while not connected that could explain the problem.
    had one yesterday that needed a hit because it had been powered down at the wall for the last 1 1/2 weeks and it was doing some weird stuff
    had a hit again and 2 min later working fine
    efab

I left the box off for 24 hours....started ok, did its DL business...ran for 2 hours and then went into an endless DL-boot loop again...Drove past Central Comms yesterday arvo, they still haev a huge stack at the front door so hopefully getting it swapped will be easy :-)

Pete

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I am not sure what your Consumer laws are (State) or if Federal Law applies but so long as you have the receipt you should have no problems replacing it.
    Unfortunately its no good getting a refund because currently there is no other option but to use the UEC made stb so let's hope your stb's rebooting is a 'One Off' isolated problem confined to just that one.
    Although if enough go bad and customers return them and that upsets the Retailers, we might see a change in availabilty and card/box options.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 04-01-11 at 04:05 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I am not sure what your Consumer laws are (State) or if Federal Law applies but so long as you have the receipt you should have no problems replacing it.
    Unfortunately its no good getting a refund because currently there is no other option but to use the UEC made stb so let's hope your stb's rebooting is a 'One Off' isolated problem confined to just that one.
    Although if enough go bad and customers return them and that upsets the Retailers, we might see a change in availabilty and card/box options.
    Gordon

Wife took the box back to Central Comms today and it was a very interesting experience

1) Unable to swap box on the spot, they had to wait for a return call from UEC
    2) They put the box on the bench, definately in a permanent reboot loop.
    3) They wouldnt swap the box on the spot because "they would be out $269", they had to wait for UEC
    4) According to them, they have sold 200 boxes with NO failures or complaints
    5) UEC called them, there are no serviceable field items, box was to be replaced
    6) Plugged in replacement box this afternoon, screen popped up that "the service is disabled, contact your service center". Means the 60 day trial or whatever must have been set to the 31st Dec..
    7) Tried to register the box online, kept getting the registration page coming back with absolutely no feedback as to whats wrong..Tried to register at next doors address, no change... Will have to call them tomorrow.

So I'm 1 in 200 according to the retailer, lovely :-)

Pete

p.s box left on for 20 mins, SBS and ABC come to life...even after the pop up box said the service was disabled...Here comes the key update... :-)
    Last edited by petez69; 04-01-11 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks

I received my receiver on Friday where it worked alright. Have all channels and all and worked fine until Sunday where the box would reboot randomly and freeze... I thought that it might have been overheating as it was a rather hot day and the box would almost burn you if you touched it.

If I keep resetting the box enough, it eventually boots normally, but then goes back into the loop randomly which could be anywhere between 1 minute and 2 hours... But it doesn't seem to loop; Just reboots and sits on "boot" with nothing on the screen...

After trying to watch tv on it this afternoon, I got fed up with it and switched it off after trying to reset it for half an hour... This whole thing is very random

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bemboka View Post
    I received my receiver on Friday where it worked alright. Have all channels and all and worked fine until Sunday where the box would reboot randomly and freeze... I thought that it might have been overheating as it was a rather hot day and the box would almost burn you if you touched it.

If I keep resetting the box enough, it eventually boots normally, but then goes back into the loop randomly which could be anywhere between 1 minute and 2 hours... But it doesn't seem to loop; Just reboots and sits on "boot" with nothing on the screen...

After trying to watch tv on it this afternoon, I got fed up with it and switched it off after trying to reset it for half an hour... This whole thing is very random
    apparently their is update software on uec's website which you can update via a usb stick

Thanks

Nice to see I'm not the only one with a rebooting box. :-) Now if the firmware update can fix the frikkin ticking sound I'd be happy :-) Picture freezes are a pain in the a$$, we're watching a comedy show and twice its frozen at the punchline :-)

Pete

Thanks

thats not funny!

Premium Member

Thanks

Petez69,
    At a wild guess I would think that you would have to apply for a NEW authorisation just for THAT stb which is going to be a time wasting exercise.
    As I said I dont know the State/Federal Laws for you regarding returns except that if it doesnt live up to the Warranty given, you have redress.
    Also if you werent informed of the requirement to get a 'Return Call Number' at the point of sale as some manufacturers require, I dont give a stuff about the Retailers out of Pocket claims, I would demand a replacement.
    I had a Vacuum clearner die under warranty, called the service centre, got the number and back it went but this was clearly stated on the enclosed warranty card with the Vac.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 18-01-11 at 11:29 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

I just talked to the bloke that sold me mine.

He told me to ring UEC myself...

Doesn't look like he's going to give any support for the crapping box.

Premium Member

Thanks

In another post there is a link to the ACCC or ring your Fair Trading Dept but I think the Retailer does have a responsibilty to offer support on any items they sell for a period after the sale.
    Then theres always the option to return to the store with the STB and if you get no satisfaction, you can make a bit of a show by loudly stating your opinion of the lack of service/support, better with a few customers present and tell them you wont shop there again and if anyone asks you will very happily tell them of your experiences dealing with that Retailer.