Thread: Skype & 1300 numbers

Thanks

Default Skype & 1300 numbers

hey dudes
    got a naked dsl connection now and have payed for a skype landlines australia subscription but i am finding it a right royal pain in the ass that it dosnt cover 1300 numbers, arnt they free calls anyway?
    anyone know a way of calling these with skype without a different type of subscription?
    i should add, this is the case with any number starting with 13
    Last edited by osiris777; 06-01-11 at 11:27 AM.
    ...In Somnis Veritas...

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by osiris777 View Post
    hey dudes
    got a naked dsl connection now and have payed for a skype landlines australia subscription but i am finding it a right royal pain in the ass that it dosnt cover 1300 numbers, arnt they free calls anyway?
    Umm no:

How much do 1300 numbers cost to call?
    1300 numbers can enable callers contact your business for just the price of a local call.

anyone know a way of calling these with skype without a different type of subscription?
    i should add, this is the case with any number starting with 13
    I think the main problem with 13 numbers (in my opinion) is that they can be geographic in nature, i.e. Dominos Pizza has same number, but you will ring the local store. If I was able to do this via voip, I would most likely get a store 450km away, as voip number is not defined necessarily to a certain area as perhaps the older traditional pstn is.

One possible workaround - due to being naked - is to source the local number for the 13 number!

Sorry I have not provided anything more productive, as had a look at the skype site and can't seem to mine the info I am after
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Thanks

Skype is an expensive way to call 1300 as they are timed and require credit in your account. You are better of combining a MNF Whirlpool saver plan for 5 buks per month which includes 60 free calls and .25c per call for 1300. A really good value plan, check it out on the MNF site.

Thanks

I don't do any video calls so I use Pennytel for me 25c for 1300, 8c for normal calls to landlines in australia and 10.5c\min for moblies.

Thanks

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought only the 1800 numbers were free,
    1300 numbers are still at a cost, I think it's charged at a local cost from anywhere around Aus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thatslife View Post
    Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought only the 1800 numbers were free,
    1300 numbers are still at a cost, I think it's charged at a local cost from anywhere around Aus
    Yep

Thanks

they just dont connect with the skype subscription i have and after a few weeks of it i am finding almost every call i need to make is to either a 13 or 1300 number so skype is becoming friggin useless.
    why the hell cant businesses just list a local number as well ffs.
    ...In Somnis Veritas...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by osiris777 View Post
    they just dont connect with the skype subscription i have and after a few weeks of it i am finding almost every call i need to make is to either a 13 or 1300 number so skype is becoming friggin useless.
    why the hell cant businesses just list a local number as well ffs.
    Thats a great point and this is the reason I always obtain the normal trunk number when using Skype for voice services. I have managed between a $7.00 per mth Skype sub and MNF $5.00 Sub to drop my voice service to a very cheap communication investment for home use. I have not gone down the pathe of naked dsl and have retained my Telstra fixed line service as a fall back.

For interested members, here is my communication costs breakdown

Telstra line rental $22.00
    BigPond 50 gigs $50.00
    Skype $ 7.00
    MNF $ 5.00

Per Mth Total $ 84.00 plus any random cell and 1300 numbers which are not covered. MNF voip includes 2 lines on the 2102 plus fax capability.

Mobile is not a sub service I use pre pay. I do all my calls from a Maccas hotspot or any available network. Works a treat using Skype or my MyNetFone softphone installed on my netbook.
    Last edited by Jack Frost; 18-01-11 at 08:58 PM. Reason: schpelling mistakes