Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traveller channels

Thanks

Default Traveller channels

Has anyone activated a VAST box as a traveller? Just wondering what channels they gave you/bouquets you have.

Cheers
    Daz

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Cool

Currently have a caravan based in Tasmania with Vast box enabled by Travellers temperary reception certificate, as my current postal address is Tas, have Tas bouquet.
    OneHD
    ABC1,2,3 & 24 Tas versions
    SBS1,2 & HD Tas versions
    Seven Central South
    Imparja South
    Ten Central South
    Eleven South
    7mate
    7Two
    Gem
    Go
    All other states ABC's & SBS plus a heap of regional news channels.
    That about covers it.

It's cool that they have finally allowed us to receive these channels as where the van is currently based has no terestrial reception.
    I just hope that they can sort out the picture freeze & EPG glitches.

Thanks

My home address is Toowoomba Qld and have Qld bouquet, all channels.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I must say I find it bloody ridiculous to be a 'Traveler' and have your home area bouquet as the main service when your 'Doing a Leyland Bros' in the Simpson Desert and your local Fishmonger has a 5 cent sale on Jellied Eels legs which I am totaly sure you will 'Fold Your tent' and race back to take advantage of the sale.

In this case wouldnt you rather have an ad saying there is Good Cold Beer available by the Billabong for all comers????
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I must say I find it bloody ridiculous to be a 'Traveler' and have your home area bouquet as the main service when your 'Doing a Leyland Bros' in the Simpson Desert and your local Fishmonger has a 5 cent sale on Jellied Eels legs which I am totaly sure you will 'Fold Your tent' and race back to take advantage of the sale.

In this case wouldnt you rather have an ad saying there is Good Cold Beer available by the Billabong for all comers????
    Agree with you there gordon, you would think they would give you channels for the area you are going to ( so you can see local news and weather....might be nice to know if you are about to be flooded or sucked in to a cyclone )

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,224 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Agree with you there gordon, you would think they would give you channels for the area you are going to ( so you can see local news and weather....might be nice to know if you are about to be flooded or sucked in to a cyclone )
    But if he has all ABC's and SBS's then he could get that info, or did I read his post wrong?
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    But if he has all ABC's and SBS's then he could get that info, or did I read his post wrong?
    Your absolutely right Al, have all states ABC's & SBS.

If I was currently travelling in NT I would have put a C/- Post Office Allice Springs postal address on the application form, which would have enabled NT bouquet, giving local adds.

So its all good in that respect & as I have to reapply every six months (no fees) I can change postal address, which I assume would change bouquet ( don't quote me on this I may be wrong), they dont actually ask for a home address.
    Cheers,

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    No , I think I read his post wrong

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Exclamation

Just incase a few lost travellers venture to this forum I'm posting the travellers access application form link & some other useful info.

View travellers application at

For decoders & dishes do a search for VAST Satellite Tv & you will come up with several places to buy from, some will send equipment to Post office or caravan park addresses, some won't.
    Some allso have helpful setup info & accessories.
    One that I know of offer to fill in the form for you & do your reapplications while your in Nomad land.

Cheers All, happy travelling.
    Last edited by Tiny; 13-01-11 at 06:58 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

No Sanity you did NOT read my posting wrong, I said ADVERTISING and neither ABC/SBS advertise Jellied Eels Legs that I know of.
    Now to be honest I really forgot about the ABC/SBS all state coverage but basicaly apart from the weather/local news their programing is the same OZ wide.
    Not only do the comercial channels carry product advertising but at times promotional ads for events or attractions in their general coverage area which just might be of interest to the Tourist/traveler.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Gordon, you may not be aware if you don't get VAST, that the only real difference between North & South commercial channels is time shift to allow for daylight savings in the east.
    The News & advertising is really kind of generic, some add breaks just have scenes of OZ bush & wildlife. Not realy jellied eels legs or cold beer type advertising. More Hardley Normal type stuff.

Not that I care what adds we get, it's programme content that's important.

So it doesn't matter that much which bouquet you get, as said before, we get access to all the states news content via ABC, SBS & regional specific News channels exclusive to VAST.

Hope that clears things up

Cheers.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (14-01-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks Tiny and no I havent got a VAST stb yet but what you say partly reinforces my objections I made ages ago regarding this stupid 'Zoning' when a large part of the advertising is done by the majors like Bunnings,Coles/Woolworths/Toyota etc and very little 'Local' companies.

You are however right on the money regarding the availabilty of programming now at last for those outside terrestial transmitter range.
    I am glad you used the word 'Content' rather than 'Quality' as they are all very sadly lacking in that department.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 14-01-11 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks

large part of the advertising is done by the majors like Bunnings,Coles/Woolworths/Toyota etc and very little 'Local' companies.
    I think most Alice Springs residents would LOVE a Bunnings :-) Not sure if they will ever see one here :-)

Pete

Thanks

Question

Are there any TRAVELLERS out there from WA that used their WA home address to apply for access to VAST If so what bouquet did they give you.

Premium Member

Thanks

I now have access to VAST (NSW South although I am in the Central Tablelands/West)and the ads and news I am currently seeing very heavily favour Qld and Vic so far.
    TEN's 5pm news was almost totaly Melbourne oriented the other night and while interesting, isnt what I want to see.
    Its early days yet and NSW doesnt start untill January 2012 so I can wait and hope those '400' News Channels will take the News that concerns me.
    I did find my local News on 420 about 2 hours after the local screening.
    I hope one day there will be an EPG for these channels so we can see what we want and when its on.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 27-01-11 at 02:40 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Its early days yet and NSW doesnt start untill January 2012 so I can wait and hope those '400' News Channels will take the News that concerns me.
    I did find my local News on 420 about 2 hours after the local screening.
    I hope one day there will be an EPG for these channels so we can see what we want and when its on.
    I'll 2nd that

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rodnic View Post
    Are there any TRAVELLERS out there from WA that used their WA home address to apply for access to VAST If so what bouquet did they give you.
    I'm a traveler from WA and I used my WA address when I completed the online form. I did add the comment (on the form) that we are currently in Victoria. We've only had the stb for two days and am still getting familiar with it. However it appears we have the Victorian bouquet. Channel 2 is ABC1 Vic and Channel 3 is SBS1 Vic and the others seem to default to Vic. All other available channels appear to be activated.

Cheers,
    Ralph

• The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph199 For This Useful Post:

mtv (24-03-11)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph199 View Post
    I'm a traveler from WA and I used my WA address when I completed the online form. I did add the comment (on the form) that we are currently in Victoria. We've only had the stb for two days and am still getting familiar with it. However it appears we have the Victorian bouquet. Channel 2 is ABC1 Vic and Channel 3 is SBS1 Vic and the others seem to default to Vic. All other available channels appear to be activated.

Cheers,
    Ralph
    Thanks for the info Ralph.

It appears travellers are allocated the bouquet relevant to the area they are 'travelling' in, which makes sense.

The interesting thing would be if you travel north, if you contact VAST, will they change the bouquet to the northern area.

ATM, I don't see VAST providing a WA bouquet, as it's not fully-operational. eg: only ABC/SBS, but given that VAST will make ABC/SBS available to anyone anywhere, they may activate a smartcard for WA residents/travellers.

Thanks

If your traveling to the eastern states and more interested in watching the AFL than the NRL, is there a particular state you should be selecting over another?

Cheers
    DM600 & 85cm Motorised Dish

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rewstar View Post
    If your traveling to the eastern states and more interested in watching the AFL than the NRL, is there a particular state you should be selecting over another?

Cheers
    There only appears to be 2 eastern zones, north and south. North is based on Qld and south a mix of the southern states. The Vast guide is here
    Looking at Qld for Frid 9Mar there is NRL at 1930 but on NSW, Vic and Tas there is a movie and NRL not on til 2330. Don't know what happens when AFL starts.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rodnic For This Useful Post:

rewstar (04-03-12)

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast