Thread: Digital TV - WA Regional

Thanks

Angry Digital TV - WA Regional

Surprise, surprise.. another delay.

This time they are blaming the federal government.

"The December roll-out date was the latest in a series of missed deadlines which began in 2007.

Most of the delays have been attributed by the stations to the Federal Government introducing new laws for licence approvals and conditions.

Broadcasters are reluctant to set a new timetable, but it would be at least another six months said WIN Group legal regulator and network affairs manager Shirley Brown.

“I know it is another delay for viewers, but at the end of the day they will get all channels,” she said.

Besides their own dedicated digital channels, WIN will bring Go! and Gem, GWN will bring 7mate and 7Two.

Ten West will broadcast Channel 10, plus Eleven and One.

Analogue broadcasts will continue until the network is switched off by 2013.

The overall investment for the three networks would be about $20m, with the Federal Government to pick up about half of the costs. "
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Default Still Not All

That still isn't all the channels. Where are the standard 9 and 7?

Seems they have a difficulty with the language. All means ALL!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I think you will find the so called base or prime channels ie 7,9 and 10 are part of each channels bouquet.
    For example you get 10 SD, ONEHD and ELEVEN, but LCN means this is shown as 5, 50 and 55
    on the 9 affiliate you get 9SD on 8,GEM is 80, GO! is 88
    7 shows on 6,60&61,7TWO is 62 and 7MATE is on 63.
    I have no idea why we have 3 SD prime 'channels' showing identical programs.
    So I dont think you'll miss out on anything as where the translator is already Digital they run the basic SD channel and if it needs upgrading as it appears many do, they have promised to add the 'extra's as they update the equipment.
    Like everything else, the proof will be in the pudding.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    where the translator is already Digital they run the basic SD channel and if it needs upgrading
    There is not really any commercial digital tv in regional WA, except for a few small test transmitters.

They were going to roll out GWN & WIN, then really became easier to wait as new channels like Go! were being launched.
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bambbbam View Post
    There is not really any commercial digital tv in regional WA, except for a few small test transmitters.

They were going to roll out GWN & WIN, then really became easier to wait as new channels like Go! were being launched.
    My wife's grandparents live in Corrigin and they recieve win/gwn/sbs/abc on digital however my inlaws live in Busselton and only get abc/sbs on digital. Ten west was suppose to start by December 31st but they are still waiting

Thanks

And that 'Dec 31' date is the deadline whizzing by in the article, so at least another 6 months it sounds like.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dazzaau View Post
    My wife's grandparents live in Corrigin and they recieve win/gwn/sbs/abc on digital however my inlaws live in Busselton and only get abc/sbs on digital. Ten west was suppose to start by December 31st but they are still waiting
    The grandparents should also have Ten West from the Mawson transmitter. You should do a rescan of their reciever.
    Ten West has been on the air for a few months now.

Thanks

Sorry I forgot to add Ten West the list in corrigin, they do get it However the inlaws in busselton dont

Thanks

Mt Lennard which covers the Bunbury Busselton area for TV and FM radio should have the commercials in digital by the end of 2011.
    Last edited by dryfry; 18-01-11 at 09:00 PM. Reason: i put the same link in as bammbam did earlier

Thanks

has something changed?
    I am in Bunbury and the last couple of days I have been able to pickup 7,9 &10 digital as well as ONEHD all with a very strong signal quality. It is as strong if not stronger than the normal abc and sbs I was already receiving in digital. Last week these new channels were not scannable at all.
    Is it weather conditions or have they given us some metro channels a little earlier than planned? I have scanned the net and found nothing to suggest this has happened.

Thanks

false alarm..got up this morning and ONEHD is gone...drats..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dogknees View Post
    That still isn't all the channels. Where are the standard 9 and 7?

Seems they have a difficulty with the language. All means ALL!
    You already get the Seven and Nine equivalents in your area - GWN and WIN.
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?".

Member 23402 - an asset of NSW.

Thanks

Wink

These aren't the same channels. Content is different. So, they still need to supply the standard 7 and 9 channels to be providing ALL the channels available in the city.

Note, it's not "my area", but I do know people living there who are waiting for these services to go up.

Quote Originally Posted by cpandilo View Post
    You already get the Seven and Nine equivalents in your area - GWN and WIN.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

This is where channel ID is confusing.
    SC or Southern Cross still broadcast programs from channel 7 on Aurora but SC appears to be the carrier for the 10 network both Terrestial and VAST.
    Capitol now appears to have been dropped as a name for the TEN network in my area.
    Prime appears to be the basic carrier for the Seven network except where their not and then you get WIN/NBN/Imparja doing the Nine network and now for the WA part of the country you have GWN doing the Seven network and WIN doing Nine.

Throw in the LCN ie Logic Channel Numbering of 2,3,5,6,8 etc which except for the old ABC of Channel 2 days, the rest are out of order and now we have VAST is using the 2,7,9,10 sequence.
    It will sort itself out in time by the us the users adopting either the Broadcasters name or the channel numbers you see the program on.
    Obviously if you wanted to take on a Broadcast TV licence the company name really doesnt matter but I wonder if there has been some 'Name' exchanges between the Broadcasters to unify the situation.
    In my area what was just plain old Prime is now 7Prime, something like their 3rd name change over the years.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 02-02-11 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nurzo View Post
    false alarm..got up this morning and ONEHD is gone...drats..
    What frequencies did your tuner get them on. if it was VHF it was from Perth thanks to the weather.

Thanks

Yep Tropo has been quite strong lately..

Thanks

Just forget the old numbering ever existed and stop trying to fit the new arrangement into the old numbers. It's far less confusing if you make a clean break.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    This is where channel ID is confusing.
    SC or Southern Cross still broadcast programs from channel 7 on Aurora but SC appears to be the carrier for the 10 network both Terrestial and VAST.
    Capitol now appears to have been dropped as a name for the TEN network in my area.
    Prime appears to be the basic carrier for the Seven network except where their not and then you get WIN/NBN/Imparja doing the Nine network and now for the WA part of the country you have GWN doing the Seven network and WIN doing Nine.
    Obviously if you wanted to be the TV Broadcast licence holder whene
    Throw in the LCN ie Logic Channel Numbering of 2,3,5,6,8 etc which except for the old ABC of Channel 2 days, the rest are out of order and now we have VAST is using the 2,7,9,10 sequence.
    It will sort itself out in time by the us the users adopting either the Broadcasters name or the channel numbers you see the program on.
    Obviously if you wanted to take on a Broadcast TV licence the company name really doesnt matter but I wonder if there has been some 'Name' exchanges between the Broadcasters to unify the situation.
    In my area what was just plain old Prime is now 7Prime, something like their 3rd name change over the years.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Those single digit LCN's are only there to help the poor old geriatrics who are confused about digital. "Oh Beryl, I can't find Auntie, channel 2 doesn't work!" Stuff 'em I say. I hate the duplication. Gone are the days of remembering channels by their single digit anyway. I always use double digits when sorting and that's it. IE;

21. ABC1
    22. ABC2, etc...

71. 7
    72. 7TWO, etc...

Thanks

Thumbs up

I've gone a step beyond that. Mine are set up on sequential numbers from 1 to 16. ABC.... 7.... 9.... 10 11 one sbs 1 sbs2

No relationship to the "channel" numbers at all. As I mostly surf by going up and down the channels, this works fine and I've removed all the duplicates as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    Those single digit LCN's are only there to help the poor old geriatrics who are confused about digital. "Oh Beryl, I can't find Auntie, channel 2 doesn't work!" Stuff 'em I say. I hate the duplication. Gone are the days of remembering channels by their single digit anyway. I always use double digits when sorting and that's it. IE;

21. ABC1
    22. ABC2, etc...

71. 7
    72. 7TWO, etc...