Thread: Warranty Requirements on the UEC ?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Warranty Requirements on the UEC ?

Petez in another posting took back a UEC stb for replacement and said the Retailer had to contact UEC??? for a 'Return Number' as they wouldnt replace it over the counter unless they had this 'Number'.

I havent seen a Vast UEC so what does it say on the warranty that (should) come with the STB regarding any claims?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 18-01-11 at 11:39 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Petez in another posting took back a UEC stb for replacement and said the Retailer had to contact UEC??? for a 'Return Number' as they wouldnt replace it over the counter unless they had this 'Number'.

I havent seen a Vast UEC so what does it say on the warranty that (should) come with the STB regarding any claims?
    I have not read the Warranty card in the box, however, if somwone does return a box under warranty and it turns out nothing is wrong with it. the reseller can not resell the box due to the fact it is registered the original owner. So I guess this is why they need a RA number so they can return it to UEC and then get them to check it over. and it is then up to them to repair or replace.

Premium Member

Thanks

Usually if you return an item for repairs and there's nothing wrong with the item, you can end up being charged for the testing but I wanted to know what the warranty card says as to how long the warranty is for ,ie 12 months, and one retailer is advertising on EBay a '14 day Return' (you pay return postage) but what happens after the 14 Days elapses? and you have a problem?
    This is one of the 2 problems with having a married card to stb, which is at fault ?

Also as you point out Strada, that defective stb is registered in YOUR name which at the moment doesnt matter but one day they might ask why you have XYZ number of STB's in your name. Unlikely but it could happen.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

The ACCC has a simple explanation of warranty of purchases and consumer rights --
    Last edited by earlsdon; 19-01-11 at 02:25 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to earlsdon For This Useful Post:

bambbbam (20-01-11)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Hi Gordon,

Warranty for UEC Vast STB reads as follows,

"Product Warranty
    The manufacturer warrant that the DSD4121 Decoder will be free from defects in design, matarials & workmanship for a period of 12 months from the date of sale of the new DSD 4121 Decoder to the consumer.
    This warranty will not apply in the event of:

* the DSD 4121 Decoder being tampered with or being opened, worked on, repaired or modified, save by an authorised Altech UEC Agent;

* the DSD 4121 Decoder not being installed or used in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications;

* the DSD 4121 Decoder not being used with the supplied power supply;

* malfunctioning or damage caused by the use of the DSD 4121 Decoder in conjunction with equipment or smartcards not supplied by the manufacturer;

In the event the DSD 4121 Decoder not functioning within the first 60 days of purchase, contact Altech UEC Australia, Agent or the retailer from which the DSD 4121 Decoder was purchased.

Thereafter the Agent will return the DSD 4121 Decoder to the Altech UEC nominated Repair Centre.
    The Manufacturer, at their sole discretion, will repair or replace the DSD 4121 Decoder which is not functioning and which is returned within 12 months from the date of sale of the new DSD 4121 Decoder to the consumer.

Any repairs made in these first 12 months must be made by the Altech UEC Repair Centre in order to rely on this warranty certificate. This certificate, plus the original purchase receipt showing the date of purchase of the new DSD 4121 Decoder, must be provided when returning the DSD 4121 Decoder for warrantee purposes.

Obsolescence Disclaimer
    Digital Satellite Technology is rapidly evolving. As a result of this, it is not possible to predict what the requirements will be in a few years time. The manufacturer cannot guarantee that this DSD 4121 Decoder will be able to run all available services in the future."

Hope that helps.
    Cheers.

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

bambbbam (20-01-11),Bemboka (20-01-11),domwild (21-02-12),gordon_s1942 (19-01-11),OSIRUS (17-02-11),tristen (20-01-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks Tiny, exactly what I would expect a Guarantee to specify and state.
    The only annoyance will be having to go through the rigamorole of re-Authorising a replacement STB if one fails.

I did email the seller on Ebay about their Return Policy and they claim to 'Have sold Hundreds so they have a direct contact with UEC'.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 19-01-11 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks

I am in the proccess of this very thing at work. I'll be in contact with UEC tomorrow to see what the go is. Customers STB keeps loosing sat signal

Thanks

These failures should be enough for the VAST specs to be adjusted to allow other DVB S2 Irdeto boxes and separate cards to be used on VAST. .

What a pain for people in the middle of the bush to send the POS sorry UEC box back to base.
    Last edited by dryfry; 20-01-11 at 10:20 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    "Product Warranty
    The manufacturer warrant that the DSD4121 Decoder will be free from defects in design
    surely they have failed on the very first warranty promise ...
    Dm500, DM5620, DM600 x2, DM7000 x1, DM7020, DM7025, DM800, VU+DUO and a partridge in a pear tree
    All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nfnovice For This Useful Post:

Bemboka (20-01-11),dstudd (17-02-11),gordon_s1942 (21-01-11)

Thanks

A question I was just considering, 12 mths and one day you're UEC chucks a wobbly and is Kaput! Does one then have to purchase a new box and new card because of the locking of the old card to the now kaput box?
    Seems someone has not thought this out for the consumer at all.

Premium Member

Thanks

Thats how it computes at the moment !!!
    One extra thought is that the now DEAD STB is still shown as being in use and yours, so far that shouldnt pose any problems as there is no limit to the number of STB's you can own or register to a single address.
    Remember to record the dead card number so you can quote it on the activation form.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lurk_relurking View Post
    A question I was just considering, 12 mths and one day you're UEC chucks a wobbly and is Kaput! Does one then have to purchase a new box and new card because of the locking of the old card to the now kaput box?
    Seems someone has not thought this out for the consumer at all.
    Under the trade practices act they talk about a product of merchantable quality. If you buy something like this you expect it to last longer than 12 mths and one day. If they didn't want to help you out you could take it further to consumer affairs/VCAT. I better hide now.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (16-02-11),OSIRUS (17-02-11),Tiny (17-02-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Under the trade practices act they talk about a product of merchantable quality. If you buy something like this you expect it to last longer than 12 mths and one day. If they didn't want to help you out you could take it further to consumer affairs/VCAT. I better hide now.

Leroy
    OK. This is so, but what I'm trying to get across is in the case of a pink elephant sits on and breaks your sat box, not only now do you have to replace the box but also the card. So unless they have set up a way for you to lock your presently owned card to a new box, you have to re-buy both.
    When my Optus Aurora box shat itself , it was a simple case of going to town and buying a $130 Strong sat box and putting in the card and all was well. Picture back in about 2 hours, including cuppa in town.
    How long do we want to spend without TV while we argue over long distance with a retailer, distributor and the department of consumer affairs as to who is responsible to fix a out of warranty sat box? Me? I'd sooner drive into town and buy another box but not another damn card ,you might feel otherwise and it is your right, but I think who ever decided to marry the two items should realize that a marriage should only be between consenting adults, I don't consent :>}
    Last edited by lurk_relurking; 17-02-11 at 01:43 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

This is clearly enumerated in the Invisible Fine Print under the heading of 'They (VAST) Dont Mind and the Customer Dont Matter' !!!
    These and many more little boquets of thorny roses are going to become screamingly obvious as time progresses and the Analog shutdown proceeds culminating with the demise of Aurora !!
    Basically if your in a VAST only area, to avoid a loss of TV due to a STB problem, your going to need a second STB.
    I personaly have seen absolutely no advertising about the availabilty of VAST, what it is,where it is and who its for as yet.
    I feel many have upgraded to flatscreens with Digital tuners not because they are aware the analog is being switched off but because of the BIG screens and the Digital tuner is just part of the buy.
    I base this assumption partially on the crap they are running on the Digital channels.
    I do have to admit that those shows I saw before Colour was introduced in '74, do LOOK better in Colour now, but the content was CRAP then and time hasnt changed that !!!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 17-02-11 at 04:12 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

dstudd (17-02-11)

Thanks

Had to throw out my Aurora box like everybody else in the bush and now my UEC DSD4121 PVR has croaked. UEC told me the following: Repair quote free, will cost me $20 return postage if I do not like the quote, min. repair cost $88. So it will cost me $10 there, $88 min. plus possible postage back, warranty three months. New unit costs around $200. Lucky for us we can now buy from two additional sat decoder firms, like Satking ad Humax.