Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: System error! virus pop up

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

I have to disagree with you on that one some of the jobs i have had they have soooooooooooo much crap on there system (one of them had 103 running processes under task manager LOL and they wonder why there system was so slow) they love you when you hand back there box and it runs up to 30 timmes better all there stuff they wanted backed up is in one folder on there desktop
    and with the aid of auto installation disc with all the software streamed in
    it is a very simple process, sure it is not as challenging as fixing what ever
    needs fixing.But i sure can say the customer is always happy with the end product.
    And it is easy enough to find any other software they may have had on
    there system that they want reinstalled

It's like putting in new spark plugs when for the same price you can get a new motor
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by biggeorge View Post
    It's like having your dog put down and buying a new dog whenever he gets sick. You wouldn't do this to your kids, your dog or even sell a car every time something goes wrong...
    Why do it to a computer?
    LOL, you're taking your computer too seriously. I'll re-format the bugger if i get pissed with it. All my important stuff allways backed up in a seperate drive and have the XP installation CD like best4less that automatically installs all the 3rd party SW.
    Cheers.

Thanks

Angry g0ld.com

Any idea about g0ld.com.
    although it is doing nothing but a pop-up. but it is so irriteting..
    plz help!!!!!!

Thanks

Amateurs! Pff.

My computer has been running since 1997.
    Upgraded from windows 95, to 98, to 98se, to XP pro. Changed various motherboards, upgraded hard drives by cloning old one, etc. but the basic install is still the same one I always had.

My computer runs just fine, it is as quick as a 2.4ghz should be, boots up relatively quickly, etc.

There is NO reason to format and re-install.
    Re-install over the top of, sometimes... when windows will not co-operate with new hardware, but trashing the LOT is never required.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by du2008 View Post
    Any idea about g0ld.com.
    although it is doing nothing but a pop-up. but it is so irriteting..
    plz help!!!!!!

From what google says g0ld.com is part of a Trojan Downloader that may be used to steal World of Warcraft logins and it is caught by visiting websites that use visual basic and java scripts to exploit Active X vulnerabilities.

To start:

Get CCleaner to clean up your temporary files (g0ld.com lives there) and run couple virus and malware scans to remove any other associated malwares.

From

Download CCleaner from and install Option 3 - CCleaner - Slim - No Toolbar - English Language Only. Run it.

CCleaner Setup and Usage

1. Before first use, check under Options, Advanced, and UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours".
    2. A pop up box will appear advising this process will permanently delete files from your system.
    3. Then select the items you wish to clean up. (See Note 1 below)

In the Windows Tab:

Clean all entries in the "Internet Explorer". If you prefer to keep your cookies, uncheck the Cookies entry. Deleting cookies will require re-entry of user names and passwords on next visit to sites that require users log in.
    Clean all the entries in the "Windows Explorer" section.
    Clean all entries in the "System" section.
    Clean all entries in the "Advanced" section.
    Clean any others that you choose.

In the Applications Tab:

Clean all (optionally, except cookies) in the Firefox/Mozilla section if you use it.
    Clean all in the Opera section if you use it.
    Clean Sun Java in the Internet Section. ==> Important: See Note 2 below before proceeding
    Clean any others that you choose.

4. Then click the "Run Cleaner" button and it will scan and clean your system.
    Click exit.

For operational help with CCleaner's setup and features please consult this screenshot tutorial

Note 1: To see a list of everything that CCleaner 'cleans' so you may customize the settings to suit your needs, click here

Note 2: If you run Yahoo's website design program called SiteBuilder do not check the option to clean out Sun Java, accessed under the Applications => Internet => Sun Java section as specified in Step 3 above.
    Reboot when finished.

Download the free trial of Kaspersky and run it

Download the free version of Superantispyware and run it

Download and run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

UPDATE your windows!

See how you go, you may need to do more.

Thanks

Amateurs! Pff.

My computer has been running since 1997.
    Upgraded from windows 95, to 98, to 98se, to XP pro. Changed various motherboards, upgraded hard drives by cloning old one, etc. but the basic install is still the same one I always had.

My computer runs just fine, it is as quick as a 2.4ghz should be, boots up relatively quickly, etc.

There is NO reason to format and re-install.
    Re-install over the top of, sometimes... when windows will not co-operate with new hardware, but trashing the LOT is never required.
    I had similar symptoms to the OP but on vista x64, smitfaudfix will not work on it as it was not designed for x64 and i was struggling for hours trying for a fix but couldnt find one (still curious for one) so reformatted and installed a fresh copy.

All important data is on seperate drives so no worries about that

Id like to know why you waste your time trying to work around the problem and being so strong on the issue when a fresh install takes no longer than 30 mins and you know for a fact there is no shit lurking behind in some folder/registry entry etc etc

anyhow not having a go or anything

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tek_01 View Post
    IId like to know why you waste your time trying to work around the problem and being so strong on the issue when a fresh install takes no longer than 30 mins and you know for a fact there is no shit lurking behind in some folder/registry entry etc etc

anyhow not having a go or anything
    A fresh install does not take 30 minutes.
    Well, if you're happy to have a computer with windows and internet explorer only, then yes... it's a 30 to 60 minute job.

Then you have to install a gig of windows updates, office, dump all your emails back into your email program, set up your email accounts and pop settings again, re-install antivirus, anti crapware, etc..
    Then re-install any other pieces of software you have, most of which have newer versions of them available now, so require a new download, updates, sometimes re-register.

Then you gotta re-install the right drivers for your hardware, but the disk that came with the gear is out of date, so you gotta download updated versions...

Then dump in your favourites to internet explorer.
    Along with your own files, word docs, spreadsheets, etc. Personal data.

I imagine it'd take 2+ days to get things back to a satisfactory standard or normality.

As opposed to.... Find the problem -> then fix it.

Thanks

1st
    I get the customer to write everything down he wants backed up and
    tell him to bring in what ever discs he wants loaded
    user names and passwords Blah Blah...
    2nd
    I back up up what the customer wants on to external drive
    3rd
    Load windows and while that is happening i have downloaded all the latest drivers
    4th
    Load 2nd disc that has all the software they want service packs office etc
    and drag all there stuff back where it belongs

Its how prepared you are i have every thing ready like a pit stop LOL
    But 2 days is a bit tall takes me roughly 2 to 6 hours

Don't get me wrong I love the challenge of fixing computers
    with out reformatting them but you cant beat how well they run on a clean install

I am talking about home computers not anything big like government servers and databases then that would take me 3 months to fix the mess i would make LOL
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Another one I am having trouble with
    Fast-VirusScanner.com
    Another customers computer and it keeps on getting a pop, up when browsing on IE or browsing the folders, to download a software to get rid of malware.
    It says "Attention, NAME! Some dangerous trojan horses detected in your system. Microsoft Windows XP files corrupted. This may lead to the destruction of important files in C:\Windows. Download protection software now!
    Click OK to download the antispyware. (Recommended)"

Whether I click Yes, or No, it still takes me to this page:

I have tried
    SmitFraudFix
    SDFix
    VundoFix
    spybot
    antivir
    spyware doctor
    reg mechanic

I am just downloading a brick so i can use it to smash it with

Any thoughts?? Please help LOL

Thanks

do a scan and have a hard look....

A google search shows someone with the same trojan (no replies yet to the post) and one of the strange entries was "C:\WINDOWS\system32\xedifnsy.dll
    " do you have it as well?

Thanks

Hey thanks ssrattus for your help
    I did have that file in in system32 folder but i have done a system restore
    and it has gone now,
    go figure,
    and it has seem to fixed the pop up problems also
    which is good but would of been better to remove it properly
    (what ever it was) and to find what was causing it, But I will take a win any way I can tonight LOL

Thanks

Hey best4less how did you go with ur virus?
    I have a similar problem. I do the same sort of work trying to rid this vundo variant on my own computers atm. but no matter wot I do it always seems to pop up. Its a cheeky virus mate. It will turn up again in time I bet. 3 times I have tried many different paths to delete it! I had disabled network after update Ran Superantispyware (crashed pc) then ran Windows XP repair. Run all the above mentioned appart from HJT so I still got a few avenues to try yet but never give up buddy.. where theres a will theres a way :-)

Google this free program, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware This does updates and seems to finish it off and Im sure Im clean again.. now thats my 2 cents worth
    And now I just hope I can stay safe!

Thanks

Default Web Technologies

Found a nasty one the other day that installed under program files\web technologies that may be similar to your problem. So if you see web technologies delete it.

The way I got around it:
    First disable its ability to get to the web
    Edit windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    add entries for web sites it tries to go to with the pop up pages addresses eg

you can leave the above entries in for any future attack

Look in task manager and find unusual programs running. You can try to kill them in task manager and they start again is usually a good sign of spyware. Locate the exe on your hard drive and try renaming it or move command in DOS so next time it tries to start after you kill it, it can't find the exe.

The trusted program I find that has killed everything so far after the initial cleanup is but pc-week doesn't rate it that highly.

Thanks

ive been getting heaps of shitty little popups latley, they all seem to have this address in the IE popup, which i never ever use

cant find anything on google so dunno.
    ...In Somnis Veritas...

Thanks

osiris777 try this mate i have done sooooo many computers with Trojans in the last couple of weeks

Thanks

You *NEVER* ever ever need to "reformat" a hard drive, re-install windows and everything else.
    I cringe when I hear "I had to reformat the hard drive" because it is un-necessary, it wastes a lot of time, and really messes up the people who have data and programs stored on the hard disc.

There is no problem that I have ever come across, that cannot be fixed somehow. Usually googling the symptoms and reading for half an hour will give you all the answers you need.

It's like having your dog put down and buying a new dog whenever he gets sick. You wouldn't do this to your kids, your dog or even sell a car every time something goes wrong...
    Why do it to a computer?
    Well IMO there are some systems that are that F*&ked up that a format and
    setup from scratch is quicker than trying to sort all the mess out..
    Old Dog, No Flies

Thanks

I use ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/cureit/launch.exe
    The website here

Got my vote, you MUST run it in safe mode. Cause it is the free version, run it( it does a quick scan) and then when it finishes do a complete scan with it.
    I have tried LOTS of software and do 5-10 pc's a week and this proggy and kaspersky internet security once its stable and clean cannot be beat.

As for the format issue, it is impossible that a system that has been running for 5 years without a format( unless you do not install/remove anything) will not run faster after a format.
    I would rather not format, but some pc's are so screwed that I would not waste my time cleaning what they have. The other reason to format is that it TEACHES the customer to take some responsibility for the CRAP they install on their system.
    What happens if I press alt + F4?

Thanks

I wouldnt reload a business hard drive or some private ones for that mater .
    As they will always for get to take something off .
    H Drives are cheap theses days slip a new one in .
    And keep the old drive for those Ops I forgot to take that off moments

Thanks

can we make this a sticky?
    all the info above are so useful.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12