Thread: 2011 rams head dollar

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default 2011 rams head dollar

These are a new addition and to get one, you have to go to Canberra to the Australian Mint and make your own on the visitors press. Or buy one on Ebay

The iconic image of a ram’s head will once again grace Australia’s newest $1 coin as revealed on New Year’s Day at the Royal Australian Mint in Canberra.

Originally appearing on the one shilling from 1938 to 1963, the Royal Australian Mint has returned to this familiar design to recognise one of Australia’s longest running industries.

This new $1 ram’s head coin design continues our celebration in 2011 of Australian wool and the role it played in the development of modern Australia, said Assistant Treasurer, Bill Shorten.

The original design of the ram was modelled on a champion Merino at the Annual Sydney Sheep Show in 1932 and came to be known as the “Shilling Ram”, Mr Shorten said.

This collectible coin is an exclusive offer and one which will be sought after by many collectors. It is only available to make at our store in Canberra and bears a ‘C for Canberra’ mark on it, making it a memento to keep forever, said CEO of the Royal Australian Mint, Mr Ross MacDiarmid.

The dies in the gallery press will be changed to the “Ram’s head” design on New Year’s Eve, giving one lucky visitor to the Mint on New Year’s Day the rare opportunity to strike the very first collector coin for 2011, Mr MacDiarmid said.

In the past, coin collectors have lined up at sunrise for the chance to be amongst the first people in the world to mint the first coin for the year – and this year I imagine it will be no different.

The following 99 visitors who make a coin on the visitor press will also take home a special prize and certificate proving they were some of the first people in the world to make a coin at the Mint in 2011.

Interestingly, the last Rams Head coin which was the 1991 50 cent piece is reasonably hard to get hold of even though its a circulated coin. Circulated examples are pulling as much as $10 each on Ebay so check your change

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Learjet (19-09-11),leginau (13-10-11),OSIRUS (29-04-11),tech_support (13-10-11),Xplorer (19-01-11)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Thanks Sanity - as briefly saw this on my infrequent periodic trawl through ebay the other day, but did not stop to see what it was pertaining to.

Interesting that the coin is only available in Canberra, as over a decade ago collected a set of Howard Florey $1 coins, in that there were about 5 different versions, being Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth (off memory). Obviously good marketing opportunity gone, or perhaps no longer done the way it was a decade ago!

With reference to your comment about Rams Head 50 cent piece, which I am ashnmed to say I was not aware of, found following interesting site, that contains an image of mentioned coin:

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

• The Following User Says Thank You to porkchops For This Useful Post:

Xplorer (19-01-11)

Administrator
    Thanks

Thanks for the post Porckchops, yep its a good link especially as it has pics and the number minted.

They still do coins in the way you have mentioned ( some, not all ) such as these

They also have a silver proof version of the 2011 Rams head, I have a couple on order but havent got them yet. The Australian Mint is shockingly slow to buy things from and I only buy from them if I have to. I ordered over a week ago and they only billed my CC yesterday.

Heres a pic of the silver proof version.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

porkchops (19-01-11)

Thanks

Thanks for the link to the mint, as was on their mailing list years ago - but as I spent nothing, was dropped off the list. Now to select what I like from the catalogue
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Administrator
    Thanks

Yep , they do have some nice stuff. I like the 2010 gold set.....6 grand is a bit out of my league

Though it appears financial returns on these sets have been good.

The Royal Australian Mint has not produced a six coin gold set since 2007 and collectors have been waiting eagerly ever since.

Naturally we can understand their desire as past gold year sets have been commanding good returns; the 2007 set has increased in value by 32%, the 2006 by 42.5%, the 2005 by 33% and the 2001 by an incredible 134%.

Like previous gold sets the 2010 six coin gold year set has a very low mintage – 500. Collectors will need to act fast if they are to make the most of this opportunity and add this set to the top shelf of their collection or investment portfolio.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks guys, will drop in there next week, check things out and pick up a few 2011 Rams Head Dollars.

Will have to give the 2010 Gold set a miss. At 6 grand I'll be kicked out of the house if I was to buy one. ha ha

Administrator
    Thanks

I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of the 2011 Gold $10 coins. They were released via a ballot only and only 2500 were made.

Uploaded with

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

BillyGoat (29-04-11),Godzilla (05-05-11),OSIRUS (29-04-11)

Administrator
    Thanks

I also got the privy mark set and ended purchasing the silver proof one was well that I mentioned earlier in the thread, so I pretty much have the whole set.

There is another privvy mark set coming out later this year with coins marked for the states they didnt do here so I will have to keep my eyes open.

Uploaded with

Edit : Just followed one of my own links and saw its out, I better grab it

OSIRUS (29-04-11)

Thanks

@Sanity

If you dont mind me asking what did the "2011 Gold $10 coin" cost?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoat View Post
    @Sanity

If you dont mind me asking what did the "2011 Gold $10 coin" cost?
    Way too much for me I wasnt in the ballot so I had to get one on the private market. I am now on their mailing so I dont have this problem in the future

Ballot winners paid $265 from memory ? They are a tiny coin, much smaller than the pics suggest. The box is real timber and the 2 metal dots are the magetic lid which closes and stays shut very well.I dont have mine in hand yet, but my mate got his yesterday.

There is plenty of profiteering going on on ebay, it seems some people have at least 4 to sell. Obviously they have registered multiple accounts using mum, grandma etc

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

BillyGoat (29-04-11),Godzilla (05-05-11),OSIRUS (29-04-11)

Thanks

nice i only have a $5 coin and a $200 coin
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    These are a new addition and to get one, you have to go to Canberra to the Australian Mint and make your own on the visitors press. Or buy one on Ebay

The iconic image of a ram’s head will once again grace Australia’s newest $1 coin as revealed on New Year’s Day at the Royal Australian Mint in Canberra.

Originally appearing on the one shilling from 1938 to 1963, the Royal Australian Mint has returned to this familiar design to recognise one of Australia’s longest running industries.

This new $1 ram’s head coin design continues our celebration in 2011 of Australian wool and the role it played in the development of modern Australia, said Assistant Treasurer, Bill Shorten.

The original design of the ram was modelled on a champion Merino at the Annual Sydney Sheep Show in 1932 and came to be known as the “Shilling Ram”, Mr Shorten said.

This collectible coin is an exclusive offer and one which will be sought after by many collectors. It is only available to make at our store in Canberra and bears a ‘C for Canberra’ mark on it, making it a memento to keep forever, said CEO of the Royal Australian Mint, Mr Ross MacDiarmid.

The dies in the gallery press will be changed to the “Ram’s head” design on New Year’s Eve, giving one lucky visitor to the Mint on New Year’s Day the rare opportunity to strike the very first collector coin for 2011, Mr MacDiarmid said.

In the past, coin collectors have lined up at sunrise for the chance to be amongst the first people in the world to mint the first coin for the year – and this year I imagine it will be no different.

The following 99 visitors who make a coin on the visitor press will also take home a special prize and certificate proving they were some of the first people in the world to make a coin at the Mint in 2011.

Interestingly, the last Rams Head coin which was the 1991 50 cent piece is reasonably hard to get hold of even though its a circulated coin. Circulated examples are pulling as much as $10 each on Ebay so check your change
    What's the going rate for these visitor press coins ???

Administrator
    Thanks

It seems to vary, $6 and up and ebay.

bigfella08 (29-04-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

I've only just noticed this section. I'm getting slow in my middle age.

I've still got to get one of these rams head dollars. Should go well with the coat of arms dollar. The design is a classic.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Ballot winners paid $265
    I was a lucky one,but i dont have a dollar coin yet.
    something to pass on to the children
    dreamax 600,strong 4663