Thread: VAST new dish or Traveler set up

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default VAST new dish or Traveler set up

Who so far has tried to set up a VAST stb and align the dish as if they were a 'Traveller'?
    Firstly assuming the STB is already authorised, Joe Bloggs arrives at his intended camping spot, out comes the dish on its trusty tripod, Joe knows his Elevation and Azimith from either doing a Location check or being there before,connects it all up and ????????
    Ok, what channel would you put the STB on,800? and is the little Sat Finder sufficient for this procedure?
    Obviously from reading the channel 800 info page, it says if you can see it, your set up is ok but how sensative is the STB when your trying to align a new dish?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I recently bought a VAST system, complete with electronic sat finder. This is the first sat system I have had any thing to do with. I plugged all the cables in as per the instructions, The box came on in standby mode and scanning. The sat finder was in series with the dish. Following the charts for direction, elevation and LNB skew I fine tuned them by the sat finder. Removed the sat finder and went to the TV which showed that it had a signal, turned it on and watched whichever channel. Having never set up a system before, I was pleasently surprised how easy it was. First time took less than 15 minutes, including connections.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rodnic For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (28-01-11)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rodnic View Post
    I recently bought a VAST system, complete with electronic sat finder. This is the first sat system I have had any thing to do with. I plugged all the cables in as per the instructions, The box came on in standby mode and scanning. The sat finder was in series with the dish. Following the charts for direction, elevation and LNB skew I fine tuned them by the sat finder. Removed the sat finder and went to the TV which showed that it had a signal, turned it on and watched whichever channel. Having never set up a system before, I was pleasently surprised how easy it was. First time took less than 15 minutes, including connections.
    Well done, Rodnic!

It's a good feeling when something like that comes together.

Premium Member

Thanks

My thoughts too Rodnic, very well done.
    On second reading, you had the STB on standby which is even more interesting as I thought it would have to be in the ON position.
    I am used to a Humax which totaly turns OFF when shut down.
    And am I reading correctly, this was a 'Cold' setup and you hadnt even got it authorised to receive any channels?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 28-01-11 at 12:14 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    My thoughts too Rodnic, very well done.
    On second reading, you had the STB on standby which is even more interesting as I thought it would have to be in the ON position.
    I am used to a Humax which totaly turns OFF when shut down.
    And am I reading correctly, this was a 'Cold' setup and you hadnt even got it authorised to receive any channels?
    Yes it had not been authorised, just got ABC and SBS I did not have to do anything different when authorised. Works well.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rodnic View Post
    Well done Rodnic, that sums it up nicely.
    You can check your results on the VAST UEC decoder by pressing the menu button on the remote, then select advanced options & signal detection.
    You should be aiming for Signal Level of 85 & Signal Quality of 30 or above.
    I'm getting 39 at the moment, but have had no problems at 32. Tweaking the LNB skew angle can make the difference.

Cheers.

Thanks

[QUOTE=gordon_s1942;373382]My thoughts too Rodnic, very well done.
    QUOTE]

The Vast box gets updates in the standby as well so I would imagine that the lnb voltage is always on

Premium Member

Thanks

Yes cpd, I should have been aware because the Austar stb's work exactly the same.
    I just checked the signal detection and see 86% Signal level and 39/42% signal quality on the spare line from the multiswitch unit.