Thread: Seagate ST32000542AS LBA 0 Error

Thanks

Default Seagate ST32000542AS LBA 0 Error

Just repaired a newer seagate Barracuda LP 2tb drive using the method listed here for the 7200.11rpm drives.

Performed the operation with a home made MAX232 RS232 -> TTL adapter made up from spare parts found lying around at work.

The drive originally crapped out after the PC crashed, Thought it may have been corrupted firmware and tried to update, which worked successfully and updated firmware but did not fix the 0 LBA issue.

I do not fully understand what the commands actually do to the drive but my theory is it wipes and re-detects the available LBA. The command did not wipe data in my case. When i reconnected the drive after it had finished, windows detected it and the data on the spanned partitions (spanned accross another 2tb drive) came back to life with no issues.

Needless to say i will be getting an offline backup very soon

Hope this helps someone else. Saved my ass and my rather large collection of stuff.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Default Seagate Barracuda ST32000542AS fault repairing

Hi,
    i don't know whether I will get response from such an old quote, but still I'm trying.
    I have a seagate barracuda LP ST32000542AS HDD which is no longer detected in BIOS. You explained in your post as the LBA0 issue for that model has been corrected. Did your drive was detected in the BIOS after the crash? If the drive was not detected how you did carry out the firmware upgrade and further correction for LBA error. moreover the link you mentioned is giving 404 error to me. I am very much eager to hear this because yours is the only thread I ever found that the LBA0 error of ST32000542As has been corrected using the RS232-TTl method for 7200.11 drives.
    Please I would very much appreciate your response.
    Thanks in advance and regards

Quote Originally Posted by Jalorathis View Post
    Just repaired a newer seagate Barracuda LP 2tb drive using the method listed here for the 7200.11rpm drives.

Performed the operation with a home made MAX232 RS232 -> TTL adapter made up from spare parts found lying around at work.

The drive originally crapped out after the PC crashed, Thought it may have been corrupted firmware and tried to update, which worked successfully and updated firmware but did not fix the 0 LBA issue.

I do not fully understand what the commands actually do to the drive but my theory is it wipes and re-detects the available LBA. The command did not wipe data in my case. When i reconnected the drive after it had finished, windows detected it and the data on the spanned partitions (spanned accross another 2tb drive) came back to life with no issues.

Needless to say i will be getting an offline backup very soon

Hope this helps someone else. Saved my ass and my rather large collection of stuff.
    Last edited by scientist; 22-05-12 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Typ error

Thanks

This problem is a well known firmware issue ,

• The Following User Says Thank You to Joey For This Useful Post:

tristen (23-05-12)

Thanks

Default Seagate Barracuda ST32000542AS fault repairing

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    This problem is a well known firmware issue ,

THANKS joey for the reply
    I have gone through those discussions and even tried it. but my problem is that all these methods explained for 7200.11 HDDs are not working with my disk ST32000542AS (which is a barracuda LP 5900rpm disk, not a 7200.11 disk). The actual problem is that this model doesn't respond through the serial communication (Rx Tx) ( as I have read discussions) and you don't get an F3T prompt in the terminal. Since I have seen the discussion in this forum as someone succeeded in fixing the LBA issue with an ST32000542AS model 2 TB drives, I was very much interested. If you can provide some more input as to how can I make the serial communication to respond, I would be very grateful.
    Thanks again
    regards
    Last edited by scientist; 23-05-12 at 11:03 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scientist View Post
    THANKS joey for the reply
    I have gone through those discussions and even tried it. but my problem is that all these methods explained for 7200.11 HDDs are not working with my disk ST32000542AS (which is a barracuda LP 5900rpm disk, not a 7200.11 disk). The actual problem is that this model doesn't respond through the serial communication (Rx Tx) ( as I have read discussions) and you don't get an F3T prompt in the terminal. Since I have seen the discussion in this forum as someone succeeded in fixing the LBA issue with an ST32000542AS model 2 TB drives, I was very much interested. If you can provide some more input as to how can I make the serial communication to respond, I would be very grateful.
    Thanks again
    regards
    The repair can be as simple as finding yourself another identical drive and just swapping the pcb over , if you wanted to repair the other PCB the Flash from the working one can be read off ( by removing ) the IC and reading in an adapter and then written back to the faulty drive.
    Assuming it is only a flash firmware issue and nothing else.

Another working new or used drive isn't going to cost very much and very little effort to retrieve your data.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Joey For This Useful Post:

AndyM (13-07-12)

Thanks

Hi Joey,I tried the method described above,but the end result didn't change the hard drive being seen by my computer. I'll have another try and provide more details about exactly what state it is in for you.With regard to buying another drive and swapping the PCB over,I didn't think that would work because the board was unique to each drive.What sort of adapter is it you used?

"The repair can be as simple as finding yourself another identical drive and just swapping the pcb over , if you wanted to repair the other PCB the Flash from the working one can be read off ( by removing ) the IC and reading in an adapter and then written back to the faulty drive.
    Assuming it is only a flash firmware issue and nothing else."

Thanks.
    AndyM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    ...I didn't think that would work because the board was unique to each drive.
    It comes down to the hard disk manufacturer / model of the drive. Some controllers store defect information and head velocity maps onboard in flash, others store it in a user inaccessible part of the media. If it's onboard the controller swapping boards between hard disks won't necessarily give meaningful access to the media.

I have no idea about your particular model hard drive.

Thanks

Default ST32000542AS has 0 LBA & BSY

I have ST32000542AS with 0 LBA & BSY
    So i wonder if it can be fixed with the 7200. trick ?