Thread: How the UltraPlus F-9000HD PVR compares to the Topfield 7100 FTA

Thanks

Wink How the UltraPlus F-9000HD PVR compares to the Topfield 7100 FTA

I've lived with FTA PVRs for some years now. Previous units were Strong, Humax, Wintal, Topfield 7000 & Topfield 7100. The 7000 had many problems but these appear to have been overcome with the 7100, a unit I find very ergonomic. So, to put the F-9000HD PVR in context, I've preceded comments on it with some on the Topfield. The only satellite PVRs have been the Topfield 5000 and the new F-9000HD. I have owned a couple of satellite STBs but will not clutter this post with comments on them.

The FTA Topfield 7100
    About the only irritation I find is the setting of the timer if not using EPG or TVIO - the end of time is a PIA to set.
    Other than that I find the interface VERY user friendly. The skip button is instantaneous and there is a huge choice of FF & RR speeds, some very fast. I also like being able to delete a file while it is still playing - not a big issue but nice.
    So far the 325 GB HDD has been plenty large enough, particularly now when the PVR is only being used for commercial TV with SBS & ABC taken off satellite (because of bad reception here for ABC & SBS with the present aerial - yes I've tried many others with no better success). Of all the PVRs, STBs & TVs tried out here, the sensitivity of the tuner in the 7000 series Topfields is the best and levels with that of the excellent Strong STBs.

The UltraPlus F-9000HD PVR (for satellite)
    No, it is not as ergonomic as the Toppy 7000 series but is acceptably close and a big improvement on the Topfield 5000. Now I have the skip function set to 30 seconds it is much better to operate but that skipping is not as quick and good as in the Toppies. Similarly the FF & RR are very good (much better than the 5000) but not up to 7000 series Toppy standards. File handling is also a little messier although this has been overcome with macros in the programmable HTM remote. Play must be stopped before a file can be deleted. But EPG on satellite (Optus D1) is generally quite reliable, particularly for SBS although irritatingly the ABC can be off. I see no justification for the ABC to emulate the games the commercial stations play in not sticking to advertised times but that is a bit OT.

A note on remotes is appropriate here. The Toppy remote is a fiddly little thing and that on the U-P an appalling mess. Fortunately all codes from both (which do not conflict) have been accepted by the HTM Aeros programmable remote so a few macros make the recorder functions easy to control. From what I read the Logitech Harmony is just as effective, less expensive and has manufacture backup, something withdrawn from HTM users who are not installers. Having learned all the tricks involved with the 700, 800 & 850 HTM remotes I've stuck with them but would not argue others should ignore Harmony.

I'm looking forward to VAST here in Tasmania but it will not be available until later 2012 and, at the moment, it looks doubtful if the F-9000HD will be able to be used for it. I need VAST as we are in a bad shadow for FTA broadcasts from Mt Barrow and very much on the fringe of reception from the repeater Juliana St broadcasts in Launceston. So we are looking to satellite reception for the ultimate answer.

John
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tassie Devil For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (12-02-11)

Look Here ->