Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar installed today

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Default Solar installed today

Gidday,

I have just had a 1.5KW system installed today.

It has 8 x 190W panels and a CMS 1500 inverter.

Looking forward to NOT paying as much for electricity.

A few questions....

The electrician who installed it told me that my electricity provider will just come and install a new meter to meter the feed in tariff.

do I get a choice in this?

Is it worth it?

Does anyone know were to obtain teh software for the CMS1500 inverter so as I can upload from it to a PC through the rs232 port???

Any other things I should know so as I can battle the electricity provider would be appreciated.

Regards

Porkop
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 707 Posts

Great - more bloody rain coming!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Don Benosee For This Useful Post:

porkop (15-02-11)

Premium Lager

Thanks

Victoria, sunny 27 degrees

Thanks

Should have got a 2100 inverter,as you can add extra panels and not pay for a new inverter.
    I had 8x1.8kw panels and upgraded a year later to 12x1.8kw.
    In order to reduce your electricity bill the power company will pay you say 66c per kWhr in excess of what you are using.You have a better chance of earning this with a larger system.

Thanks

what brand of panels
    woteva

Thanks

Expect a large increase in charges for the power you use and service charges.
    I enquired prior to installing - No change to your charges sir but you will benefit from the 66c PFIT.
    21c increased to 26c KWH for peak. Was working the payback figures on a 3 to 1 advantage. Getting much closer to 2 to 1 now.

• The Following User Says Thank You to dogsbreath For This Useful Post:

porkop (16-02-11)

Premium Lager

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgarg View Post
    Should have got a 2100 inverter,as you can add extra panels and not pay for a new inverter.
    I had 8x1.8kw panels and upgraded a year later to 12x1.8kw.
    In order to reduce your electricity bill the power company will pay you say 66c per kWhr in excess of what you are using.You have a better chance of earning this with a larger system.
    Yes I know but it is what I could afford. I would have liked 5 or 10 Kw system but we have to be realistic!

Quote Originally Posted by omega99 View Post
    what brand of panels
    Tianwei 190W

Premium Lager

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dogsbreath View Post
    I enquired prior to installing - No change to your charges sir but you will benefit from the 66c PFIT.
    21c increased to 26c KWH for peak. Was working the payback figures on a 3 to 1 advantage. Getting much closer to 2 to 1 now.
    I am pretty quick to jump on utilities who try to put the wool over my eyes. I am contracted at 21c /KW so if they increase they will be getting a call from me and a complaint to the ombusdman.

As to changing feed in tariffs, I expect the govn. will alter things to suit THEIR needs as time goes on, however, any feed in tariff is better than what I was getting before the solar install

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dogsbreath View Post
    just wondering , why do they increase charges cos you went solar?

Thanks

I was told the tariff you pay is based upon the meter that is installed at your residence.

When I installed the solar we had a digital meter in place, hence already being on TOU, but at standard residential rates. This meter was not a bi-directional meter hence any export would have been billed against me as if I was using the power.

I was also told that my tariffs would not change and it was emphasised that I would benefit from the Premium Feed in Tariff of 66c.

The distributors, SP Ausnet in my case, dictate what tariff you are charged by what meter is installed. It appears the retailers just throw on their margins for the privalege of billing you and handling payment etc. If you have a fault you end up dealing with the distributor.

The solar tariff appears to be a business tariff

I payed for the meter changeover so no added cost there for them.

The fixed charge has increased which I would consider as being a reasonable as the meter cost needs to be recovered and increased billing complexity will need some infrastructure improvements along with safety equipment etc for the service crews dealing with the connected lines.

I see the increase in tariff rates as simple offset for the PFIT they have to pay.

I am still a residential user.

It would be cheaper for me to set up another connection to the house and have two seperate connections. One solely for the solar and PFIT and the other for my residential useage and revert back to normal tariffs.

We too will be contacting the ombudsman about the negligent actions of the retailer seeking a rectification or compensation for their gross misinformation.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dogsbreath For This Useful Post:

anyone (16-02-11),Don Benosee (16-02-11),porkop (16-02-11)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

There is no way any company can pay 60 cents a Unit then sell it for 20 cents, some one somewhere has to pay.
    They have already made it a Taxable Income for Old Age Pensioners, so how long before they start sniffing at everyone else?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

In Victoria AGL pay me 68 cents per kw for what i feed into the grid. I currently pay 18.9 cents per kw for power I buy from them.

I have a co generation meter NOT a smart meter so I am on a flat tarif if i had a smart meter they could charge time of use which sucks big time.

You need to get the meter installed you might find calling the power supplier is cheaper than having the solar company arrange it.

I paid AGL $109.00 to have the meter swaped and then an inspector checks the install and your system is enabled (remove the lock on the circuit breaker)

You need to sign and return a supply agreement to get the higher payment rate of 68 cents if your in Victoria other states I don't know.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SystemRat For This Useful Post:

porkop (17-02-11)

Thanks

There is no way any company can pay 60 cents a Unit then sell it for 20 cents, some one somewhere has to pay.
    in WA we get 47c/kw/h, 7c from the provider(synergy, state owned) 40c from the state gov, guaranteed for 10 yrs (but this is to be reviewed) typical of our gov over here, the 7c reflects that it only costs 7c to make a kw/h for them so we get that of course,(plus the state solar bonus 40c) the network upkeep makes up the diff in what you pay, so they tell us

Thanks

I got mine put in a few days ago
    Still waiting on the smart meter
    In Qld (Central) its 44 cents(sell) and 22 cents(buy)
    Off peak is 11pm to 7 AM and weekends (so that is when you vaccum and wash clothes and make toast)
    Hot water was on off peak of 13 and that now goes to 22 as well.(I think)

So solar hotwater is the next purchase or my bill might increase.

1.5 system and the meter is running backwards with 3 fridges a tv and a computer going.
    I went 1.5 inverter because I didnt want to throw more of my money at technology that will get cheaper by the time Im ready to upgrade and only has a 5 year guarantee.
    The idea was to reduce the bill and the foot print while saving up for more.
    Last edited by Dishtrackted; 19-02-11 at 10:25 AM.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

I have no problem with smart meters in the context of remote reading but i object big time to the new tariffs.

We have a new state government and they are reviewing the smart meter project. I really hope thats not is not just spin but I fear the former government has stitched us up contractually but at least there is now hope rather than the disgraceful spin of the past which went along the lines of smart meters give consumers more control over there usage.

For example.

RESIDENTIAL & BUSINESS TIME OF DAY & TIME OF USE Time of Day Tariff

Supply charge 72.600

Peak 3pm to 11pm Monday to Friday 7am to 3pm Monday to Friday 32.780 cents per kilowatt

Shoulder 7am to 3pm Monday to Friday Off-Peak (All other times) 23.320 cents per kilowatt

Off-Peak all other times 9.020 cents per kilowatt

Premium Lager

Thanks

been keeping an eye on my power generation.....1.649KW today @1330pm!!!! and in Melbourne on a partly cloudy day....roll on feed in Tariff.

Also had a chat to my electricity provider, Tru Energy, they said the "Solar" meter will cost me $139.00, reasonable I though. Still might argue the case that THEY want to meter my electricity consumption, not me so why should I pay? think it will work????

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Me thinks you will have to pay.

My friend had one installed any they charged him $250.00. I called the same company and they qouted me $330.00 from memory but said i had to change power companys as they did not do AGL.

The $109.00 from AGL I thought was good given its the only thing I had to pay as it was in the days of the $8k grant.

Once the meter is in it may need to be inspected before they will remove the locking clip off the solar circuit breaker.

Not sure if you have that but it might pay to check when they can inspect it after the meter goes on IF you have that clip.

Would be a pain in the bum if they fit the meter and make you wait to get it inspected for a few weeks.

Premium Lager

Thanks

Yes I have the clip. Apparently the inspector will come to inspect the solar install some time next week and remove it (although it is removed atm shhhh). then in a few weeks the power spunges will do the meter.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SystemRat View Post
    I have no problem with smart meters in the context of remote reading but i object big time to the new tariffs.

We have a new state government and they are reviewing the smart meter project. I really hope thats not is not just spin but I fear the former government has stitched us up contractually but at least there is now hope rather than the disgraceful spin of the past which went along the lines of smart meters give consumers more control over there usage.

For example.

RESIDENTIAL & BUSINESS TIME OF DAY & TIME OF USE Time of Day Tariff

Supply charge 72.600

Peak 3pm to 11pm Monday to Friday 7am to 3pm Monday to Friday 32.780 cents per kilowatt

Shoulder 7am to 3pm Monday to Friday Off-Peak (All other times) 23.320 cents per kilowatt

Off-Peak all other times 9.020 cents per kilowatt
    I just rechecked my new bill and the rates charged by Intergral (NSW) is $0.189300 for 1745 units used, then $0.209600 thereafter.(thats another story)
    I still have the old style clock dial meter, no off peak as I have an instantanious Gas HWS.
    If I have read those rates correctly, I am staying as I am.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

These are Victorian power rates but from what I hear NSW is similar. With your election coming up it would be a good time to lobby the state government and opposition to try and stop time of use metering. With the change of government in Victoria they are investigating the smart meter project as there is little or no benefit for consumers but I guess it will come down to what the last lot signed us up for and if it can be gotten out of.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast