Thread: How are you recording?

Thanks

Default How are you recording?

For those with Vast, how are you recording shows? The UEC does not have PVR ability right? So what is the best way to record then. What equipment are you using? Not much thought went into the Vast Box did it?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lurk_relurking View Post
    Not much thought went into the Vast Box did it?
    Based on the amount of annoyance that been expressed with picture freeze,clicking noises, missing or useless EPG's, No PVR facility, I just have to disagree with your quote because all this just couldnt have happened without some human intervention surely ???
    And 'TimeShifting' has never been high on the Broadcasters agenda from Day one when the first VCR was released over 30 years ago.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Based on the amount of annoyance that been expressed with picture freeze,clicking noises, missing or useless EPG's, No PVR facility, I just have to disagree with your quote because all this just couldnt have happened without some human intervention surely ???
    And 'TimeShifting' has never been high on the Broadcasters agenda from Day one when the first VCR was released over 30 years ago.
    ...............random reboot, random pixelation, useless component out, inability to upscale to 1080p through an AV receiver, incompatibility with HDMI 4, unprogramable remote...........etc, etc. The complete lemon!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pc9 View Post
    ...............random reboot, random pixelation, useless component out, inability to upscale to 1080p through an AV receiver, incompatibility with HDMI 4, unprogramable remote...........etc, etc. The complete lemon!
    But it looks nice....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pc9 View Post
    Pc9 - you are too generous, the box is much worse than you make out.... at least with a lemon you can have a cool drink.

I purchased a VAST box for my son for Christmas, he is unable to get any terrestrial TV where he lives. Today he rang me and said, "what did I do wrong to get a present like this, can I have my Aurora system back? - it may not be wide screen and have lots of extra channels, but at least I could watch what was on or record for later with the Topfield".

Thanks

For those with Vast, how are you recording shows? The UEC does not have PVR ability right? So what is the best way to record then. What equipment are you using? Not much thought went into the Vast Box did it?
    I have a HUMAX SD tele that comes with an inbuilt PVR. I have looped the VAST box through the Hummy 5010Z and use either AV1 or AV2 to record what ever it is the Missus wants to watch.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

I record from the VAST box via composite out to a Sony hard disc/DVD recorder in HQ plus mode.
    The output from the Sony I use is component video. (no HDMI)
    The replayed picture is almost as good as what is viewed direct from VAST to 1080i TV via HDMI complete with random picture freeze (they are going to have that fixed by the end of January, they just didn't say WHICH January).
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Thanks for the info everybody.
    Are the HDMI outlet and the component outlet alive at the same time? I hope to use the component to feed a recorder and the TV by HDMI.
    Are the problems really as bad as your reporting?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Are the HDMI outlet and the component outlet alive at the same time? I hope to use the component to feed a recorder and the TV by HDMI.
    Hey mate, yes problems are as bad as everyone listed above, and some. No exaggeration.

To put it nicely, this VAST box from UEC is pathetic.

I use HDMI and picture quality is very good when it's not playing up. Don't yet have it set up to record. That is my next challenge.
    Sorry, away atm, so can't answer about simualtaneous HDMI and Component outputs. Hope someone else can help you.

Thanks

yeah both outlets work at the same time

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

All outlets on VAST UEC Decoder live all the time.
    The only hickup is that when you set the box up to output AC3 sound, the channels that are broadcast in AC3 only output thru Digital optical/coax & RCA connections, not thru the HDMI. The channels that are broadcast in PCM are still available thru HDMI. So if you want sound on all channels from the HDMI output you will need to leave the box setup to output sound in PCM.
    Hope that makes sense
    The problems seem to be slowly getting better, the picture freeze can be annoying about once an hour at the worst possible moment, but seems to be less often if at all on some channels. so maybe they are working on their broadcast quality.
    The ticking sound that I experienced on channels 11 & 72 have dissapeared hopefully forever.
    The EPG seems mostly correct on the southern boquets, a VAST improvement on what was happening a month ago.
    Last edited by Tiny; 19-02-11 at 10:21 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    All outlets on VAST UEC Decoder live all the time.
    The only hickup is that when you set the box up to output AC3 sound, the channels that are broadcast in AC3 only output thru Digital optical/coax & RCA connections, not thru the HDMI. The channels that are broadcast in PCM are still available thru HDMI. So if you want sound on all channels from the HDMI output you will need to leave the box setup to output sound in PCM.
    Hope that makes sense
    The problems seem to be slowly getting better, the picture freeze can be annoying about once an hour at the worst possible moment, but seems to be less often if at all on some channels. so maybe they are working on their broadcast quality.
    The ticking sound that I experienced on channels 11 & 72 have dissapeared hopefully forever.
    The EPG seems mostly correct on the southern boquets, a VAST improvement on what was happening a month ago.
    Thanks, Tiny. You have a black belt in electrickery!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by domwild View Post
    Thanks, Tiny. You have a black belt in electrickery!
    LOL, you may not have noticed the date on that post was over a year ago, just before UEC did an OTA update to the firmware which fixed all those problems bar the lack of compatible sound from the HDMI when the box is set to to Dolby (AC3) & apparently some TV's can read the the sound in that format.

I do however still record from the VAST box via composite out to a Sony hard disc/DVD recorder in HQ plus mode.
    The output from the Sony to the Panasonic TV I use is component video. (no HDMI)
    The replayed picture is almost as good as what is viewed direct from VAST to 1080i TV via HDMI

I would still like to get the new PVR software for my standard UEC4121 & use the PVR function to save the duplicate tasks when setting recordings.

Hope that clears things up.
    Last edited by Tiny; 02-03-12 at 04:49 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny