Thread: Trench art

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Trench art

Any trench art collectors on the forum ? I have a bit that my grandfather bought back from the Syrian Campaign in WW2.

I also got given ( yes free ! ) a nice WW1 piece last week. I will have to dig my camera out, but its a engraved German shell wih an end piece designed as a hat with an AIF hat badge on it. It has our engraved coat of arms on the front and on the back PALESTINE EGYPT GALLIPOLI FRANCE BELGIUM with a little map of Oz with BULLECOURT YPRES MONT ST QUENTIN YPRES .

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Have none, but do have a effing big knife made by my grandfather from the leaf spring of a jeep, chromed blade, and the handle from clear Perspex laminations from some aircraft. It has his id number (what ever they are really called) stamped near the hilt. I believe he served in Darwin, never OS in WW2 as some sort of mechanic.

Administrator
    Thanks

Finally found the camera cable :

Uploaded with

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Keith (01-01-12)

Thanks

Sorry I have none but I remember a plated belt my mother wore made from the clear celephane from around cig packets.It was really quite nice. I think they made it while in PNG.

regards flicker.
    Theres a good time coming, its a good time coming though.

Banned
    Thanks

To be honest i would take them to an antiques dealer or two to get a good feel for how much they are worth. Remember, the more of them who value them the better idea you will have of how much they are worth.

Thanks

Nice stuff have seen some amazing things from the first and second war, but i have read some where or seen on TV that these item are sort of illegal as what they are made off is the property of the arm forces and can not be sold, correct me if i am wrong here.

Tagg

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    Nice stuff have seen some amazing things from the first and second war, but i have read some where or seen on TV that these item are sort of illegal as what they are made off is the property of the arm forces and can not be sold, correct me if i am wrong here.

Tagg
    They are made from scrap, such as used artillery shells etc. which were generally thrown all over the country side buring battles. I have seen used shells stockpiled in photos, I would presume the Army would sell whats left over to scrap dealers to collect after the war/s to recycle.

I cant say I have heard of it being illegal, regardless I couldnt see the army trying to prosecute someone for having an old shell case or even selling one. I have read that after WW1, many people in France collected old shell casings to engrave and sell as sovenirs for many years after the war.