Thread: Jtag

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 742 Posts

Default Jtag

Ok, let me start by saying, 'if it 'aint broke, why fix it' That's my belief and due to that, my knowledge on 'JTAG' is minimal.

From my 'crash course' this arvo, I gather that a JTAG rewrites the processor 'rules' in the decoder. Correct me if I'm wrong. Actually correct me on anything I put here, 'cause I'm trying to learn.

I have a CAS 3 programmer and a Strong 4658X. My belief is, I am then able with the JTAG card I have (with my programmer) and using the USB capabilities of the CAS3 be able to Flash a JTAG to the processor.

Why would I even think about doing something like that when the decoder is working perfectly fine?

Well from what I can gather, if a Provider chooses to remove 3rd party boxes from their service then a JTAG mod to the processor to tell Mr Provider that he is the real thing is possible. So all I need is the Mod. Well I have Irdeto2 mods for JTAG, but is that opening the door to anyone, or do I specifically need the correct ProvID in the JTAG? I'm thinking the latter.

I have instructions on inserting a JTAG mod into a bin file.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?
    Can a flash be reversed if it doesn't work?
    How/where can I get original JTAG of my Decoder?
    How much will St Kilda win the 2008 Grand Final by?

I repeat, I know SFA about JTAG. Only what I've read today. Never had a need to do it.
    Cheers, Saintaholic

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I'm sorry, but not only are barking up the wrong tree, you are in the completely wrong forest.

The reason you use a Jtag on a decoder, is because there is NO OTHER way to flash the firmware or bootloader.

You can easily flash the firmware on your strong decoder using the serial port, so no need to Jtag.

But, you still need a working firmware for the strong, which is not available.

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 742 Posts

OK, that clears that up. Based on the 'surfing' I've been doing, it appeared to 'unlock' the chip. That's what they said.
    Cheers, Saintaholic