Thread: Review: iClebo Robot Vacuum from AlphaRobot.com.au

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Review: iClebo Robot Vacuum from AlphaRobot.com.au

I purchased an iClebo Smart in September 2010 after doing a lot of research in to robot vacuums. As they are a reasonably new item to the market, I decided to purchase from an Australian dealer is case things didnt go to plan with a fauly or not up to standard item. Unfortunately this is something I would come to regret.

The iClebo itself is a fairly well made unit (apart from one item I will mention later ). The " smart " model incorporates an inbuilt webcam type camera that takes a picture of your roof and walls so it knows where it has been and where it has to go. The "home" model doesnt use a camera but a series of pre determined patterns which may vacuum the same area anywhere from 2 - 10 times. The " smart " model uses this pattern in " carpet " mode.

I received the unit in a reasonable amount of time when ordering, but had to wait for it to arrive in Australia from Korea so I can only assume Alpha Robot doesnt keep stock but rather " drop ships " - placing an order after you pay them.

Generally, a full charge will get you around 2 hours of vacuuming. I have a large house, so only use the iClebo in my small front lounge room, hallway and family room. See the photos below of the flooring tested on - hard wood flooring and short pile carpet.

Initially the iClebo Smart worked well, certainly from a robotic perspective it was able to get around the cleaning area with any real problem, obviously you will need to remove any objects from the floor before hand that might get caught up in its spinning brush.

In December I contacted Alpha Robot to let them know the following :

Quote Originally Posted by Email to Alpha Robot
    I have unfortunately not had a very satisfactory time with the iClebo Smart so far. It worked reasonably well for the first week or 2, but since then has had issues cleaning. I have unfortunately been busy and havent had the time to deal it, but hope to now look at rectifying this issue.

After a couple of weeks use, the iClebo Smart wasnt doing its job. On the hard wood floor, instead of removing items it would run over the top of them and shoot them out the back. The rubber bin blade looked to be the culprit and Alpha Robot sent another :

Quote Originally Posted by email from Alpha Robot
    I have posted a new bin blade today as it seems there may be some blades that lose a 2 – 3 mm strip off the edge. The blade I have sent may do the same thing but until Yujin Robot supply a blade that will not have this issue we will just keep replacing it for you.
    After replacing the rubber blade, the result was instant. The machine was back to working as normal. But not for long, after only a few vacuums we were back to square one. Alpha Robot admitted " there is an issue with this " but claimed no one had it happen after a few vacuums. They stated they would send another blade but if it happened again this quickly I would have to give them my phone number or have them inspect my house.

I then sent the photos of my floor to Mark as requested, where he was quick to spot an aluminium seperating strip of " unusual nature " which he was quick to blame. He then sent me another blade that was a different color to the previous one. Again, same problem, rubber wears out, vacuum doesnt vacuum. This time, I ensured the robot did not cross the seperating strip at all. Exactly the same result.

So after 3 rubber blades wearing out in a short period of time, I asked Mark for a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by email to Alpha Robot
    Hello Mark

Although I had hopes for an improvement on this blade, it is already worn and slightly split with dirt items travelling under it and out the back of the vacuum cleaner. This is from use on my floor boards and carpet only...very carefull use to ensure it only travelled on those 2 surfaces. Clearly this unit will not clean properly unless the blade is in as new condition with no wear, as soon as wear is apparent the above happens.

This product has been of great disappointment to me as I am on a disability pension and am unable to vacuum my own floors. Obviously this issue will continue to happen.....I dont expect that you will be supplying me a new part every week ( this is a realistic time frame with how fast they wear out ) nor do I expect to be paying for a replacement part every week come end of warranty.

With this in mind, I am requesting a refund on this product. Please advise your return procedure, I have original box and packaging.
    In a nutshell, as soon as the rubber has the slightest wear on it it will not vacuum items off the floor. Mark admitted this problem on a number of ocassions :

it seems there may be some blades that lose a 2 – 3 mm strip off the edge
    However asking for a refund on a product that doesnt work doesnt go down well with Mark. Even though he admits numerous times that there is an issue with these blades wearing out, he offers me only 80% of the purchase price because " you have had it for 5 months ". Seemingly it doesnt matter to Mark that most of that 5 months has involved a non working product.

Unfortunately from this point, I havent used my iClebo Smart, its sitting in the corner with 3 worn out bin blades. Interesting Mark now claims on another
    public forum " he offered to supply new bin blades for the life of the product " yet there was no mention of this when I asked for a refund because I did not intend to be responsible for paying for new parts when the warranty ended.

Unfortunately I cant recommend the iClebo nor can I recommend Mark from Alpha Robot. His claims I used it too much by vacuuming once a day border on hilarity. I had very high hopes for iclebo, and whilst it does work well with a new rubber strip on it, you can guarantee it will only be working for a few vacuums. The " 2-3 " ml strip that Mark mentioned wearing off is enough to render the iClebo unusable on a hard flat floor. Clearly until iClebo fix this issue, you are wasting your money.

I did originally intend on writing a substantial review but have had to put it off for months while dealing with Alpha Robot so have made it alot shorter.
    For anyone wanting to try another brand of robot vacuum, Roomba seems to have a good name and can be bought from major stores like Harvey Norman. I wouldnt expect you would have the same warranty issues that I did if you bought from a large professional retailer.

Edit : Forgot to also mention that attempts to contact Yugin Robot directly failed. They have a number of dead contact email addresses and when I did find one that didnt bounce I got no reply.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

anyone (21-02-11),Lomax (21-02-11),mkhannah (24-03-11)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks

NEWS FLASH

From website

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRobot
    If you have a problem with either of our models be sure to let us know as soon as possible and at the very most within 3 months if you would like us to consider giving you a Full refund.

As you can see from the above, Alpha Robots, in clear breach of Australian Consumer law are stating that they will not give a refund after the unit is 3 months old.

So even if you have a constant (known and admitted by Alpharobot) problem like me, the other 9 months of your warranty are worthless. It certainly makes a joke of some the statements on their website about customers and warranty.

Steer clear !

Thanks

found this when looking for vacuum cleaners
    looks like somebodys reveiwing their own stock?

Re: iClebo Plus a robot vacuum cleaner???

Roomba knock off? ...I don't think so.
    I have a Yujin Robot plus "a" (alpha) that is about 1 year old now. It has been fantastic, I have given it a good work out and it's still going strong. It does a great job of finding dust & dirt or sand everyday, it usually finds it's docking station even from one room across a hall and into another room. I have only needed to change the Anti-bacterial filter ( if you are not worried about anti-bacterial effectiveness you can just rinse it under a tap & dry it out, as you can the mesh and anti-static filters) It still has the original brushes, the side brush is getting a bit 'S' shaped but still seems to work ok, the main brush is fine. It still cleans for around 100 minutes, no problems from the lithium-ion battery. I have found that it only takes a fraction of the time of pushing the old vac around to maintain this great little Robot. I just need to comb the hair out of the main brush, empty the bin & brush off the mesh filter after each use, then I just rinse the dust out of all the filters every couple of months, easy! I have no experience with Roomba but have read that they are high maintainence. plus alpha has better filtering, a better battery that powers its 30 watt motor (60 watts in Turbo Mode) for a longer time. (compared to Roomba's 5.5 watt motor & Nmh battery which suffers memory effect) These differences in specs were what sold me on plus alpha in the first place, and after 1 year I have to say I am more than happy with its performance and reliability.

Mark.

Smark

another post further down the page
    if this mark bloke isnt selling these ill go he

roomba parts? I don't think so..... Imitation? I don't think so... Yujin Robot have raised the bar!, plus alpha has better sensors (sharper, more accurate) Better battery, better filtering & more powerful motor that is quieter, all built in to a high quality unit. You must have blinkers on if you can't see the difference in specs.

Mark.

Smark

Last edited by 2rox; 02-03-11 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added to
    The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

Administrator
    Thanks

It does read like an advert doesnt it.

Administrator
    Thanks

Well the 4th part has also now failed which has rendered the unit totally useless and unusable. I am not going to bother contacting Alpha Robot for another one, Mark spends plenty of time reading the internet (when he isnt posting personal/false/defamatory information about his customers) and I have no doubt he will be reading this.

The 4th failure of the same kind (according to the manufacturer warranty) warrants a refund to the customer. Maybe I might start giving them a bit of stick a well.

2014 Austech AFL tipping champion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 804 Posts

I wouldn't stop contacting them. Hopefully he'll get sick of it all and offer you a refund. Everytime you call him, it's a reminder he is selling a crap product.

Administrator
    Thanks

I think every time someone Googles their product they get a reminder

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

circuit (15-11-11),Gregathome (24-03-11)