Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any NASA Space shuttle nuts out there?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Default Any NASA Space shuttle nuts out there?

I see Mission STS-133 Space Shuttle Discovery is due to be launched about this time tomorrow morning.

Is this only the last mission for this bird and not the entire shuttle program?

I see there is another mission STS-134 for the 19th of April but when I click on more info it goes to the STS-133 Mission.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I thought it was getting close to being the last Shuttle flight so maybe the April one is in case this one doesnt go ahead for any reason ?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

That Carl Kruselenski dude was heading over today and I thought they said on JJJ that it was the last mission so I'm a little confused.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

I thought it was the last flight of "Discovery".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by humax300 View Post
    I thought it was the last flight of "Discovery".
    That's how I kinda read it. The reason I'm interested is because I'm going to be there in April so hopefully there will be the schedules launch. My kids are only 6 and 3 (or almost 7 and 4 really) and I thought this would be something to say they were at even though they may not remember it. (ok it's really only for my and I need to justify it any way I can!)

....Leroy

Thanks

Well worth it Leroy, was at Kennedy Space Center a couple of years ago.

Make sure you get some astronaut ice-cream!
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bambbbam For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (24-02-11)

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Any NASA Space shuttle nuts out there?
    No, but I have the frame from the port side window!!!

Think about it.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

2rox (25-02-11),Arbiter (26-04-11),LeroyPatrol (24-02-11)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

According to the Yahoo coverage, this is the last Shuttle flight as you thought, Leroy.
    The April date may have been the next 'Window' in case this flight was delayed too long.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

This is the last for Discovery not the program according to this article. They mention the one when I will be there (Endeavour the 19th April) and Atlantis not eventuate due to funding the last in June.

Leroy

Edit:Also there was a feed through APTT UpCharlie on Asiasat 5 this morning
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 25-02-11 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Dislexia

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    ... The reason I'm interested is because I'm going to be there in April ... Leroy
    Even without a launch it blew us away but with one ...

I seem to remember something being said about a June launch. Obviously didn't take a lot of notice but are there two shuttles?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post
    Even without a launch it blew us away but with one ...

I seem to remember something being said about a June launch. Obviously didn't take a lot of notice but are there two shuttles?
    There were 5. A couple are MIA now

Leroy

Thanks

Last will be Atlantis:
    North Melbourne Football Club Membership 2012 - http://membership.kangaroos.com.au/
    IGNITE!! 2012!! GO NORTH!
    Support Hey Hey it's Saturday for 2011/2012! http://www.facebook.com/heyheyitssaturday
    Don't forget to say Thanks for useful posts!!!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Default End of an era - Discovery shuttle blasts off on last space odyssey

Courtesy Space Daily at

Discovery shuttle blasts off on last space odyssey

by Staff Writers
    Cape Canaveral, Florida (AFP) Feb 24, 2011

The shuttle Discovery blasted off Thursday on its final odyssey into orbit, marking the beginning of the end for what has been a central mission of the US space program for three decades.

NASA's most journeyed shuttle launched at 4:53 pm (2153 GMT) on its way to the International Space Station (ISS). When it returns next month, it will be the first of the three-member fleet to enter retirement.

"Good to be here," Discovery Commander Steve Lindsey said over the radio once the shuttle disappeared from sight and reached orbit.

The shuttle is transporting a spare closet module and the first humanoid robot to the ISS, and the 11-day mission is set to include two spacewalks.

"It has been a pretty tremendous day in space flight for us," said Bill Gerstenmaier, NASA associate administrator for space operations.

The US team received messages of encouragement from the Europeans after their ATV-2 spacecraft docked at the ISS hours before shuttle liftoff, "which was a great way to start the day," he added.

However, the last few moments before launch were fraught with anxiety as NASA engineers raced to fix a glitch that temporarily paralyzed some ground computers. The problem was resolved and did not delay the mission further.

Cracks on Discovery's bright orange external fuel tank emerged just before launch in early November, causing engineers to puzzle for many weeks over the cause and how to fix it.

In January, they agreed that installing small metal strips, called radius blocks, on the 6.7-meter (22-foot) U-shaped aluminum brackets would reinforce their strength.

The end of the shuttle program will create a gaping hole in the US space program during a period of belt-tightening and budget freezes, and will leave Russia's space capsules as the sole transit option to the ISS.

"Bittersweet" was the word of the day at Kennedy Space Center as astronauts, engineers and space fans crowded in to get a glimpse of history by watching Discovery's crowning launch 27 years after it first flew into space.

"There is no doubt the space shuttle is an engineering marvel," said NASA chief technologist Bob Braun.

"But it is an older vehicle. It is 30 years old; it was designed probably a decade before that," he continued.

"I think we all recognize we need to go to the next chapter. But any time you go to that next chapter, it is bittersweet."

The Discovery crew plans to deliver the Permanent Multipurpose Module, with extra storage space and an area for experiments, as well as some spare parts and the Express Logistic Carrier, an external platform for large equipment.

The shuttle will also bring the first humanoid robot to the ISS. The Robonaut 2, or R2, is a joint project of General Motors and NASA and will stay behind as a permanent resident of the space station when Discovery leaves.

When Discovery wraps up this tour, the oldest surviving shuttle will have flown more missions than any of its cohorts and toted 180 people into space, including the first female shuttle commander and the first African-American spacewalker.

The other two shuttles are scheduled for their final flights later this year: Endeavour on April 19 and Atlantis on June 28.

Discovery has broken new ground multiple times since it first launched in 1984. It transported the Hubble Space telescope, was the first to rendezvous with the Russian Mir Space Station and delivered part of the Japanese Kibo lab to the ISS.

The shuttle was also the first to return to space after two major disasters: the Challenger explosion in 1986 and the Columbia disaster in 2003, when that shuttle broke up on its return toward Earth.

Discovery has circled the globe more than 5,600 times and logged 142 million miles (230 million kilometers) over its 352 days in space.

Rachel Wiedemann, a Boeing lead engineer charged with monitoring the shuttle's thermal protection shield, spoke of an emotional launch day.

"This is the vehicle I am closest to, that I have the most experience working with," said Wiedemann. "It's my baby."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

bambbbam (25-02-11),LeroyPatrol (25-02-11)

Thanks

Leroy - if you get there around launch time, you'll get a special commemorative medal. Each edition is different, because each mission patch is different.

I've still got mine from STS-125.
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

LeroyPatrol (26-02-11)

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Be interested in the live streaming links people use??

Here's one I found...

__________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks

"On Saturday, the Orbiter Discovery was in space, circling hundreds of kilometres above our planet. Here’s an interesting picture of it… but wait a sec! If it was in orbit, what could cast a shadow across it?

Why, it’s the International Space Station itself! This shot is from Paolo Nespoli, an astronaut on the ISS. He snapped it as the Orbiter approached the station — docking was achieved on Saturday afternoon Eastern time. By the way, that's the coastline of Peru under the Orbiter.

This is the last scheduled flight of Discovery. When she undocks from ISS next week, it will be for the final time. However, you can experience this flight at least by proxy through Nespoli, who has an astonishing series of pictures on Flickr that he uploads in near real-time from space.

Think about that: a guy living in space is taking hi-res digital pictures and uploading them to the web so everyone with internet access can see. You can keep your flying cars: we do live in the future."

Image credit: NASA

SatGuRu (28-02-11)

Thanks

Amazing stuff. Still no way of watching this on satellite? I want to tape the last few missions, but they don't broadcast NASA TV anymore down here.

My usage isn't big enough to capture most of the mission via a stream if that is possible.
    North Melbourne Football Club Membership 2012 - http://membership.kangaroos.com.au/
    Support Hey Hey it's Saturday for 2011/2012! http://www.facebook.com/heyheyitssaturday

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatGuRu View Post
    Amazing stuff. Still no way of watching this on satellite? I want to tape the last few missions, but they don't broadcast NASA TV anymore down here.

My usage isn't big enough to capture most of the mission via a stream if that is possible.
    I mentioned where you often get NASA feeds above

Leroy

Thanks

when you get to the Space Centre , allow at least a whole day , maybe 2 if you want to see everything. I was there many years ago and you had a choice of the "modern day" exhibits or the "historical" exhibits. really great place.

Thanks

Be sure to take plenty of photos and upload some here for us to see your trip Leroy

• The Following User Says Thank You to SatGuRu For This Useful Post:

BillyGoat (06-03-11)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast