Thread: thinking about getting solar, is this offer OK

Thanks

Default thinking about getting solar, is this offer OK

Hi All,

I have been contemplating solar for a few years (never thought the cost and return was right, but as the kids are at school now we can minimize the elec during the day) and now I think I am ready to take the plunge, I saw this offer today and wondered if this is good, is there better etc..

thanks

Look Here ->
    Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

The only informaion I can give you is this......My 1.5KW system was $7500. My solar rebate was about $5000, leaving me about $2500 out of pocket. The company I went with also quoted me on a 2KW system which would have left me about $4000 out of pocket. The system was about $9400 less rebate.

So if you wish to extrapolate that info, you may determine if your quote is suitable, but in the end it will come down to what you can affort. I would have liked a 5KW or 10KW system but I had to be realistic.

regards

porkop
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks

What state ar you in? I just installed a 3KW system, which will be $10k after rebate, but included all metering, new breakers etc - new meter was fitted and I was grid connected same day as panel went on roof. I could have installed cheaper gear, but chose higher quality 245W panels with an Aurora inverter. The panels have a higher positive tolerance than most, meaning the 245W panel actually outputs up to 270ish Watts, and the Aurora inverter works down to a very low power input. As the panels drop off power due to low light - some inverters will just cut out - but the Aurora keeps on trooping on. Sure not full power, but a fewe extra hours morning and night all adds up. Mine runs approx. 12-13hrs at the moment, 2.94Kw of panels actally peaks at 3.2Kw. I get 60c/KW gross, so looking at $3k per year returns, payback in 3-4years.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ShaK For This Useful Post:

porkop (28-02-11)

Thanks

Looks like a reasonable offer. The panels are good and the inverter is very good.
    Have a look over at Whirlpool for some good answers to questions
    My 2c

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShaK View Post
    What state ar you in? I just installed a 3KW system, which will be $10k after rebate, but included all metering, new breakers etc - new meter was fitted and I was grid connected same day as panel went on roof. I could have installed cheaper gear, but chose higher quality 245W panels with an Aurora inverter. The panels have a higher positive tolerance than most, meaning the 245W panel actually outputs up to 270ish Watts, and the Aurora inverter works down to a very low power input. As the panels drop off power due to low light - some inverters will just cut out - but the Aurora keeps on trooping on. Sure not full power, but a fewe extra hours morning and night all adds up. Mine runs approx. 12-13hrs at the moment, 2.94Kw of panels actally peaks at 3.2Kw. I get 60c/KW gross, so looking at $3k per year returns, payback in 3-4years.
    I got 8 x 190W panels and a CMS1500. Have noticed it still working down to the single figure watt reading, ie, around dawn/dusk.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks

thanks all, I am in Vic (Melbourne)
    Last edited by mxd; 01-03-11 at 08:26 AM.

Thanks

I looked at CMS originally, and from what I have researched they are one of the better of the cheaper inverters - very efficient and has a wide voltage window, so they run down to around 90-100V input. Panels can vary in efficiency, cheaper panels need more light to yield same output, so on a cloudy day or low light, higher effiency panels of same wattage will be outputting more than some of the cheaper ones. I compared a few installed systems of diff makes and models before settling on my system. CMS, SMA and Aurora inverters all good (quality goes in that order), just need to note like anything in life you get what you pay for - bottom line dollar isn't everything. It's a one off investment now, but should bring returns for 25+ years - inverter will prob need replacing in that time for sure, but by the time it does, prices/technology should have improved.

Thanks

At a glance I'd give that system a thumbs up. SMA are good and suntech panel ok. I paid nearly $9k for a similar installation 8 months ago with the old rebate. Most problems with installs seem to be with inverter choice. The SMA should reduce your chance of after install headaches.
    Keep in mind you will cop the $850 extra because we are in zone 4 but see if they will negotiate on the additional km and other charges if applicable.
    My install was done by Braemac in Notting Hill, Melb, run the add and figures by them and see what they reckon. 1800 759 769.