Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless expander

Thanks

Unhappy Wireless expander

Hi All,

Spent most of two days on this with little to show.

The story so far.

Scenario 1
    WRT54GL router -> Linksys wireless expander -> Laptop unsecured connection works perfectly.

Scenario 2
    WRT54GL router -> Laptop secured connection works perfectly.

Scenario 3
    WRT54GL router -> Linksys wireless expander -> Laptop secured connection wont work.

The problem as I see it is the network won't allow communication through the wireless expander (Linksys WRE54G) even though its an item on the network with a registered IP and Mac address. I have used Linksys troubleshooting and online forum but keep going around circles. I have googled it and it seems like it has occurred before but no one is able to explain a fix. I would be grateful is sombody could point me in the right direction.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Never used a wireless expander so I can't help on that part of it. But I will tell you my preferred setup...

DD-WRT compatible routers. I use some WRT54G (2,2.2,1) each with 250mW radio's. Set them up for WDS and use where needed.

Even just the free antenna solves most problems.

What is the environment you are setting up in. Some well placed antenna's might do the trick.
    By reading this, you have already given me control over a tiny slice of your mind

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Thats a cool link for free antenna's thanks mate
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

They work on 2.4GHz video senders as well. Microwave used to wipe out the TV sender. With a Free Antenna on each end the picture is un-interrupted.

Getting 12dB out of a piece of cardboard and aluminum foil is impressive. I use photo paper for mine. Tend to last a bit longer.
    By reading this, you have already given me control over a tiny slice of your mind

Thanks

Hi covert,

I dont think its a coverage issue, because my place is very long and the router is at one end, and of course I need the laptop to work at the other end I need the expander to bridge the signal halfway down the house. The crux of the issue is trying to get the expander to accept the WEP or WPA, without the security protocols it works a treat, its just when you try to activate the security component it won't work. I am sure its a setting thing but I just can't crack it. For the record I am not impressed with linksys tech support, there web site is about as useful as a bucket on the titanic.

Cheers

Thanks

Have a play setting the Authentication Type to open or shared on both devices.

Thanks

Hi astro boy,

I kinda tried that but still got the same result. Good thought though.

Thanks

Yes its a simple problem that often stops the wireless from connecting with enc on.
    humm.. cant think of much else though,
    unless you try some different hardware?

Thanks

Thanks Astro,

I have invested a bit of cash in this setup and the funny thing is that when unsecured it works a treat. Its just trying to nut out the settings, thats killig me.

P.S
    I don't think much of Linksys Tech support sent an email on Monday and got a response that they would contact me in 24hrs. That was 4 days ago, top service, I got a great response from the guys from Netgear pity I didn't keep their gear.

Thanks

Start reading from page 14, you need to set it up for encryption.
    Dont just press the auto configuration button if running wep or wpa. Thats only for no encrytion level.
    You need to get in her and set her up, wep, password etc.
    The wireless expander needs to be setup with the same settings as the rest of the system otherwise its not part of your network when encyption is turned on.

Thanks

Hi Global,

Yes I am aware of that, but I can't seem to get that far into the system. Everytime I try this it wants to bypass the expander. The trick is trying to get the system to recognise it rather than ignore it and then apply encryption.

Cheers

Thanks

So you have run the wireless network wizard on page 10 to 11 (pdf 16 to 17)and has it found your network?

The Setup Wizard does not detect the Range Expander.
    Go through this checklist:
    • Press the Range Expander’s reset button (with a pin or a pen) for five seconds. This should reset the
    Range Expander’s settings back to their defaults.
    • Disconnect the Range Expander’s power for 30 seconds. Then, connect the power again.

A little more information as to where in the procedure things go stale mate may help.

Thanks

Thumbs down

Okay Global I have now wasted another 3 hours on this miserable piece of SHIT called expander. For the record I would strongly suggest people not use this Linksys shit as it was created by ****wits and certainly not proof read when laying out instructions.

I have reset the system 4 times and still get stopped at the stage when the system searches the network for an available wre54g expander. It says it can't find it even though its sitting next to the laptop. If you haven't gathered by now I am ****ING furious about wasting so much time on a piece of shit equipment that should be seamless to connect. As stated previously the system auto configs the laptop to my router no probs and even applies the encryption. the whole thing falls over when you try and get the laptop to communicate through the expander. As for Linksys tech support I've got a nasty email going their way for NO SUPPORT. I should have kept my netgear which worked well but was told to upgrade ............. what a joke.

Any thoughts?? beside throw the lot in the bin and start again?

Thanks

I like linksys, they are great, and with the custom firmwares they are even better.

Though Another question, Which setting do you have selected in the 'AP Mode' on the accesspoint.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myf360f1 View Post
    Okay Global I have now wasted another 3 hours on this miserable piece of SHIT called expander.

Any thoughts?? beside throw the lot in the bin and start again?

Yes one last thought you havent tryed yet.

Throw it back at the seller and take great care to whack him hard in the head with it.

I have netgear at home with no problems yet all over the web people bag it.

After what you just explained, having it sitting right next to the laptop and not being able to find it AND having reset it 4 times with no go, id be shoving it up the sellers arse if i got my hands on him.
    Let it expand his rear.

Yourve spent more than long enough on an item that should be just plug and play.

Go and get some netgear you wont regret it.

Thanks

IF ONLY I COULD Global, unfortunately i had it for nearly a year now so giving it back is a tall order. I have also heard people bag Netgear but as I said my 4 months using it was great as was their tech support. Will have to use without the expander for the time being until I can revert back to old faithful, when funds permit. Your comments were spot on and were exactly what I was thinking too.

Astro,

What AP mode? I can't see that anywhere. I started off with everything connected to the main router and unsecured then followed the linksys network setup. It really should not be like building an atomic power station, it should be more or less join the dots, which it is for setting the main router and the laptop and my Desktop, but adding the expander is where it goes off the rails.

Thanks

humm ok.
    Ive got a WAP54G sitting here, and it has a menu called AP modes.
    Allows you to enter the MAC address of other devices you want the AP to directly connect to.
    I thought the wrt might have that also, but never mind.

Thanks

Hi astro,

The AP are configured differently to the expanders. The AP's appaear to have more settings than the the wre's.

thanks anyway.

Thanks

Just having a read about the WRE54G and it is not the best for connecting to a WDS network. It would even not connect to a WRT54G/GL etc until linksys upgraded there firmware to support Lazy WDS.

First try this. Check you have the newest firmeware in the WRT54GL. Check you have eneabled Lazy WDS (if there is a option for it). Make sure the WRT54GL has the newest firmware.

If this fails I recommend using dd-wrt since it has great WDS support.

Thanks

Hey Covert,

Was recommended to use the WRE by Centrecom, so I followed their advice. Will have a look at your post in detail when I can spare some more time on this mongrel of a job. I certainly haven't undated any firmware but what your suggesting is very possibile. My only fear is that I don't want to brick either unit.

Thanks for the info I would never have thought to upgrade the firmware. will let you know how I go but it will be sometime.

Cheers

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast